Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 AM

397 posts, read 264,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Both republicans and democrats spend spend spend. And in order to do this spending, they create more money. So no, under a democrat nothing will change. Under a republican nothing will change. I think temporary, short term change is possible no matter who you elect. But thinking longterm, I see the only thing changing going on in this country is revolution or radicalized thinking.

at least the Democrats have a solution, and that is to tax the wealthy(the people who more or less create the problems)

The Republican solution is to cut more taxes on the wealthy and spend more money, at least when the Democrats spend money, it is on things that help people(health care,food) Republicans spend the money on wars that benefit the wealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:40 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
More or less create the problems? How do they place more burden on the government where they should have to pay a higher percentage on their income in taxes?

Democrats and Republicans want to see more money funneled into the federal government for one reason, to line their own pockets. It's not about war, it's not about protecting America, it's not about giving everyone a handout... it's about money and power. Cut the blood supply and let the leeches die.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Pres. Bush has given us more debt than all previous presidents combined.
That is one reason why our currency is devalued. If we use the taxes to pay off (at least some of) the debt, that's a good thing. That's a good use for tax revenues and a proper way of management.

I can't wait until the Democrat President pulls the troops out of Iraq. That should stop the hemorrhaging of the budget and creating new debt. Bush's unjustified excessive spending (mostly on Iraq, some on "tax cuts") caused the currency to drop in the first place.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Our problem with our devalued money is complex.
China's economy rose over 11% in the past year..stampeding investors to chinese banks. Oil prices's have adjusted to that value. Commodies carry a REAL value and fluxuate and level to a REAL price.
Our money is printed...if the war was stopped today, it would have little effect on our economy...our government would just need to print less money.
This government, and the next government in 2008, will spend to drive the economy bubble until it explodes. It works on credit payments just like every person in America. Each is extended beyond their limitation to repay. A correction is in order...overdue.
If the stock market melts and we are faced with a global depression, it will be years before a currency is established to compare to the dollar. Financial chaos will mean a new global political structure...possibly the Yen will come out on top.
For certain, millions will die from starvation while the adjustments are made.
A few countries will control their hoards with weaponry, I think that the USA will do that to our people.
The government will be dictatorial and facist...we have given up so many freedoms in the past 25 years...I don't think the change will even be noticed...our people will be expecting a handout and will not really care that much to be involved...most are too busy wasting their time with trivial pursuits and reality shows.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I agree that Iraq was not the main factor in the devaluation of the dollar. It is only important in that it created more debt. China's involvement mostly includes buying interests in government debt. They carry a tremendous portion of our national debt. They see Europe becoming an economic powerhouse, and are beginning to cash in. That, in addition to their articically DEflated currency, accounts for China's role in the declining dollar.
The second main category of peorblems is the undermining of the Middle Class. An economy based on an upper echelon of wealth cannot sustain itself on trust. That is the problem in Mexico. Our economy is consumer based. As people are able to spend less, industries begin to hurt. That consumerism ends. the housing market hurts the dollar. The dollar is not based on Wall Street as much as one may believe. It has to do with the trust in its continued value. Globally speaking, that potential value is slipping. In summation, the dollar depends on the Middle Class.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 AM

Well said:
I mentioned the Yen as a strong currency beause the Japanese went through this same cycle in the 80's and 90's. They have solved their economic problems and sit positioned to make a financial coup in spite of our love affair with China. I cite them because it will take a free world country to step forward. Most of our legal cash (oil money) goes to the Saudi's...they will side with the most powerful and at the present time must keep us afloat. The illegal cash (drug money)hasn't made up its mind...they work better sucking out of government instead of [i]being[i]government.
I also think a model for our government...is Mexico. Think about it. What Hillary is saying is 'Nationalize'...make the rich pay...this may not be far fetched either. Consider a barter system when our money is worthless. All the corn in this country, and it stretches from Ohio to Colorado...and it feeds the world. We may possibly have to revalue our currency on commodities that have a [i]real[i]value.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 AM

47 posts, read 408,904 times
a democrat president will devalue the dollar as much as a republican will(except for R. Paul) through reckless spending which requires borrowing $$$$$$$$$$$ from other nations.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 PM

When we borrow from other countries...what curreny do we borrow? YEP! You guessed it...the greenback....
There is no such thing as 'reckless' spending...It all goes through appropriations to pork barrel projects, incriminating everyone and helping to fund the re-election campaigns with the usual 2% kickback to the appropriator...These pork barrel projects began about 1790. Our money became worthless when we left the gold and silver standards.
How do you devalue a money that is already worthless?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:25 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
at least the Democrats have a solution, and that is to tax the wealthy(the people who more or less create the problems)

The Republican solution is to cut more taxes on the wealthy and spend more money, at least when the Democrats spend money, it is on things that help people(health care,food) Republicans spend the money on wars that benefit the wealthy
who gives you a job? I bet the person at the top is wealthy. If they don't have the capital to put back into the system, they either cut jobs below them, or cut pay.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Tax the wealthy heavily enough and they invest overseas...in actuality, this tax program is a veiled attempt to begin the nationization and government 'protection' of certain vulnerable industries.

Look at our new model for government....Mexico..When we import enough of Mexico, we will be Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections