Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times

Advertisements

... living next next door to the Millers in La Jolla, practically in sight of a huge Temple, and back on the board of Marriott Inc... Not too surprising, I guess, that after all the trauma and stress, he'd seek comfort within the known and familiar arms of his tightly knit clan. But maybe it's time to ask...

We know Romney's candidacy was a catastrophe for the GOP. But what about for the LDS Church? I mean, this was going to be the "Mormon Moment", remember? A sort of national "coming out party"?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QHWw9nHasvaP8Q

So what do you think? What was the impact of the Romney campaign on Mormonism in America? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
... living next next door to the Millers in La Jolla, practically in sight of a huge Temple, and back on the board of Marriott Inc... Not too surprising, I guess, that after all the trauma and stress, he'd seek comfort within the known and familiar arms of his tightly knit clan. But maybe it's time to ask...

We know Romney's candidacy was a catastrophe for the GOP. But what about for the LDS Church? I mean, this was going to be the "Mormon Moment", remember? A sort of national "coming out party"?

So what do you think? What was the impact of the Romney campaign on Mormonism in America? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
I think it did the Mormon Church a LOT of good and brought it a bit more into the mainstream in the eyes of most Americans - which is a good thing. Personally I feel there's nothing wrong with the Mormon religion. It's a bit intrusive for me personally, but for those seeking that kind of religion - one where members really do take care of the church and the church in turn really does take care of the members - I say go for it. I have extended family members who are Mormons as well as one of my very best and oldest friends who's one. In my experience Mormons are FINE people - some of the finest I've ever met. I don't tend to agree with them politically very often but so what?

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I think it did the Mormon Church a LOT of good and brought it a bit more into the mainstream in the eyes of most Americans - which is a good thing. Personally I feel there's nothing wrong with the Mormon religion. It's a bit intrusive for me personally, but for those seeking that kind of religion - one where members really do take care of the church and the church in turn really does take care of the members - I say go for it. I have extended family members who are Mormons as well as one of my very best and oldest friends who's one. In my experience Mormons are FINE people - some of the finest I've ever met. I don't tend to agree with them politically very often but so what?

Ken

Very good mature attitude to have, i respect that. Infact i have many friends, who feel that all religions out there, are intrusive, maybe some more then others, but none the less intrusive.

People ought not talk about people in certain religions, without being 100% commited to theirs, and without having first hand knowledge and experience with said religion. People can imagine all they want, without first hand knowledge, that is merely what it is.

I too know some very find outstanding citizens who are Mormons, some of the finest nicest caring people i have met, and not phoney in the least? Nor are they hypocrites.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Very good mature attitude to have, i respect that. Infact i have many friends, who feel that all religions out there, are intrusive, maybe some more then others, but none the less intrusive.

People ought not talk about people in certain religions, without being 100% commited to theirs, and without having first hand knowledge and experience with said religion. People can imagine all they want, without first hand knowledge, that is merely what it is.

I too know some very find outstanding citizens who are Mormons, some of the finest nicest caring people i have met, and not phoney in the least? Nor are they hypocrites.
Thanks.
I have to admit I'm not a fan of religion (at least for me personally) but folks have a right to follow the religion of their choice. Maybe that attitude comes from the fact that I come from a family that has a little bit of everything in it - with extended family members who are Christians, Muslims, Jews and Brahmans and comprising pretty much every race on the planet. We are a family of "mutts" and damn proud of it.

Ken

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
The fact that Mitt behaves more like a rich episcopailian or presbyterian than anything probably helps the LDS with mainstream protestants.

The fact that he didn't have horns and a tail might have helped with fundies and pentecostals.

All in all I think it probably helped but as long as they keep sending the kids on bicycles to your house I think Americans will always kind of associate them with the JWs and other semicultish sects of christendom.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

what is your problem and why wouldn't he live where he wants,and near who he wants? Now, isn't it time you strat telling us just how great the Pres is and what he is going to accomplish instead of beating a dead horse? The election is over, we have another year before the primaries for mid terms even kick off so why are you continueing blasting Romney??

Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

Ouch, now you are taking shots at the mormon church because of your political views.

Pathetic.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ouch, now you are taking shots at the mormon church because of your political views.

Pathetic.
You (and Nita above) misunderstood my post.

All I am asking is, for peoples's perspectives on what, if any, impact Mitt Romney's campaign will have on the LDS Church and American society.

I'm thankful for the thoughtful responses so far, and am particularly interested in getting a Mormon perspective.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Pathetic.
You're trying way too hard to take offense.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM

756 posts, read 714,266 times
Back to the cult, eh

Maybe they'll build Willard a little Oval Office in that Temple to cheer him up a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections