Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,315,406 times

Advertisements

Mia Love and the Democratic Attack Machine that... | Gather

This is why I am a Republican, not a Libertarian, even though I agree with 99.99 pct of libertarian views. Here we had a dynamic candidate who said that her favorite economist was Bastiat. And it appear she loses to a big gov't guy due to an alliance between Dems and Libertarians. She lost by less than 3000 votes, and the Libertarian candidate picked up 5700 votes.

Great job, Libertarians. What do you have to say for yourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,889,864 times
I'd say it is their right to vote for the candidate who best reflects their opinions and positions. Republicans need to stop whining and crying and either convince people their failed policies are worth another look (something that is unlikely to occur) or Republicans need to change their policies to better attract voters.

One of those two options stand a chance of working but whining that voters don't like you enough to win elections isn't one of those options.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM

39,019 posts, read 51,052,109 times
Same thing appears to have happened in two AZ congressional districts. The Dem got elected because the Libertarian siphoned votes away.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,818,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is why I am a Republican, not a Libertarian, even though I agree with 99.99 pct of libertarian views. Here we had a dynamic candidate who said that her favorite economist was Bastiat. And it appear she loses to a big gov't guy due to an alliance between Dems and Libertarians. She lost by less than 3000 votes, and the Libertarian candidate picked up 5700 votes.

What makes you think that us libertarians should necessarily vote for Republicans? Republicans laughed as Ron Paul walked away. I went Democrat, and I went big.

You can feel it.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,315,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
What makes you think that us libertarians should necessarily vote for Republicans? Republicans laughed as Ron Paul walked away. I went Democrat, and I went big.

You can feel it.

I happened to notice today that in the final count, Mia Love lost by 768 votes (total votes cast=245,277), a .31% margin of victory. I have read in the past that US elections have an average inherent error rate of about .5 percent, so she was under the margin of error.

Libertarian candidate Jim Vein wound up with 6439 votes, or 2.6% of the total. Ironically at least judging from her rhetoric, Love is pretty close to libertarian in her views. She named Bastiat as her all time favorite economist. I'll never quite understand

Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,390,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Mia Love and the Democratic Attack Machine that... | Gather

Well I certainly do not agree with 90% of that the Libartarians stand for, but I agree with much of thier views. As for Mia Love, that was one of the saddest defeats the Republicans had this past year. What a wonderful representative she would have made...l

Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM

39,019 posts, read 51,052,109 times
Let's hope this is the last we hear of the Republicans' Great Black Hope wingnut.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,426,913 times
Despite trying to come off as ''mainstream'', Love actually had extreme views more in line with the Tea Party... like supporting an end to the federal school lunch program, student loans, and citizenship for the children of immigrants born in the United States. As for being a black mormon republican, heck, she'd probably have sex change too, if she thought it would help!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,794,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Despite trying to come off as ''mainstream'', Love actually had extreme views more in line with the Tea Party... like supporting the end of the federal school lunch program, student loans, and citizenship for the children of immigrants born in the United States.
Since when is stopping the out of control cost of college by going back to Universities making the loans instead of government giving them away, extreme?
Since when is following the Constitution and allowing the states to decide how to run their school lunch program, extreme?
Since when is stopping people from profiting on the illegal act of crossing the borders without permission and jumping ahead of those that follow the rules, extreme?
Keep your head buried in the sand.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,637,033 times
Mia Love is very young and very new on the political scene.

She has nowhere to go but up. And she will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections