Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,504,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Wrong... it's spitting on the Constitution. She's not the only one, but it's not a power granted to the Congress under the Constitution. I don't care if it was 1 million dollars to build more beds for sick children, it's not the job of the federal government.

I can't single her out, 100 wrongs don't make a right.
You hit the nail on the head! The government is doing a whole lot more than they are supposed to and with our money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:49 PM

791 posts, read 2,219,407 times
And has been doing so for decades. It's time 'we the people' put a stop to it.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,546,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Federal projects electrified the farms.. good productivity
...gave water to the Southwest... good productivity
...built infrastructure... good investment

To build 'a Woodstock concert museum in Bethel, New York'... where's the useful producitivity? Will it include the works of Usef Islam?
I have actually explained it a page back, but will take the time to retype it for you. I won't even bog you down with Cat Stevens jokes.
Spend - 1 million dollars
Recieve - conservatively, two or three jobs in a rural area. They will pay taxes in perpetuity. A couple hundred thousand, conservatively. It will pay construction workers to build the place, high-paying tmeporary jobs. A school child will recieve 120,000 dollars from the governemt to pay for his education in the public school. (A school which prob. has a shrinking enrollemnt, which may sustain it. There is a teacher paid (more jobs, more taxes), and a building which will not be abandoned) The town will gain some noteriety. someone may open a coffee shop that attracts roadside tourists. More jobs, more taxes, a more vibrant downtown. Maybe, the curator will move into town and revitalize an old house. Add it to the tax base, spend money to fix it up, et. cetera. So, basically someone smarter than myself could study how each and everyting in a particular area relates to the impetus of the museum. For a million dollars. That isn't anything really. A bomb in Iraq. A freeway onramp in Chicago, A study of that Chicago onramp. The replacement of an old sewer line. The only people who will feel the effects of that million dollars, either positively or negatively, will be the people of Upstate New York (and it won't be negatively)

Electrifying farms wasn't as inherently productive as you may think. It isn't like the farmers were going to leave. They got a family radio. Which made it worth it only as a corollary to the initial investment.
And there is no inherent value in the Hoover Dam. Water means nothing in itself. It is only economically feasible because it allowed the Imperial Valley to grow strawberries in December. A trucker had to ship those to Boston. Someone got paid to pick them.
Infrastructure is also good, but as most people in Minneapolis now know, we don't like to pay for bridges any more than we like to pay for a museum a thousand miles away. You just don't see the museum collapse.
The economic value of most projects are only in what that project is the impetus to.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 AM

If the state wants a museum, let the state build it.

Quote:
In late February, the Spitzer administration was predicting a budget surplus of $1.5 billion for the 2006–07 fiscal year. Higher than expected capital gains receipts and Wall Street bonuses could push that figure up significantly.

"The consensus is that it's going to be a lot bigger than $1.5 billion," a Republican state senator who represents a district in Western New York, Dale Volker, said. "Bottom line, we are developing the second biggest surplus in the state's history."

Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
In upstate New York, where the museum is to be located, the economy is struggling more. it is a small, rural town that needs soemthing to be competitive.
Sounds like a state issue to me. I need to have a museum to the Oil Industry built here. Have you heard, there's a global economic slowdown.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM

Because it is never in the federal government's interest to ensure that its individual states are economically viable. I would also support an Oil museum, I really would. Tulsa? Houston? Crawford? If it helps a part of the state's economy, it is helping the economy of a nation as a whole. By the way, the State of New York is contributing to the cost of the museum, along with private donors. There is no global slowdown, Sir, just the globalism that is leaving us behind.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM

You remind me of a fellow from Brooklyn who thinks the US should raise taxes so 'they' could fix the roads in NY state.

Your position is apparent.

Good day.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,791,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Definitely best left to the State of NY, or private funding.
We have a state museum. Actually, if you choose to count the state archives in Albany and all the museums there, we have more than one. The State Historical Museum is in Cooperstown (and it also has archives).

Hillary is simply pandering to the appropriate groups - age and ethnic - in the area where she would build it. It is absurd. Private fund it; don't waste my tax money!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
You remind me of a fellow from Brooklyn who thinks the US should raise taxes so 'they' could fix the roads in NY state.

Your position is apparent.

Good day.
Umm....that is kind of an odd response. I'll try to respond, though.
The Federal Government has a responsibility to fix roads. It is part of our national infrastructure. They pay for roads in every state, and need money to continue to do so. I support fixing roads in New York, Texas, Illinois and Alaska. It is necessary for our economy. The US may be a confederation of states, but those states' needs are intermingled. The rule holds true for roads, the environment, education, et. cetera. When you pay taxes, you don't have the right to be as presumptous as to only want aid for a single state. You do have the comfort of knowing that someone in New York is also paying to fix your roads, and pay for your schools.

Actually, Texas recieves a higher ration of money spent to money paid than New York. Lucky for you, New Yorkers don't share that selfish belief. Time to give them something for it.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,143,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I think it'd be a pretty cool museum and addition to Bethel, but I don't really think it's worth the $1 million dollars... plenty of better things to be spending the money on.
Yeah! Let's just add that $1 million to $29 million more and give it to Florida so they can put more sand on the beaches and it can wash away in a few months. That's a GREAT idea!

Seriously, since I started looking at what the government is spending on "beach renournishment," $1 million for a hippie museum sounds like a BARGAIN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections