Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
She would not win the GOP nomination, but she'd win the general if she was somehow nominated by the GOP.

Kinda like Gary Johnson or Ron Paul, they'd be able to win all GOP votes and they'd be able to steal independents and even some Democrats/Libertarians with their views.
I highly doubt RPON Paul por gray Johson could win any general eelction. But that aside Rice very well could wi the nimination of the GOP. One has to remmber that first thing parties want is a winner as the winner is pretty much a representaive of teh platform. No president just gets his way especially i thsi time of special interest groups by the thousands.But I reallty highly doubt that Rice wants to be president just like mnay of the most capable people do not want to got hru the trashig process. Some woul;dn't eve take administratio jobs because of going thru the conformation circus now days.I don't think many beleive we get the smartest guys i nthe room in political candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Barack Obama is one of those exceptions that comes along only once or twice a century. Both parties get them equally, and the one thing all the exceptional Presidents share is their ability to capture the voter's imaginations and inspire the voters. They seldom come out of nowhere. Most often, they have been around for a while, but just weren't noticed until their time came. They all leave their mark that lasts far after they're gone, and most have been pretty good at the job of being President. All of them have been controversial during their terms in office.

Most of the time, our choices are experienced sound people who aren't all that inspiring but are capable enough. More rarely, we end up with someone who isn't well suited for the job, and even more rarely, we get someone who simply is not fit to be our leader. No matter who we have in the White House at the moment, there is always going to be a lot of dispute as to all of this from the opposing party.

But at the same time, the majority of us has a pretty good sense of knowing who's most qualified at the moment to lead us through the present time we are going through. Sometimes we are wrong, but most of the time, that sense proves to be right.

Obama will be gone in 2016, and it is unlikely that we'll see another meteoric rise like his for a long time to come. Whoever runs and wins in 2016 will probably be someone who most of us see as being the most competent at the moment, but won't have the star quality Obama, Reagan, FDR or Teddy Roosevelt had. But we'll want another star, and we'll be looking for another, even though we most probably won't get one as a choice.

Condi Rice was a good counselor for her President- every bit as good as Kissinger, Vance, and Baker were for theirs, but she lacked the personal qualities, determination and force of will all of those others possessed as Secretary of State. Like those others, once she was done, she left Washington for good.

Have James Baker, Cyrus Vance, or Henry Kissinger ever come back? Nope. Once a senior statesmen, their place is secure, both in history and in whatever career they choose for their later lives. Rice is no different.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Barack Obama is one of those exceptions that comes along only once or twice a century. Both parties get them equally, and the one thing all the exceptional Presidents share is their ability to capture the voter's imaginations and inspire the voters. They seldom come out of nowhere. Most often, they have been around for a while, but just weren't noticed until their time came. They all leave their mark that lasts far after they're gone, and most have been pretty good at the job of being President. All of them have been controversial during their terms in office.

Most of the time, our choices are experienced sound people who aren't all that inspiring but are capable enough. More rarely, we end up with someone who isn't well suited for the job, and even more rarely, we get someone who simply is not fit to be our leader. No matter who we have in the White House at the moment, there is always going to be a lot of dispute as to all of this from the opposing party.

But at the same time, the majority of us has a pretty good sense of knowing who's most qualified at the moment to lead us through the present time we are going through. Sometimes we are wrong, but most of the time, that sense proves to be right.

Obama will be gone in 2016, and it is unlikely that we'll see another meteoric rise like his for a long time to come. Whoever runs and wins in 2016 will probably be someone who most of us see as being the most competent at the moment, but won't have the star quality Obama, Reagan, FDR or Teddy Roosevelt had. But we'll want another star, and we'll be looking for another, even though we most probably won't get one as a choice.

Condi Rice was a good counselor for her President- every bit as good as Kissinger, Vance, and Baker were for theirs, but she lacked the personal qualities, determination and force of will all of those others possessed as Secretary of State. Like those others, once she was done, she left Washington for good.

Have James Baker, Cyrus Vance, or Henry Kissinger ever come back? Nope. Once a senior statesmen, their place is secure, both in history and in whatever career they choose for their later lives. Rice is no different.
excellant post and pretty much right on. I may not like Obama and I certainly do not think he is a good Pres but you ae right about his capturing the imagination and his ability to excite the voters. Reagan had the same ability and so did Kennedy. it has nothing to do with their being a good or bad choice or which side you are on, it has to do with personality..

Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What positions has she taken that make her attractive as a Republican and conservative candidate?
The Neocons would support her now infamous ficticious "Mushroom Cloud" routine.

Quote:
As ThinkProgress noted, then national security adviser Rice argued in September 2002 that Saddam had "links to terrorism [that] would include al-Qaeda." But on Wednesday, the former Secretary of State traveled back in time to whitewash history:

ROSE: But you didn't believe it had anything to do with 9/11.

RICE: No. No one was arguing that Saddam Hussein somehow had something to do with 9/11.

ROSE: No one.

RICE: I was certainly not. The President was certainly not...That's right. We were not arguing that.

Of course, Rice wasn't the only one in the Bush White House contending "there were ties going on between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's regime," as she insisted as late as September 2006. Echoing President Bush's farewell in January, former press...
Condi Rice Denies Bush Pushed Bogus Saddam - 9/11 Link | Crooks and Liars

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I think Condi is decent, but she would just remind us of Bush II. Few people on either side of the aisle want that.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Condi "Mushroom Cloud" Rice will never be President..Her link to Dubya damns her more than Jeb's.
Also, when did she come out gay? People are just throwing that out but I've never heard of her making mention of it. Is it because she's still single and and keeps her private life private...

Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Condi "Mushroom Cloud" Rice will never be President..Her link to Dubya damns her more than Jeb's.
Also, when did she come out gay? People are just throwing that out but I've never heard of her making mention of it. Is it because she's still single and and keeps her private life private...
first of all: I agree she will never be pres, I don't think she has any desire to be in the public eye anymore. She hasn't come out gay, wherther she is or isn't is still a question. It seems someone has posted she owns a home (the one in Ca I believe) with a good female friend..Other than that I don't know of anything that indicates she is gay. Lets face it, this seems to be the topic of discussion everytime a question comes up about candidates. Rumors had it Perry was gay,some say the pres has been known to visit bath houses, none of this has ever been proven or even close to proven...

Nita

Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
She would make history like Obama did. She would be the first woman president, and the first black woman president elected. How's that?
She not married, she's pro-choice, the Republican hard right would never except that.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Condi has the chops. The big question is, will the republican party nominate her if her girlfriend comes along with the package..?
What in the name of Andy Papajohn does her alleged "girlfriend" have to do with the quality of air traffic control in the Washington ARTCC?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
She not married, she's pro-choice, the Republican hard right would never except that.
I am described by liberals on this forum as "hard right" despite the fact that I am consistently in support of ending the war on drugs, against the death penalty, and advocate for common sense environmental regulation.

Condalezza Rice would get my vote in a heartbeat, which by the way is stopped when an abortion takes place.

P.S. - the word you are trying to use is "accept", I believe, not "except".

Some of the libs on this forum need to work on their spelling and grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections