Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM

362 posts, read 559,923 times

Advertisements

Clint Eastwood..... nope, too old.

But really, just had a conversation with my Dad yesterday, and we both agree it's going to take some star power to win it back. The politicians just carry too much baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Sean Hannity or Ted Nugent

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I'm probably voting 3rd party next time so I don't give a crap lol

Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
I could see someone like Chris Christie making VA, CO, IA, OH, and FL very competitive and even putting some blue states in play. Aside from that I think any of the current crop would get crushed against anything but a weak Democratic candidate.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Sarah Palin, but for entertainment purposes. I think she will run but I doubt she will get the nomination
Add Nikki Haley to the ticket and you've got a winner!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM

215 posts, read 182,308 times
Another guy who ran this year was Thadeus McCotter (House, MI), but is far too unknown, has a bit of a weird name, isn't the best looking guy in the world either. So he will probably never make it into the discussion.

Colonel West from Florida is an interesting pick. I think he would be a great VP. Too bad Patreus turned out to be an adulterer otherwise he would've been a viable candidate.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
Who's on your short list? I personally long for the day Rand runs (successfully) and finishes what his father the great patriot Dr. Paul fell short in doing.

God forbid another Bush runs (Jeb). While I liked Chris Christie I find to generally be a RINO. Paul Ryan might be a viable candidate. Not sold on Rubio at this time.

You?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Who you want to see run for GOP presidential in 2016?

Someone who isn't a nut. I suspect that's a very short list.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM

215 posts, read 182,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Who you want to see run for GOP presidential in 2016?

Someone who isn't a nut. I suspect that's a very short list.
So you want to see Michelle Bachman run again.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You mention Ron Paul: he is totally out of politics now.

My list and I really think it is too early for most of us to have a clear preferance: I think, those who think they may want to run, are probably setting up the game plan already.

Off the top of my head I think I would say:

Maybe Rand Paul
Rubio
Suzanna Martinez
Ryan
Christie (maybe but I think he killed himself with his reaction to Obama, plus I think he has a few other problems)
Jeb Bush, long shot.
I am sure there are a 1/2 dozen others that just don't come to my mind right now.
Huntsman only has one thing going for him, his looks, he is a RINO, not a very dynamic and not much personality...Santorum was through before he got started..Or I hope, anyway.
Thank you Nita, I meant Rand Paul, and while he might be a viable candidate down the road...IMO he's smarter and smoother than his father...I don't see 2016 being his year.

But who knows? Obama came out of nowhere, the GOP might have the same thing and I'm sure we'll see a lot of names floated over the next two years. I like Jeb Bush, but half the country starts waving their hands around as if warding off the evil eye whenever the Bush name comes up. I've read Santorum is interested in 2016, and while some Tea Partiers I know like him, moderate Republicans can't be bothered, and I don't know anyone who likes Huntsman.

And that concerns me. I don't see the GOP putting up anyone with the gravitas or resume of a Hillary Clinton, and I do know a lot of Republicans who would vote for her. The GOP will have to field someone who excites the electorate the way Obama did, but I don't see that happening. For now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections