Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

I was taught at school to stand at attention for the National Anthem and to remove ones hat if wearing one, the hand over the heart was the stance for the Pledge of Alliegance.

I stopped saying the pledge altogether, when they added the "under God" phrase while I was in High School, as I could see little evidence that our Nationalism and God had anything to do with one another and didnt want to cheapen my concept of God as the creator of the Universe and lessen God's loving capacity from "All Mankind" to a single nation-diety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I was taught at school to stand at attention for the National Anthem and to remove ones hat if wearing one, the hand over the heart was the stance for the Pledge of Alliegance.

I stopped saying the pledge altogether, when they added the "under God" phrase while I was in High School, as I could see little evidence that our Nationalism and God had anything to do with one another and didnt want to cheapen my concept of God as the creator of the Universe and lessen God's loving capacity from "All Mankind" to a single nation-diety.
Amen and amen.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Thumbs down News, No hand over heart from Obama during national anthem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Weeks after coming under fire for his refusal to wear an American flag pin, Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama is again facing questions about his patriotism from some conservative blogs -- this time for apparently failing to put his hand over his heart during a rendition of the national anthem at an Iowa campaign event.

The Raw Story | No hand over heart from Obama during national anthem

There is so much bogus info and "wishful thinking" being circulated by the Obama-haters on this subject.

At times, it makes me wonder how mankind has ever progressed. I suppose the contributions of the clear thinkers occasionally trumps the willful ignorance of the clock-stoppers.

snopes.com: Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

When I served in the military, we were instructed that the proper etiquette is to stand at attnetion during the anthem, and to cover our hearts during the pledge.

It isn't that difficult to grasp, people.

Relax.

Find something real to hate Obama for.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
There is so much bogus info and "wishful thinking" being circulated by the Obama-haters on this subject.

At times, it makes me wonder how mankind has ever progressed. I suppose the contributions of the clear thinkers occasionally trumps the willful ignorance of the clock-stoppers.

snopes.com: Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

When I served in the military, we were instructed that the proper etiquette is to stand at attnetion during the anthem, and to cover our hearts during the pledge.

It isn't that difficult to grasp, people.

Relax.

Find something real to hate Obama for.

This website doesn't have enough memory for all the real things.

Did anyone catch him being asked to do the anthem and the idiot Obama come back was " You mean we didn't already do that?".

The freak knew they had not done it and thought the crowd would fall for that line of crap.

What a joke he is.

Like it or not, he is anti American.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
This website doesn't have enough memory for all the real things.

Did anyone catch him being asked to do the anthem and the idiot Obama come back was " You mean we didn't already do that?".

The freak knew they had not done it and thought the crowd would fall for that line of crap.

What a joke he is.

So, now you're supporting McCain?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:

Link please.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Senator Obama graduated with honors from Harvard University....he has full command of all the nuances of the English language and has the inteligence to stay above the fray when those of lesser accomplishment call him names......"the idiot" is hardly a term that applies to, or would stick to, the man who will in all probablility be our next President.

His opponent graduated near the bottom of his class and admits to his limited inteligence even when he was at his prime (and that was quite a few years ago).

Oh, come on. What this country really needs is another eight years with a stammering moron in the White House. Preferably one who pickled his brain on alcohol and cocaine, though. Senility just isn't the same thing.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:

LOL. So a guy who allegedly hates the United States is running for president of the United States? Got it.

I'm not a huge Obama fan, but all he's ever said about these non-issues is that he doesn't buy into all the empty symbols that the faux patriots THINK is patriotism. Patriotism is what you believe in, how you act, and what you do to preserve American values and traditions. It has nothing to do with wearing pins, waving flags, or putting ribbon magnets on your car.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Remember when John Prine sang

"Oh but your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little wars.
Now Jesus he don't like killin'
No matter what the reason is for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more."

So much for flag decals and flag pins and magnetic ribbons, "My Friends"....Let Iraq pay for their own bridges bring the troops and the get rich quick contractors home; we need to repair our own highways and bridges, so pump up your tires and lets persue American interests and real American values. I am so tired of the phony and so tired of business as usual.
We dont need someone who has been part of the problem for the past 2 1/2 decades, we dont need a third Bush term...We need a change, a vision, a new direction. Frankly if he wears a flag pin or an equal sign in his lapel or a rose bud.....it matters not to me.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I don't put my hand over my heart. That's probably not popular of course but that's my feelings. I just stand at attention and stay silent (BTW, Star Spangled Banner is inferior to "America: the Beautiful"). I also hate having the Pledge of Allegiance constantly. No citizen should have to take a loyalty oath repeatedly. There's also something vaguely religious or animistic about it (why the heart? It just pumps blood around and keeps you alive. It doesn't contribute one bit to me choosing to be an ethical person or not... but I digrees). But I realize my perspective is probably not anywhere close to mainstream.

However, it probably just slipped his mind, he probably doesn't want to convey that radical an image. He's a foreign-service/third-culture type "brat", travelled the world. In many other countries you just stand silent when a national anthem is played. I lived in the UK for a few years and heard "God save the Queen" a few times and people just stood silent.

You know at one time the "salute" to the flag during the Pledge looked very much like a Nazi salute. At least according to my 12 grade history teacher (and verified with a little web searching). It was an outstretched hand, instead of a downward facing hand, though. It was changed after WWII began for the US, because of the resemblence to the Nazi salute.
Good points.

"""(why the heart? It just pumps blood around and keeps you alive. It doesn't contribute one bit to me choosing to be an ethical person or not""

Yes, let's try putting our hands over our BRAINS...think that would help???

"""I also hate having the Pledge of Allegiance constantly. No citizen should have to take a loyalty oath repeatedly. """

I agree...I was born here, I am an American, and really rebel at the thought that if I don't say some mumbo jumbo I may not be a true American.

One of the fourteen identifying characteristics of Fascism is the use of signs, mottoes, flags, symbols...and if you don't fall in line and worship these SYMBOLS you're in big trouble......sad to see so many Americans heading down THAT road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections