Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

I guess one shouldn't be overly surprised about Republicans saying one thing and doing another, but there's a modest consolation in the fact that - for all the GOP behind-the-scenes support of Mr. Legitimate Rape - the voters found a way to shut his candidacy down, legitimately.

NRSC funneled $760K to Missouri GOP in final days of election - The Hill's Ballot Box

Funny, isn't it? The GOP clears away from his position as fast their feet can carry him, then decide to slip him 3/4 of a million and change (but discreetly), then go on to lose by 15 percentage points anyway. Well, the money entered the local economy and I guess that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM

756 posts, read 714,266 times

Like they say ... fools and their money are soon parted...

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
What's $760,000 on top of the One... Billion... Dollars... (Dr. Evil emphasis) they blew this election? This is supposedly the party that wants to cut fiscal waste and balance the budget (until they get back in power).

Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess one shouldn't be overly surprised about Republicans saying one thing and doing another, but there's a modest consolation in the fact that - for all the GOP behind-the-scenes support of Mr. Legitimate Rape - the voters found a way to shut his candidacy down, legitimately.

NRSC funneled $760K to Missouri GOP in final days of election - The Hill's Ballot Box

Funny, isn't it? The GOP clears away from his position as fast their feet can carry him, then decide to slip him 3/4 of a million and change (but discreetly), then go on to lose by 15 percentage points anyway. Well, the money entered the local economy and I guess that's a good thing.
Because the Repugnants want to keep their hatred of women low key (it didn't work) so they publically condemn their home grown idiots who say out loud what most Republicans think....they still want to pass as much anti-women legislation as possible but don't want attention drawn to it.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Only one of many, many reasons why I only donate directly to a candidate and not to a massive party machine.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:24 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

What the NRSC has done is undermined future threats to withhold funding in similar situations.

And for what? For a race that was all but lost. There was never any evidence that Akin could come back. All the polls post-gaffe showed a solid McCaskill lead. (Though I guess we've seen that the GOP thought all polls were completely baseless, unless they showed Republican winning)

So they not only threw money after a lost cause, but they squandered credibility in doing so.

Real smooth, NRSC...

Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
What else could they do if they wanted a Senate majority? Betting on a crippled horse is still much better than betting on a dead horse, even if the cripple is a very long shot. That crippled horse may be beaten to pieces by his jockey, but as long as he staggers on, someone is gonna put $2 bucks on him. And the jockey will still get the credit if, by a miracle, the cripple wins by a nose.

Akin was a win/win. His party could dump all over him, but would have certainly wiped the poo off fast enough if he had squeaked out a win.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
What else could they do if they wanted a Senate majority? Betting on a crippled horse is still much better than betting on a dead horse, even if the cripple is a very long shot. That crippled horse may be beaten to pieces by his jockey, but as long as he staggers on, someone is gonna put $2 bucks on him. And the jockey will still get the credit if, by a miracle, the cripple wins by a nose.

Akin was a win/win. His party could dump all over him, but would have certainly wiped the poo off fast enough if he had squeaked out a win.
This, this, this^^^^!

From what I could gather, Repubs didn't really believe that Akin was damaged goods, and I actually heard news that he WASN'T down in the polls on conservative talk radio. That's Missouri after all, and being a pseudo-Southern state, they figured that the local yokels hated Obama enough that it had enough residual power and momentum to knock off McCaskill regardless of what Akin said.

Seriously...this election is all the proof you need to understand just how tuned out of reality they were. If it didn't come out of their own echo chamber, they disregarded it outright. I actually thought that liberals exaggerated the conservative's propensity for believing anything their leadership and wacko pundits tells them. I was annoyed by that accusation because I thought it was silly. But damn, it really IS true no matter how you slice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections