Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh and Rockefeller did such a great job, he had so much support, that is why he couldn't get the nomination for pres as much as he wanted it...?? That is why we have had 4 Republican Pres and 3 Democrats since the true Rockerfeller days.

As for who you voted for: I knew what you meant, but what you meant and how you said it were totally different things.
I am what I am and it is not my fault that the GOP decided to go with the lowest common denominator. The GOP should have known that when they took the Reagan gravy train they wrote off all people who might be inclined to be liberal to moderate Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How is it "winning" an election if you get someone that turns around and passes republican legislation?

See, what you are saying is one of the problems of going "big tent" to get seats....or don't you remember all the angst over the "blue dogs" back in 2008+?

Hey, I'm pragmatic...I'm merely separating people that vote issues vs. strict party loyalists.

P.S. Biden probably doesn't beat Romney in this past election. Obama is infinitely more likeable than Biden.
No ''loyalist'' here, I vote for whomever is closest to my values and has at least some chance in hell of actually getting elected! And ''pragmatist'' means I ain't gonna flush my vote down the tubes, and indirectly let it benefit the opposition, over some utterly hopeless ''conscience'' candidate like say, Ron Paul or Ralph Nader (even though I may agree with some of their positions).

No candidate is ever perfect, but then neither is life, and maturity often means making the best use of the cards you're dealt. And BTW, for all your belligerence and criticizing other folks choices (which frankly, is beginning to remind me of the current GOP), how come you still haven't offered any ''perfect alternatives'' of your own?

Basically, my sense is that the Dems can't simply rest on their newfound ''minority vote'' strengths, and for the sake of both the party and the country, they need to find a way to invite the Reagan Dems back in... and IMO, Biden coupled with a strong VP choice, seems like the most practical choice for that task (among other things).

Last edited by mateo45; 01-29-2013 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: spell..

Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I don't think it will be Biden in 2016, I can almost guarantee it will be Hillary. She will have Slick Willie stumping for her around the country, and as the first female President, Sweet Willie goes back to the White House as the historical first First Dude.

You can bank on it, and to be honest, I'm tired of dynastic political families dominating American politics.

Maybe for the first time since 1992 Republicans will give me a reason to vote for them. After the Scorched Earth years of Bush-Cheney, and the obstruction of the past 4 years, that is far more unlikely.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I think Bill Clinton's Wife may be too old to run by then she is no Reagan and does not look like someone who could run a show through 2020

Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I think Bill Clinton's Wife may be too old to run by then she is no Reagan and does not look like someone who could run a show through 2020
Agreed, although besides just her own ambitions, she also seems to have become the poster child and surrogate for a lot of boomer women now, who are having a hard time accepting their age and mortality. ''Forever young'' indeed!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am what I am and it is not my fault that the GOP decided to go with the lowest common denominator. The GOP should have known that when they took the Reagan gravy train they wrote off all people who might be inclined to be liberal to moderate Republicans.
A liberal Republican is certainly not a Republican: a moderate, that depends on whether we are talking fiscal or social...They may have written off those like you (who probably were not even old enough to vote then) but how many Republicans and how many Dem have been elected since 1980? It seems to me it is pretty even: 2 and 2...or am I forgetting someone?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
A liberal Republican is certainly not a Republican: a moderate, that depends on whether we are talking fiscal or social...They may have written off those like you (who probably were not even old enough to vote then) but how many Republicans and how many Dem have been elected since 1980? It seems to me it is pretty even: 2 and 2...or am I forgetting someone?
Well the writing off of liberal Republicans is costing the GOP and will continue to cost them. A large part of the reason they lost more seats the Senate in 2012 was because they drove Olympia Snowe out from pure frustration.

Another Republican I sort of like, but I suspect will not last that long in this GOP climate is Susan Collins. Other notable Republicans the GOP has been losing by having the RINO litnus test are Charlie Crist, Lincoln Chaffee, Colin Powell and Jim Jeffords.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
No ''loyalist'' here, I vote for whomever is closest to my values and has at least some chance in hell of actually getting elected! And ''pragmatist'' means I ain't gonna flush my vote down the tubes, and indirectly let it benefit the opposition, over some utterly hopeless ''conscience'' candidate like say, Ron Paul or Ralph Nader (even though I may agree with some of their positions).

No candidate is ever perfect, but then neither is life, and maturity often means making the best use of the cards you're dealt. And BTW, for all your belligerence and criticizing other folks choices (which frankly, is beginning to remind me of the current GOP), how come you still haven't offered any ''perfect alternatives'' of your own?

Basically, my sense is that the Dems can't simply rest on their newfound ''minority vote'' strengths, and for the sake of both the party and the country, they need to find a way to invite the Reagan Dems back in... and IMO, Biden coupled with a strong VP choice, seems like the most practical choice for that task (among other things).
Biden doesn't have the charisma.

It's sad, but it's reality.

I don't have a "perfect alternative" because the election is 4 years away. Heck no one had hardly heard of Obama until 2006 and with the age of some of the other contenders who knows where Hillary, Biden etc. will be in 3+ years.

I've stated Hillary would be better than Biden, but again, she isn't "likeable"....I would vote for her....but again, I'm pointing out how she got mowed down by Obama in 2008 sheerly by charisma as she had him dominated in experience.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Biden has 0 chance of winning in 2016 (even as the Democratic nominee). He is one of the worst candidates/politicans with zillions of sound bites that will all work against him. His gaffes are legendary and easily eclipses Bush's gaffes. Hillary Clinton is the serious contender at this point.
His nick name is "Crazy uncle Joe" for a reason. A tolerable nutty uncle is what he is. Hillary will have a shot at it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So Lincoln who ended slavery, or Teddy Roosevelt who created our national parks system, or Eisenhower who warned of the dangers of the ''military/industrial complex'', all weren't Republican ''lib-ruls''?

Actually your attitude is a perfect example of what's gone wrong with the GOP these days... which has become literally obsessed with ideology, ''labels'', and party purity... rather than being a party of ideas, leadership, vision and even just common sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections