Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You say you don't want a fundamentalist Christian making decisions. So you're ok with a Christian just not a "fundamentalist." Hmm, interesting.

Also, I am just curious where in the Bible it states the world is flat?
No, it's not that I'm ok with a "non-fundamentalist" it's that I know that just about every politician is going to be forced to say they are a Christian. That's just the way politics are in this country. As I said, it would be political suicide for someone to claim they are an atheist and run for election. So I basically deal with the fact that the president is going to be a "Christian". However, I try to find the candidates that speak to my political needs without using the word God in every decision they make. If a politician has to turn to a God every time he makes a decision that scares me in his decision making abilities. It is the "fundies" that seem to turn to that as evidenced with the Bush admin. I'd just like a candidate that doesn't feel the need to bring up God every time something goes wrong or right. "God is going to help us through these hard times." "God knows what we're doing is right". Well how about a politician makes a decision and sticks by it?

Oh as far as the earth being flat, I was trying to point out the fact that there are some in this country who are so unconcerned with advancements in science that they'd just as soon prefer the earth be flat and go back to the days of a theocracy with no scientific advancement. Just an analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 AM

169 posts, read 632,834 times
Quote:
I'd just like a candidate that doesn't feel the need to bring up God every time something goes wrong or right. "God is going to help us through these hard times." "God knows what we're doing is right". Well how about a politician makes a decision and sticks by it?
Hear, hear. I couldn't agree more!

I know a few people in everyday life who do the same thing, too. Every time things are going right, they say "God is being so good to me" (hello? Don't you ever feel like taking any credit for making the good decisions that influenced your life for the better? Or do you see yourself as some kind of living automaton whose behavior is totally dependent on what buttons a god chooses to push at any given time?) And every time life turns rough, they say "God will provide" or "God will help me" or "It's the will of god". On more than one occasion I've gottten fed up and said "You know, my mother used to say that god helps those who help themselves!" Predictably, my comment was less than well received.

Since I don't admire people who put the ultimate responsibility for the both the good and bad in their own lives onto something/someone other than themselves, I don't like to see anyone of that same mindset in a position of power. "Personal responsibility" is something we need a lot more of, both in politics and in everyday life.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Geeeeeze, I hope not. My main objection with the current administration is the whole 'Religious Right" issue.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Religion will have less to do with this election then any in the past.

The religious right will not go left, not unless she makes some dramatic transformation into some born again christian act, and we all know how honest she is on the left and she would NEVER do anything like that.

The right will vote right simply because they always have and dont have an alternative..

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Geeeeeze, I hope not. My main objection with the current administration is the whole 'Religious Right" issue.
Please explain to me where the current administration goes "religious right" because I dont see it at all.. I think Clinton used church and god more then the current administration..

Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

C'mon, I like Bush on most matters but he's so closely linked to the Religious Right it ain't funny. Clinton did talk religion a lot but he sure didn't act like a religious man!

Here's a couple of links for ya:
Bush
Openly Religious, to a Point (washingtonpost.com)
washingtonpost.com: Religious Right Finds Its Center in Oval Office

Just do a Google search. There's many more.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
I, for one, agree with our nation's second president...
“Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other.” —John Adams
And our nation's third president...
“Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?” —Thomas Jefferson
And our nation's seventh president...
“The Bible is the rock on which our Republic rests.” —Andrew Jackson
And our nation's fortieth president...
“Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face.” —Ronald Reagan
Any candidate aiming to be our forty-fourth president should agree with those guys, if he wants my vote.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
C'mon, I like Bush on most matters but he's so closely linked to the Religious Right it ain't funny. Clinton did talk religion a lot but he sure didn't act like a religious man!
Sorry to disagree with you but Bush doesnt act religious either, beginning with

Though shall not kill..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sorry to disagree with you but Bush doesnt act religious either, beginning with

Though shall not kill..
OK ignore the proof in the links I provided. And your "logic" about Thou shall not kill is actually funny in a sad way. I guess you believe every president that has had the horrible decision to go to war (especially after we were attacked!) is a murderer. And please don't start the crap that Iraq didn't attack us. We weren't attacked by any one country. We were attacked by a radical belief that all infadels must die and unfortunately that belief is spread wide indeed. Iraq is and has been a hot bed of training camps for terrorists and it's as good a place as any to do our best to stop them before we get hit again.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
The OP asked:

Will Religion Be The Deciding Factor In Who Is The Next President Of The United States

IMO, Religion will not be the "Deciding" factor - however, it will be a MAJOR factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections