U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM

755 posts, read 611,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Let me remind you that Obama only won with 51%, hardly a landslide. If the GOP had nominated a true Constitutional Conservative, odds are every Gary Johnson/Ron Paul voter would have voted Republican and we would have been facing a 2000 recount.
It's amusing that you bring up the popular vote, because that makes the GOP situation look even worse -- while it has lost 4 of 6 Presidential elections, it has lost the popular vote 5 of 6 times.

And the House elections? Democratic House candidates got over 1.1 millions more votes than Republican House candidates -- it was redistricting and gerrymandering that saved the day for the GOP.

So go on and keep blathering about how 51% doesn't mean squat, as the demographic wall for the GOP grows and grows every four-year cycle.

"But! But! We just shoulda been more hard-assed, then we woulda won!"

Brilliant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM

44,321 posts, read 35,381,178 times
What party, you ask?

Republicans.

Conservatives.

We will be coming back. We're not going anywhere.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,469,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
What party, you ask?

Republicans.

Conservatives.

We will be coming back. We're not going anywhere.
LOL! Yeah, you and Sarah Palin will be back and better than ever! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Who will her running mate be? Bachmann? LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,579,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What exactly is a true Constitutional Conservative, are they easier to find than a True Scotsman?

You are delusional if you think the people that voted for Gary Johnson/Ron Paul are going to vote for a pro-war, anti-choice, anti-gay, Christian theocrat Republican.
Why, they may be harder to find than a True Scotsman, tis a sad fact. It seems to me that every single politician in both parties fails to stand by their principles, once they get elected. Romney was another Scott Brown, RINO. Who says that Constitutional Conservatives are "pro-war"? That's just plain stupid. Constitutional Conservatives support a strong defense of our borders and ports and American interests, if our national security is threatened. Most do NOT support "nation building" and being the world's police. I would venture to say most, with the exception of RINOs like John McCain, Susan Collins and Kelly Ayotte, would support reducing all aid to the UN and severing U.S. ties with UNESCO.

I also find your stereotyping of the GOP as "anti-choice" (I'm assuming that means anti-abortion) and anti-gay as misinformed and Draconian. Roe V Wade is the law. Nobody is going to stop you from killing all the fetuses you want to your heart's content. However, most people with a conscience, would support ending live birth terminations or 3rd trimester abortions.

I couldn't care less whether gays marry or not. Makes no difference to me. The issue becomes sticky when gay couples seek to adopt children.

No Christian Republicans, that I'm aware of, have advocated a Christian theocracy. Our country was founded on freedom of religion. Government shall establish no religion .... the Establishment Clause is part of our Constitution. Uphold the Constitution and you have nothing to fear in terms of a theocracy.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,579,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
It's amusing that you bring up the popular vote, because that makes the GOP situation look even worse -- while it has lost 4 of 6 Presidential elections, it has lost the popular vote 5 of 6 times.

And the House elections? Democratic House candidates got over 1.1 millions more votes than Republican House candidates -- it was redistricting and gerrymandering that saved the day for the GOP.

So go on and keep blathering about how 51% doesn't mean squat, as the demographic wall for the GOP grows and grows every four-year cycle.

"But! But! We just shoulda been more hard-assed, then we woulda won!"

Brilliant...
You think Libertarians are more "hard assed" than old school Republicans? Really? Most Libertarians I know support legalization of drugs, oppose foreign intervention and feel a person should be allowed to put whatever they want into their own body, as long as it does no harm to others. They believe in smaller, limited government and the self-reliance and ingenuity of the individual. And following the Constitution. Hardly seems hard-assed to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
You think Libertarians are more "hard assed" than old school Republicans? Really? Most Libertarians I know support legalization of drugs, oppose foreign intervention and feel a person should be allowed to put whatever they want into their own body, as long as it does no harm to others. They believe in smaller, limited government and the self-reliance and ingenuity of the individual. And following the Constitution. Hardly seems hard-assed to me.
the only place where I might agree Libartarians are "Hard Assed" might be they do seem to think,there is only one way and it has to be theirs: no bending, but other than that I would agree with you.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:12 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,272,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Since we have to have a presidential election in 2016, what party will take on the Democrats?
I ask since the Democratic party is the only party left at this point in the USA.
My feeling is that if a new party does not step forward to replace the former Republican party then President Obama should be allowed to stay on for a third term.
So I ask you, if there is in fact a new party ready to step up to the plate in 2016, knowing that they will not be the Republican party, who will they be... Or, are we ready to accept the fact that Mr. Obama should stay on until at least 2020? I think he should, based on the amount of damage that has been done. What do you think?
The Republican party obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or