Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why I say the Republican Party needs to get rid of the likes of the extremists and people who have said stupid things.
It's late tonight, but I will explain a scenario tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
And I would not disagree.
We're on the same page on this. Another question to ask is this. Why hasn't this been happening? I don't know if either one of us has the answer, but there are alot of questions to be asked.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
IMO, both instances cast far more lasting damage than even Romneys' idiotic 47% comment.

There really is such a thing as a compassionate conservative, but, unfortunately, when the economy tanked, the baby was thrown out with the bath water (that being anything having to do with "W"). His sanity regarding balancing social issues with economic (I like his heart on NCLB, no matter the outcome.), and his ease interacting with those who were not white and male were impressive for a GOP candidate. We need MORE, not less, of those, not to pander for votes, but because, contrary to many radical conservs on this board, I want all respected, as we are all REAL Americans.

As a white male, I am offended and turned off when mine is the only demographic I sense a candidate feels are REAL Americans. E Pluribus Unum
I think this is the most important thing. A new strategy where all people are respected, and given the correct vision of what it means to be American is needed. I'm as American as you, and you are as American as me. My friend from California of Chinese descent is as American as both of us, as is anyone who is an American citizen. We need more politicians to think like that.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That moment was as out of touch with America as the "Let him die" outburst at an earlier debate, regarding an uninsured man used as an example of dealing with that issue. Overall I found Perry stupid, but not at that moment. That night, on that issue, he was the lone sane candidate amongst a pack either crazy or acting crazy (Romney moved to the right of all on the issue-YISH!!).

IMO, both instances cast far more lasting damage than even Romneys' idiotic 47% comment.

There really is such a thing as a compassionate conservative, but, unfortunately, when the economy tanked, the baby was thrown out with the bath water (that being anything having to do with "W"). His sanity regarding balancing social issues with economic (I like his heart on NCLB, no matter the outcome.), and his ease interacting with those who were not white and male were impressive for a GOP candidate. We need MORE, not less, of those, not to pander for votes, but because, contrary to many radical conservs on this board, I want all respected, as we are all REAL Americans.

As a white male, I am offended and turned off when mine is the only demographic I sense a candidate feels are REAL Americans. E Pluribus Unum
I couldn't agree more. But we shouldn't "pander" to voters, but embrace their issues, and formulate a realistic solution for each specific problem.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. But we shouldn't "pander" to voters, but embrace their issues, and formulate a realistic solution for each specific problem.
I agree, and when one is comfortable amongst diverse populations as our last 3 Presidents have been, by the way, they are not pandering. I know BC had an adept politically savvy mind, but one could also sense his ease whether at a $25k dinner (taped), in rural america, or at a inner city function. I recall W's dancing at events with diverse populations. Pandering is counter-productive, but every bit as awful is an out of touch candidate who thinks of diverse groups as less than full, real Americans.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Finding solutions is what this needs to be about. A pragmatic approach is needed. The old way of doing things hasn't worked. It relies on short term thinking.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
That moment was as out of touch with America as the "Let him die" outburst at an earlier debate, regarding an uninsured man used as an example of dealing with that issue. Overall I found Perry stupid, but not at that moment. That night, on that issue, he was the lone sane candidate amongst a pack either crazy or acting crazy (Romney moved to the right of all on the issue-YISH!!).

The important thing to note is that he was "among a pack of Stupid" and they killed him for it, for showing tolerance to illegal immigrants.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
What would help the GOP in 2016 is a Christie run, with him announcing he is open to run either within the GOP or as an independent. That would prompt a very quick Day of Reckoning, for if CC ran as an independent, the GOP would lose several states Mccain won, without gaining any. In short, he'd have them by the short ones, and IMO, CC is the only Repub who is never going to be a piece of clay the TP can mold to their liking.

I'm a Corker fan heartened by his fiscal cliff flexible stance, but I need to see more of that from him to feel he'd also not be a piece of clay.

All others are either looney radical extremists or simply pieces of clay. MR became a piece of clay this year.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
What would help the GOP in 2016 is a Christie run, with him announcing he is open to run either within the GOP or as an independent. That would prompt a very quick Day of Reckoning, for if CC ran as an independent, the GOP would lose several states Mccain won, without gaining any. In short, he'd have them by the short ones, and IMO, CC is the only Repub who is never going to be a piece of clay the TP can mold to their liking.

I'm a Corker fan heartened by his fiscal cliff flexible stance, but I need to see more of that from him to feel he'd also not be a piece of clay.

All others are iether looney radical extremists or simply pieces of clay. MR became a piece of clay this year.
Maybe this is what is needed. Fresh ideas, people who aren't going to be easily influenced, who are going to be pragmatic. The Tea Party has basically proven to be a horrible influence in the Republican Party.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
I agree, and when one is comfortable amongst diverse populations as our last 3 Presidents have been, by the way, they are not pandering. I know BC had an adept politically savvy mind, but one could also sense his ease whether at a $25k dinner (taped), in rural america, or at a inner city function. I recall W's dancing at events with diverse populations. Pandering is counter-productive, but every bit as awful is an out of touch candidate who thinks of diverse groups as less than full, real Americans.
Indeed. Part of the key to George W. Bush's success in getting elected is the oft derided feeling people felt "he'd be good to have a beer with". But what that really translates to is that he seemed like he'd be comfortable with and could understand people from all walks of life, and so people felt he'd understand them and be capable of representing their interests, which is important if you're going to be the leader of a whole country full of lots of different kinds of people. That's what leaders are made of and GWB looked like he had that quality.

Of course, the reality of his presidency didn't quite meet that impression some people had of him, but it's worth remembering sometimes how he got elected in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections