U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM

9,995 posts, read 11,243,043 times

Advertisements

I am a Democrat, but it drives me crazy to hear all this about Hillary Clinton in the White House again in 2016. I recall Bill saying "you get two for the price of one" back in 1992 or so. And I recall Hillary's health care efforts. Bottomline, Bill was President, but they shared power from 1992-2000. Why do we have to put the same family back in the White House?! We have more talent in this country than that. And the Dems need to find it instead of trotting out Hillary. I find that establishment/nepotism approach very disappointing. It is utterly lacking in creativity, and offensive. Dynasties are for banana republics, not the most talented country on earth.

If the GOP actually puts up a decent moderate intelligent candidate (like Huntsman), I think I would likely vote for them above Hillary Clinton. I doubt that will happen, so I will have to choose between a morally objectionable choice or the fear of putting some ideological idiot in power.

I wish Bill and Hillary the best, just not in the White House. She could even run for the United Nations, if she wants, just not the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,276,297 times
Totally agreed, and even more surprising are the polls that seem to indicate she enjoys a lot of support, except my sense is that much of that is coming from aging Boomer women still in De Nile, for whom Hillary symbolically also represents some sort of validating Last Hurrah. Although it certainly wouldn't be the first time that Democrats have snatched Defeat from the jaws of Victory!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM

19,617 posts, read 7,973,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am a Democrat, but it drives me crazy to hear all this about Hillary Clinton in the White House again in 2016. I recall Bill saying "you get two for the price of one" back in 1992 or so. And I recall Hillary's health care efforts. Bottomline, Bill was President, but they shared power from 1992-2000. Why do we have to put the same family back in the White House?! We have more talent in this country than that. And the Dems need to find it instead of trotting out Hillary. I find that establishment/nepotism approach very disappointing. It is utterly lacking in creativity, and offensive. Dynasties are for banana republics, not the most talented country on earth.

If the GOP actually puts up a decent moderate intelligent candidate (like Huntsman), I think I would likely vote for them above Hillary Clinton. I doubt that will happen, so I will have to choose between a morally objectionable choice or the fear of putting some ideological idiot in power.

I wish Bill and Hillary the best, just not in the White House. She could even run for the United Nations, if she wants, just not the White House.

She's extremely intelligent, qualified and popular with both parties. I can't think of anyone more qualified that would run against her.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,723,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Totally agreed, and even more surprising are the polls that seem to indicate she enjoys a lot of support, except my sense is that much of that is coming from aging Boomer women still in De Nile, for whom Hillary symbolically also represents some sort of validating Last Hurrah. Although it certainly wouldn't be the first time that Democrats have snatched Defeat from the jaws of Victory!
Except that Hillary beats every Republican in every state they have polls for except Alaska by 1pt to Christie and only Christie. I voted for her in 2008 and would gladly do so again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewi...election,_2016

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM

Perhaps, but regardless (and the very reason for this OP), is she's still undeniably a very controversial "love her or hate her" personality. And just my opinion, but frankly her supporters always remind me too much of that same sort of evangelical, ''my way or the highway'' self-destructiveness we've seen in Ralph Nader and Ron Paul supporters (or like all the Hillary folks who threatened to vote against Obama unless they got their way)! ''Conscience'' and ''passion'' are great, but they don't mean squat if it causes a lot of internal feuding and nobody wins (except maybe the other side)!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,031,637 times
If she runs, she will trounce Rubio, Paul, Jindal, Ryan, or any other GOP candidate.

Of course, you might get lucky and she might not run.

The GOP better hope she doesn't.

It would look REALLY bad for the Democrats to have the first black president AND the first female president.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM

631 posts, read 1,026,715 times
"run for the United Nations?" What does this entail?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,574,095 times
My biggest question is her age. She's already 65, which means she would be nearly 70 were she to win election. Not exactly ancient, but I don't know if with her recent health issues if she'll even really be motivated to run by that point.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Yup, which means she'd be the oldest president when inaugurated, along with Reagan. And POTUS is an arguably much more demanding and complex job now than it was during Reagan's time (dementia or no). Although Clinton's mother did live to be 92.

But the fact is she has gained a significant amount of weight since 2008, and seems pale, tired, and yes, aged, especially after the blod clot was discovered in her brain. This is also someone who has said that she would like to know again what it’s like to not be tired. Strong will vs physical realities... tough choices.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM

9,995 posts, read 11,243,043 times
I don't doubt Hillary's intelligence, though I do doubt her honesty. And, in contrast to Bill, Hillary is more of a manager than a leader. I have never been inspired by one of her speeches. Still, she is highly competent and I respect her overall. That is not the issue. My issue is one of principle; we don't need the same family in the White House twice! That is beneath us as a country, and a sign we have not done sufficient recruiting. Perhaps it is something with the boomers wanting to hear Fleetwood Mac at another inaugeration or something...makes no sense otherwise.

I would either not vote, or vote for Huntsman or Christie (both decent, intelligent men who I happen to disagree with, but respect) over the Clintons Redux. And today's GOP scares the hell out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or