Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,906,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Why not? What about Bob McDonnell or Rick Perry if he gets the right handler and and the right man pulls his strings.
Rick Perry Has more trouble ahead. He will have a tough Gubernatorial race in 2014 against a strong Republican opponet...two years away from 2016. All Rick says will be fresh in the minds of the National voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Why not? What about Bob McDonnell or Rick Perry if he gets the right handler and and the right man pulls his strings.
I agree a So Repbulican could win, this idea because you are from the south and a Republican you are dead meat is rediculous, I think Perry, regardless of what I thought of him, had his chance..McDonnell is not the answer either,,he would have made a good VP candidate, but he isn't going to exccite the base enough. Maybe he doesn't have the fire in his belly as the saying goes. I think Huckabee would have run a decent race this past time, but is he electable? Probably the religion wearing on his sleeve would have hurt him.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,938,284 times
I don't think what region the person is from really matters much anymore. There's no reason that a Southern Republican would be at a disadvantage on the national stage just because he or she is from the South. The problem with any Southern candidate is likely to be ideological. As many states in the South have become deep-deep red, the ability for moderates to get elected has been greatly reduced as the Republican primaries have become the de facto elections in many districts. As long as candidates have to spend more time proving that they are more "conservative" and more religious than their opponent than discussing policy you are going to have a continued radicalization of the party. That may play in Arkansas for now, but it's not going to fly on a national stage.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Default Can a Southern Republican win the Presidency today?

Mike Huckabee seems to be a likeable sort of guy. But his religious fundamentalism eliminates him from serious consideration.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I don't think what region the person is from really matters much anymore. There's no reason that a Southern Republican would be at a disadvantage on the national stage just because he or she is from the South. The problem with any Southern candidate is likely to be ideological. As many states in the South have become deep-deep red, the ability for moderates to get elected has been greatly reduced as the Republican primaries have become the de facto elections in many districts. As long as candidates have to spend more time proving that they are more "conservative" and more religious than their opponent than discussing policy you are going to have a continued radicalization of the party. That may play in Arkansas for now, but it's not going to fly on a national stage.

You clarify my point with this thread. Someone who fires up the base in Oklahoma is very unlikely to be palatable nationwide. We don't want ideological, "real" conservatives telling everyone one else what to do. The type that Rush Limbaugh would endorse. That is the problem for the GOP. They seem to want a southern-fried purity that is by definition ideological and intolerant. Look at the RINO phenomenon.

I must conclude they are circling the drain, due to their own silliness.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
Quote:
Rick Perry is done....

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Mike Huckabee seems to be a likeable sort of guy. But his religious fundamentalism eliminates him from serious consideration.
I think you are completely right. Even when he ran before I thought this was his biggest problem. I do like most of his ideas but he is a little to far to the right for me. I would and could support him.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are completely right. Even when he ran before I thought this was his biggest problem. I do like most of his ideas but he is a little to far to the right for me. I would and could support him.
I think Huckabee is a decent man, but I think even many conservatives realize that putting a religious fundamentalist in charge of the government is not a good idea. There would be no separation of church and state. Like my Mom. Love her dearly, but if she were in charge, Rapture Planning would rule the day.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think Huckabee is a decent man, but I think even many conservatives realize that putting a religious fundamentalist in charge of the government is not a good idea. There would be no separation of church and state. Like my Mom. Love her dearly, but if she were in charge, Rapture Planning would rule the day.
that is what I have been saying..I do think he is a good guy, he has a lot of ideas that match mine and he has a great personality which helps, but the religion on the sleeve won't cut it overall. Heck, I am failrly religious, but I don't wear it on my sleeve and I don't think I want a Pres that does. I will continue to enjoy Huck on Sat night TV if we aren't busy doing something else. Perry is a strong Christian but I never got the idea he would control the White House based solely on his religious beliefs. I still say I would support Huck, depending on the oppositiion. I am never going to find the candidate that I agree with 100%, I don't think many have if they are being honest..

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
^ ^ And which particular crazy Huckabee "ideas" match yours? You mean like his suggestion that "the real reason for the Sandy Hook massacre was because we removed God from schools"?!!

And you really think that Perry would never "act on his religious beliefs"? Except for maybe like the time when Perry issued an Official State Proclamation for Texans to Pray For Rain!

Actually I always love that one, because ironically the drought ended when Pres. Obama arrived in Austin (...LOL)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections