Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times

Advertisements

Ha ha

Update: Ashley Judd has announced via Twitter that she will not run for Senate. “After serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities & energy at this time need to be focused on my family,” she wrote.

Translation:
After realizing that I have no chance and dont even really like to live in Kentucky and cant relate to the people of Kentucky except for those that like a college basketball team, ive decided to not run. Also, realizing that I probably wouldnt get to go to my big house over seas very often, I find it best to keep my hollywood life of pure luxury and not have to deal with the little people. Oh and it wouldve felt like rape to run for Senate and have people scrutinize things I have said. Rape. Thank you. Rape

And for those that arent aware, the rape reference was thrown in for her attraction of using the word to describe things. For some reason, it was one of her words of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Ha ha

Update: Ashley Judd has announced via Twitter that she will not run for Senate. “After serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities & energy at this time need to be focused on my family,” she wrote.

Translation:
After realizing that I have no chance and dont even really like to live in Kentucky and cant relate to the people of Kentucky except for those that like a college basketball team, ive decided to not run. Also, realizing that I probably wouldnt get to go to my big house over seas very often, I find it best to keep my hollywood life of pure luxury and not have to deal with the little people. Oh and it wouldve felt like rape to run for Senate and have people scrutinize things I have said. Rape. Thank you. Rape

And for those that arent aware, the rape reference was thrown in for her attraction of using the word to describe things. For some reason, it was one of her words of choice.
Family? What family? She has no kids and is divorcing.

Your translation is spot on.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,220 times
her chances? Not good.

1) She is enthusiastically in support of President Obama in a state where Romney beat him by 23 points. Democrats in other red states, like Joe Manchin next door in WV, have been careful to keep their distance from him

2) She has been critical of the coal industry. This will alienate KY's democratic base in the eastern part of the state. People there still vote strongly Democratic in state and local elections, but not if Judd is the nominee.

3) She's a Hollywood librul, at least that's how she will be portrayed by McConnell and the GOP. He may not be very popular but people in KY will vote for him over a perceived out-of-touch LA carpetbagger peddling high fallutin liberal ideas.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM

Oh, I see she's not running anymore. Probably for the best. Get a better Democrat who can actually give the turtle a run for his money.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Oh, I see she's not running anymore. Probably for the best. Get a better Democrat who can actually give the turtle a run for his money.
Gee, kinda interesting, your comments. So many of you thought she would be a good candidate, now you are hoping for someone better? I don't think he will get beat, but at least if he does it won't be by someone that is so extremely radical...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gee, kinda interesting, your comments. So many of you thought she would be a good candidate, now you are hoping for someone better? I don't think he will get beat, but at least if he does it won't be by someone that is so extremely radical...
I always thought Judd was the wrong person to go up against McConnell. I'm relieved that she has decided to sit this one out. Judd isn't radical at all. She pretty much lines up with most mainstream Democrats, but in a state like Kentucky, any Democrat who isn't very conservative would be considered radical. KY isn't exactly a mirror of the nation.

I think McConnell will hold on to his seat, but it could be a close race. For all the talk about how conservative Kentucky is, Democrats still have a lot of appeal there. The governor Steve Beshear is a democrat and won reelection by a landslide in 2011, and most statewide offices are held by Democrats. Also, McConnell only won reelection by 6 points in 2008 while McCain dominated Obama. There are still a lot of ancestrally Democratic regions in the state, like eastern Kentucky, where residents care very strongly about protecting the social safety net. If the democratic nominee in 2014 can effectively convince people that McConnell has become a mouthpiece for big business and the wealthy then they certainly have a shot. The problem for Dems is that Republicans can blunt that advantage by portraying the other side and godless and ultra liberal.

What I can gather by studying elections in Kentucky is that when the election is about social or cultural issues, the Republican wins, but when it's about economic issues the Democrat wins.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I always thought Judd was the wrong person to go up against McConnell. I'm relieved that she has decided to sit this one out. Judd isn't radical at all. She pretty much lines up with most mainstream Democrats, but in a state like Kentucky, any Democrat who isn't very conservative would be considered radical. KY isn't exactly a mirror of the nation.

I think McConnell will hold on to his seat, but it could be a close race. For all the talk about how conservative Kentucky is, Democrats still have a lot of appeal there. The governor Steve Beshear is a democrat and won reelection by a landslide in 2011, and most statewide offices are held by Democrats. Also, McConnell only won reelection by 6 points in 2008 while McCain dominated Obama. There are still a lot of ancestrally Democratic regions in the state, like eastern Kentucky, where residents care very strongly about protecting the social safety net. If the democratic nominee in 2014 can effectively convince people that McConnell has become a mouthpiece for big business and the wealthy then they certainly have a shot. The problem for Dems is that Republicans can blunt that advantage by portraying the other side and godless and ultra liberal.

What I can gather by studying elections in Kentucky is that when the election is about social or cultural issues, the Republican wins, but when it's about economic issues the Democrat wins.
I too think he will be given a run for his money, but it is about impossible to beat an a sitting senator, especially when he is the senate minority leader. As for Judd not be extreme: she doesn't believe anyone should have kids, there are too many in the world now and she supports PETA. That isn't extreme plus she wants to close all coal mines, which is where many in KY make their living? You think that would go over well at election time? No, she is very extreme...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections