Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,817,443 times

Advertisements

Prove that you are interested in changing as a party and take this initiative seriously.

3-5 legit black candidates. Not asking for 20, not asking for 10. 3-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Prove that you are interested in changing as a party and take this initiative seriously.

why do some of you think playing the race card is the only thing that matters anymore?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,356,955 times
Quote:

They will probably do that since they did it in 2012.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM

17,640 posts, read 13,477,684 times
The problem with GOP black candidates is that they try too hard. They tend to pander to their constituency just like the "poverty pimps" do to theirs.

The GOP needs to find a moderate or two to run..............but they won't.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,286,911 times
Quote:

The number of black Republican congressional candidates in 2010 was 32:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us...acks.html?_r=0

Guess it is time for you to take the GOP seriously. You're 2.5 years late, but better late than never.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem with GOP black candidates is that they try too hard. They tend to pander to their constituency just like the "poverty pimps" do to theirs.

Noticed that too? And i don't know why. Black Republicans automatically walk to the front of the line over there, and yet, they can't help themselves. They're always trying to outdo the whites on that side of the aisle so they don't look suspect.

Black conservatives are always going overboard with their conservatism, and it shows. Always sounding extreme. That's the problem with converts...they give themselves away with their overzealousness.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM

29,179 posts, read 22,184,672 times
I'm curious, desertdetroiter-
What did you think of Michael Steele? Do you think he went overboard, or was simply ineffective?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM

605 posts, read 1,160,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I think they do on occasion. You have to take them as what they're worth...GOP members. Of course you have Allen West and that dude from South Carolina, who I think got re-elected unlike west. But then you had that woman from Utah, Mia Love, who almost one, and while some of her views might be "crazy" they weren't quite so abnormal enough, or at least her behavior wasn't, to make headlines, unlike that dude West. And of course GOP has non-elected moderates like Powell.

Oh and Michael Steele seems to have cooled down the crazy.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM

5,233 posts, read 6,158,577 times
I think Steele's big problem was that he was more of a mid 2000s appeal to the middle center right guy at a time when the Republicans went far right. He never seemed to fit the party and the Tea Party not the RNC feuled the 2010 gains. He was oddly irrelevent.

FWIW- the Republicans always have at least 10 AA candidates for the Senate/House. The problem is many are Rs in heavily D districts. They have a better chance with white districts/states than in monority house districts.

Right now the Rs have a black senator, two Indian-American Governors and a number of high profile Hispanic Governors, House members & a Senators.

BTW- the SC black house member just got appointed to the Senate.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm curious, desertdetroiter-
What did you think of Michael Steele? Do you think he went overboard, or was simply ineffective?
Love him. Think he's bright, ambitious, full of good ideas, and has always been very fair in his assessments. He's not the only black Republican i like. There are many. I'm also fond of J.C. Watts, and i gave away about 5 copies of his autobiography to friends of mine. I'm also fond of Larry Elder, Thomas Sowell, Herman Cain, Eldridge Cleaver, Arthur Fletcher, Niger Ennis, Amy Holmes, Condi Rice, Rod Paige, Armstrong Williams, Tony Brown, Shelby Steele, John McWhorter....and a few more that i can't think of right now. In fact, i've always been a big advocate of blacks joining the Republican party and taking on conservative ideals to avoid becoming a one dimensional people politically.

The white (and black) conservatives on this board won't believe me, but that's the truth. I've got no reason to lie. I think Republicans have some great free market ideas on lots of issues. But truth be told, i'm a Roosevelt-Clinton Democrat, so the party platform isnt for me. But i'd be more than happy to adopt bits of pieces of their ideas. Especially those on education. I think Republicans have better ideas on education so long as they quit beating up on teachers and denigrating liberals for dominating higher education....as if it's the fault of liberals that conservatives don't join academia in large numbers.

So that's where i stand. Thanks for asking instead of making assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections