U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM

755 posts, read 611,878 times

Advertisements

The Republicans got their best candidate here.
Capito Says She'll Make Bid for Rockefeller's Senate Seat - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

Capito is a more pragmatic and traditional Republican than the Club For Growth would like.
Club for Growth takes shot at Shelley Moore Capito

That actually bodes well for the GOP chances in taking this seat; she is very unlikely to pull a Richard Mourdock (or the equivalent). And she's no Specter or Snowe, inclined to buck the party line too often. But now it all hinges on Rockefeller. If he decides to retire this race is a likely Republican pickup. If he runs again he will be the favorite in the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM

9,312 posts, read 5,582,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Capito Says She'll Make Bid for Rockefeller's Senate Seat - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

Capito is a more pragmatic and traditional Republican than the Club For Growth would like.

That actually bodes well for the GOP chances in taking this seat; she is very unlikely to pull a Richard Mourdock (or the equivalent). And she's no Specter or Snowe, inclined to buck the party line too often. But now it all hinges on Rockefeller. If he decides to retire this race is a likely Republican pickup. If he runs again he will be the favorite in the race.
Actually, it doesn't all hinge on Rockefeller, it hinges on whether the GOP is willing and able to wrest control of the party from the RWNJs. As you note in your second link, conservatives on the far right have already signaled their intention to fight Capito because she isn't "pure" enough for them. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. It could give some insight into whether the GOP has learned anything from 2012 or not.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM

3,624 posts, read 2,962,415 times
i would say a rabid tea partier could win in WV. i see WV as a very backward state with many white racists.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM

27,233 posts, read 15,024,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i would say a rabid tea partier could win in WV. i see WV as a very backward state with many white racists.
You would be largely correct. There are some areas that are more progressive in their thinking such as Morgantown and Charleston. The town we came from - was a wealthy little suburb - with educated people - but there was no diversity whatsoever. The more rural areas - could definitely go tea party.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,371,324 times
Quote:
Well see that's your problem. You don't think.Thank you for proving that.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM

7,190 posts, read 5,259,248 times
Quote:
It's really not that simple. Look at candidates like John Raese - anti-abortion, anti-equality, pro-DADT, anti-education, anti-science, anti-tax. He's been running since the mid-80s and still hasn't managed to win.

Yes, large swaths of WV are filled with poor white racist trash, but it also still has a strong labor history that makes it easy for conservative Democrats to win.

The GOP won't be running against a Ted Kennedy or Sherrod Brown. They'll be running against someone whose positions are more like Olympia Snowe or John McCain before he became an angry bitter old man.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,715,891 times
Quote:

If Club for Growth is against her then she is likely to pull a Tea Party fanatic to challenge her in a primary.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,715,891 times
Quote:
Only if said rabid tea partier was running against a black person. WV is heavily Democratic it is just also heavily racist as well. Something like 20% of White Democrats in 2008 admitted that race played a major role in their voting during the primary between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. That is much higher then Mississippi and for every 1 person who admitted race played an important role there were probably at least 2 more that didn't have the chutzpah to tell an exit poll interviewer that it did. Remember we are talking about a state where Democratic primary goers gave 41% of the vote to a convicted felon in a Texas jail over Obama. Now I can understand disagreeing with Obama, but if an imprisoned cult leader is getting 41% something is up.

With that said WV is heavily Democratic where everything else is concerned. Democrats out number Republicans 2-1 and run the state.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 AM

7,293 posts, read 3,972,204 times
Quote:

How's the view, lookin' down that nose?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,307,363 times
Quote:

Rockefeller is much more liberal than Joe Manchin or the late Robert Byrd. I have seen quite a few polls that show him losing to her.
West Virginia has went from a deep Democratic state(with the exceptions of the 72 and 84 landslides)to becoming a state that has went red in 4 straight elections,by larger margins each year. In November it went 62% for Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or