Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times

Advertisements

Harrier go away, if you are pretending to be a Conservative, or (G-d forbid) actually are one, please do all conservatives a favor and just stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree that the original Constitution has not been 'physically' altered; i.e., we have not had a scribe go in and, with ink pen, scratch out portions and insert new.

Yet, the wording of the original Constitution has, of course, been changed, via amendments. Here is a good website that shows, in red, those portions of the original document that have changed via amendment. Click on the red area and you are taken to the relevant amendment.

Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text
That is exactly what I am talking about. For instance, the language about "3/5" of a person was negated by the 14th Amendment, and in my copy of the constitution, that language is in parentheses with a footnote that states that the 14th Amendment caused that passage to no longer be valid.

My proposed 28th Amendment would read something like this:

"All language in the U.S. Constitution shall be gender neutral".

Then the word "he" in Article I, Section 2 would be placed in parentheses in subsequent publishings of the revised Constitution with a footnote stating that it was negated by the 28th Amendment, and some gender neutral language would be used in its place.

Real simple.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Harrier go away, if you are pretending to be a Conservative, or (G-d forbid) actually are one, please do all conservatives a favor and just stop.
Stop what?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,978 times
Default oh great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty-five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen."

- U.S. Constitution, Article !, Section 2

And we've woken up to the 1800s

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I am talking about. For instance, the language about "3/5" of a person was negated by the 14th Amendment, and in my copy of the constitution, that language is in parentheses with a footnote that states that the 14th Amendment caused that passage to no longer be valid.

My proposed 28th Amendment would read something like this:

"All language in the U.S. Constitution shall be gender neutral".

Then the word "he" in Article I, Section 2 would be placed in parentheses in subsequent publishings of the revised Constitution with a footnote stating that it was negated by the 28th Amendment, and some gender neutral language would be used in its place.

Real simple.

Even simpler is that we not try to amend the Constitution to amend something that everyone, save you, takes for granted (i.e., that 'he' covers male and female).

I mean, forget Nancy Pelosi: you are claiming that no woman ever elected to the US House or the Senate lawfully served, from Jeannette Rankin to Michele Bachmann.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Even simpler is that we not try to amend the Constitution to amend something that everyone, save you, takes for granted (i.e., that 'he' covers male and female).

I mean, forget Nancy Pelosi: you are claiming that no woman ever elected to the US House or the Senate lawfully served, from Jeannette Rankin to Michele Bachmann.
If they were conservative or libertarian women, they lawfully served.

If they were liberal women, they unlawfully served.

This isn't a self serving statement (pun intended) - by definition, liberals ignore the supreme law of the land.

Their ideology is anthema to constitutional governance.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Quote:
"No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty-five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen."

- U.S. Constitution, Article !, Section 2
Surely you must not be so dense.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
It is virtually without doubt that when the founders said "he" they did not mean "she" or ever envision a day when women would serve in the House. Therefore, in keeping with a conservative interpretation of our Constitution, women should immediately be barred from service and replaced by respected Gentlemen from their districts.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is virtually without doubt that when the founders said "he" they did not mean "she" or ever envision a day when women would serve in the House. Therefore, in keeping with a conservative interpretation of our Constitution, women should immediately be barred from service and replaced by respected Gentlemen from their districts.
Wouldn't it be easier to just amend the constitution to make it clear that women are serving constitutionally when elected to federal office?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And only certain males can vote. Only the guns that were around at the time of the writing of the Bill of Rights can be used and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections