Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are talking a handful on CD and yes,there are some. There will always be bigots in the world, but it isn't the party overall. And did I say I was concerned about marriage? I said, just because a lot of Republicans are not in favor of gay marriage doesn't mean they are not for gay rights. I happen to have a foster daughter, who we adore and she has had the same partner for 20 years. We just celebrated their anniversary on a family cruise. She even has mixed feelings about gay marriage. This has nothing to do with divorce. .We are talking GOP and gay rights, not divorce...
I think at this point its hard to separate the two if them. Saying you are in favor of gay rights, but not marriage is basically suggesting that you favor some rights, but not true equality. Not to mention how you go bout certain things. If someone is against gay marriage its one thing, when they actively join the fight against it (which is something the majority of Republican officeholders have done) its a bit of a different level. The whole DOMA issue which the House GOP has jumped on is one example.

Not to mention the Constitutional Amendment crap. No one can state they are pro-gay rights if the favor writing discrimination against Gays into the Federal or their State Constitution. The vast majority of the GOP Presidential candidates including the nominee favored this (the fact it had no chance of passing, wasn't the issue, the fact they believed in it was), the vast majority of Republicans in the Congress and Senate favor it, same with the state bans on the state legislative level.

Not just marriage either, look how much of the Republican Party was against the DADT repeal, in quite a few state legislatures Republicans have fought tooth and nail at adding discrimination against gays and lesbians to the anti-discrimination statutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
No one can state they are pro-gay rights if the favor writing discrimination against Gays into the Federal or their State Constitution.
Well, clearly they can state it, since that's exactly what politicians and posters on this forum do. It's just that no one with more than a few functioning neurons will buy the BS.

It's just like people who hate black people claiming they're not racist.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Where do you get the idea the GOP isn't pro gay rights? Not being pro gay marriage, isn't against pro rights, it is how one interprets what we have been taught since childhood. It has to do with the marriage ceremony more than anything. there are also many Republicans that are pro choice, especially among young wormen..Why would you think, based on 2 issues, the Republican party isn't socially open minded? There are many issues we vote on, not just 2 of them...May I add to this, accepting the liberal views on everything means, to many, selling out and becoming just like the other side. I guess I could ask, when will the liberals realized there is more than one way to do something and their way isn't the only right way or stop trying to let the government control our lives?
Oh give it a rest. Face it. Most Americans see the Republican Party as anti-gay. You can continue with the platitudes or you can change your positions to fit in with modern America. It's up to you and other Republicans. If you don't mind being the minority party forever, then please continue to spout off with the antiquated views.

The Republican platform also called for a ban on sex education throughout America. Is that really a position that you think America will embrace in the 21st century?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh give it a rest. Face it. Most Americans see the Republican Party as anti-gay. You can continue with the platitudes or you can change your positions to fit in with modern America. It's up to you and other Republicans. If you don't mind being the minority party forever, then please continue to spout off with the antiquated views.

The Republican platform also called for a ban on sex education throughout America. Is that really a position that you think America will embrace in the 21st century?
You are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong: most liberals think the Republicans are anti gay but that doesn't mean it is true; as for sex eduaction in the schools, remember a platform is drawn up by a handful and generally means nada. Most people don't even know what is in a platform. You hear is mentioned during the conventions and that is about all there is too them.

As for my antiquated views, you know well, that I am anything but anitquated in my views of gays...and abortion as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
You are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong: most liberals think the Republicans are anti gay but that doesn't mean it is true; as for sex eduaction in the schools, remember a platform is drawn up by a handful and generally means nada. Most people don't even know what is in a platform. You hear is mentioned during the conventions and that is about all there is too them.

As for my antiquated views, you know well, that I am anything but anitquated in my views of gays...and abortion as well.

It isn't true a bold face lie is what it is. The whole party, is not anti gay at all. I have dear demoocrat friends who do not like the whole patform of the Democratic party, but identify more with that party. I use to be till i got smart.

Won't make no apologizes either for switching. My whole life, i have been people need to be with the person who makes them happy most in life. My best friend is gay, and bull, so many of my republician friends do not have a problelem with gays in any way. Cannot help what politicians feel, does not mean we all feel as politicians do.

As for far as sex education, oh give it a rest please. I have a dear good friend who is a shrink who helps young teens in gangs and adults, and teen girls who have gotten pregnant.

I know young teens who have gone to Catholic School, and those in public schools who have had all the sex education you can imagine.

Did not help at all when at 16 and 15 yrs of age, their parents are now helping to take care of their babies, and they had sex education.

Show me a poll where every republician in America, is one way when it comes to gays, Show me.

And FYI i have deomocrat friends who behind closed doors, really tell you how they feel about gays in general, think they are all for gays marrying, then your kidding yourself.

And why should they not be allowed to marry, you only live once in life, be happy, and whoever that person is, then so be it.
And no one will change my mind on the issue, not even a Republician Politician imagine that!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
The problem is that Sen McCain told you what a Repub. is. They will say anything to get elected. Then see the legistration that they put up and try to push on the population.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The problem is that Sen McCain told you what a Repub. is. They will say anything to get elected. Then see the legistration that they put up and try to push on the population.

And Obama looked us each in the eye and promised us Unity, Prosperity, and Hope n' Change, believe him much.

Guess Politicians will say anything! to get elected Ha!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It isn't true a bold face lie is what it is. The whole party, is not anti gay at all. I have dear demoocrat friends who do not like the whole patform of the Democratic party, but identify more with that party. I use to be till i got smart.

Won't make no apologizes either for switching. My whole life, i have been people need to be with the person who makes them happy most in life. My best friend is gay, and bull, so many of my republician friends do not have a problelem with gays in any way. Cannot help what politicians feel, does not mean we all feel as politicians do.

As for far as sex education, oh give it a rest please. I have a dear good friend who is a shrink who helps young teens in gangs and adults, and teen girls who have gotten pregnant.

I know young teens who have gone to Catholic School, and those in public schools who have had all the sex education you can imagine.

Did not help at all when at 16 and 15 yrs of age, their parents are now helping to take care of their babies, and they had sex education.

Show me a poll where every republician in America, is one way when it comes to gays, Show me.

And FYI i have deomocrat friends who behind closed doors, really tell you how they feel about gays in general, think they are all for gays marrying, then your kidding yourself.

And why should they not be allowed to marry, you only live once in life, be happy, and whoever that person is, then so be it.
And no one will change my mind on the issue, not even a Republician Politician imagine that!
I think many of us have gay freinds or family members. Certainly we have worked with or for gays. When I am constantly being told: Republicans are all anti gay it really ticks me off. And yes, we have some friends that are not only Democrats but think of themselves as very liberal and very open to all life styles, but get a couple drinks in the guy and it is amazing what comments he can make about gays.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
What does McCain have to do with this? Add to that, what did Obama promise and what has he delivered,but then, that is another topic altogether. It has nothing to do with Gays, abortion or this thread.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
What does McCain have to do with this? Add to that, what did Obama promise and what has he delivered,but then, that is another topic altogether. It has nothing to do with Gays, abortion or this thread.

You and i both know the story with most of them. It is always someone else.

What Obama promised and what he has not delivered, is all together another story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections