Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Chuck Hagel

Republican. Hagel is no longer one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Huntsman was the only candidate who knew all the Democratic strengths and weaknesses. He was also the only candidate that was potentially acceptable to the independents and moderates in both parties, and to those who are indifferent to party positions.

He's also the only Republican who, in the same room, was as smart as Obama.

The only question is: does Huntsman have the fire in his belly to want to be President? I believe he does. But he's too smart to allow himself to be the bitter medicine the Republican party must take if they hope to win the office in 2016. Right now, they Repubs are happier sticking to the same old hyperbole that has cost them so dearly twice in a row, and they show no signs of giving up being self-righteous losers yet.
Maybe by 2014 they will start seeing the light. I hope so. Both our parties are equally good at going rotten at the stump when they have too large a majority for too long. They both need strong contenders who appeal to a lot of people outside their bases to keep things running and governing well.

I think Huntsman would declare again if he believes the timing is right. He's young enough to hit it in 2020 if 2016 still looks as bad for his party as it does now. He also can be the benefactor of Mitt's organization if he decides to run in 2016; while the organization wasn't powerful enough to effectively match the Democrats this time, that is not to say that it could never be, and Mitt is going to comb through his defeat thoroughly.

Romney is a guy who actually learns from his mistakes; that's what made Bain successful. Now that he's out for good, it is easy for me to see that he will use his expertise to build a better Republican machine. That would be his most fitting legacy to his party. And it doesn't hurt Huntsman to have the Mormons behind him, either. The LDS church is one tightly organized outfit from top to bottom. They have a ton of most excellent organizers who will be glad to volunteer their skills for Jon Huntsman.
Jon Huntsman all the way!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Smile Who you want to see run for GOP presidential in 2016?

I want some combo of the "mixed nuts" from this year's campaign.

Deliciously different

An intriguing possibility

The GOP's best. Who could the Dems possibly come up with to counter these power-pols?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 AM

Talking The party of chickenhawkery, "strong on national defense!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Hagel is a decorated combat veteran. That disqualifies him from GOP consideration.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 AM

215 posts, read 182,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I want some combo of the "mixed nuts" from this year's campaign.

Deliciously different

An intriguing possibility

The GOP's best. Who could the Dems possibly come up with to counter these power-pols?
No and no. Actually, hell no and hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Hagel I would actually consider voting for. However, I think I'd rather see him as secretary of defense.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 AM

While I am pretty much a social and fiscal conservative, I do tend to find myself more of a moderate every once in a while.

That said, IMO Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul are arguably the best two possible candidates this country has had in the last couple decades. At least in recent memory.

While I am aware that Rand's kind of politics is different from his father, I still believe in his vision for this country and know his father will be an influential figure/mentor should some how, some way Rand ever receive the post.

I wonder what people think of Senator John Thune (R-SD)? There was some small talk he was going to run in 2012 but it naever came to fruition.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
No and no. Actually, hell no and hell no.
Careful! That comment would seem to brand you as a RINO on this forum.

Quote:
Hagel I would actually consider voting for. However, I think I'd rather see him as secretary of defense.

Watch the Pubs in the senate do their worst to prevent that from happening.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Careful! That comment would seem to brand you as a RINO on this forum.
I think Bachmann is very intelligent. You don't get a Master of Laws Degree in Tax Law from William and Mary Law School unless you're very intelligent. Santorum I'm not real big on; neither am I on Cain or Perry.

Quote:
Watch the Pubs in the senate do their worst to prevent that from happening.
Apparently he isn't a pro-Zionist stooge, so, yeah, It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default Who you want to see run for GOP presidential in 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
Who's on your short list? I personally long for the day Rand runs (successfully) and finishes what his father the great patriot Dr. Paul fell short in doing.

God forbid another Bush runs (Jeb). While I liked Chris Christie I find to generally be a RINO. Paul Ryan might be a viable candidate. Not sold on Rubio at this time.

You?

My picks:

Gingrich (sounds smart to dumb people) for prez.

Bachmann (sounds sane to nutballs) for veep.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hagel is a decorated combat veteran. That disqualifies him from GOP consideration.
oh yes, wasn't McCain the same? or do you not consider a prisoner of war a hero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections