Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

As the major opposition party, the Republicans have a duty to nominate a candidate.

An opposition candidate will be nominated, period, but there is nothing that either forbids or promotes the Republicans from nominating. They can fail to do their duty with no official sanction against them, but failure would be the death of the party, and a disenfranchisement of millions of American citizens.

The fact is and always has been our government is designed to have opposition from one party against the other. This is the hammer and anvil of democracy. Important plans and ideas need to be beaten while hot and tempered in the coolness of compromise and discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
It's waaay to early to be discussing the next presidential election already, but it will be interesting to see how the GOP primaries play out: whether or not the new face of the party (Christie, Rubio, Jindal) will be able to bring sense to the old guard, and their electorate, or if they will conform to the out-of-touch platform (and fail with the mainstream) once again.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's waaay to early to be discussing the next presidential election already, but it will be interesting to see how the GOP primaries play out: whether or not the new face of the party (Christie, Rubio, Jindal) will be able to bring sense to the old guard, and their electorate, or if they will conform to the out-of-touch platform (and fail with the mainstream) once again.
I hope Christie runs. The crackpot element of the Republican Party has been spoiled and coddled for so long they have rotted the core of the party out. They scream for candidates like Palin and Allen West, and like indulgent dull-witted parents, the establishment types have obliged. Well, look at where that got them. There are a lot of conservative leaning Americans out there who won't vote for know-nothing, conspiracy-loving, religious wingnuts. These folks will gladly vote for a Dole, a McCain, a Specter -- but no thanks to the parade of fools and clowns that was the Republican field of 2012 (with the exception of Romney.. he was the only NON punchline candidate, and unfortunately, he was a weak one).

Christie won't tolerate or abide the foolishness of the crackpot wing. He'll tell them to suck it. His candidacy would be a coming-to-Jesus moment for the party. He'd tell them to take their wacky weirdness and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. He's a serious man, with a serious interest in governing. It's been a LONG time since we've seen a Republican like that.

I am a far left liberal. I have never voted for a Republican in my adult life. However, I would take a serious look at Christie. I'd like to see two serious parties for a change.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I hope Christie runs. The crackpot element of the Republican Party has been spoiled and coddled for so long they have rotted the core of the party out. They scream for candidates like Palin and Allen West, and like indulgent dull-witted parents, the establishment types have obliged. Well, look at where that got them. There are a lot of conservative leaning Americans out there who won't vote for know-nothing, conspiracy-loving, religious wingnuts. These folks will gladly vote for a Dole, a McCain, a Specter -- but no thanks to the parade of fools and clowns that was the Republican field of 2012 (with the exception of Romney.. he was the only NON punchline candidate, and unfortunately, he was a weak one).

Christie won't tolerate or abide the foolishness of the crackpot wing. He'll tell them to suck it. His candidacy would be a coming-to-Jesus moment for the party. He'd tell them to take their wacky weirdness and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. He's a serious man, with a serious interest in governing. It's been a LONG time since we've seen a Republican like that.

I am a far left liberal. I have never voted for a Republican in my adult life. However, I would take a serious look at Christie. I'd like to see two serious parties for a change.
We'll have to see how it goes for Christie and Huntsman. If one of them makes it through the primaries, and the Dems go with Clinton, they might have a shot. To their credit, they did nominate Romney. If Romney had not turned out to be such a disingenuous weirdo, it might have gone better. The man was moderate, but utterly lacking in integrity (same with Ryan). Americans made the right choice. I do think that Christie and Huntsman demonstrate integrity, and I think that is what Americans want in a President. Clinton is vulnerable on this front (and others). I recall her "corkscrew landings" from the 2008 election.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
We'll have to see how it goes for Christie and Huntsman. If one of them makes it through the primaries, and the Dems go with Clinton, they might have a shot. To their credit, they did nominate Romney. If Romney had not turned out to be such a disingenuous weirdo, it might have gone better. The man was moderate, but utterly lacking in integrity (same with Ryan). Americans made the right choice. I do think that Christie and Huntsman demonstrate integrity, and I think that is what Americans want in a President. Clinton is vulnerable on this front (and others). I recall her "corkscrew landings" from the 2008 election.
I don't see either of them emerging, especially Huntsman, he is way to moderate. As I have said, Christie has some good an some not so good points. I still am not sure his personality is right for the Presidency. I do think he has integrity but I don't know if that is enough. As for Romney being a weirdo, he was a lot of things and lacking in a lot of ways, but I think you are the only person I have heard call him a weirdo?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I say no. They clearly aren't a national party any more. They should just focus on small, regional elections. Anyone else agree?
No, but maybe the Democrats shouldn't bother running in 2020.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Democrats do like to make an a$$ out of themselves........since this topic was started....the Republican Party expanded the majority of the nation governorship and state legislatures, House, Senate and now the W.H.......that will make the S.C conservative for decades to come.

thank Obama and Hillary for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections