Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

To those of us who like to travel abroad to keep it real, it has gotten really depressing everytime that we hear that Dollar is always "sinking to new lows" against all other currencies, espec the euro. Would Democratic policies lead to a stronger Dollar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
To those of us who like to travel abroad to keep it real, it has gotten really depressing everytime that we hear that Dollar is always "sinking to new lows" against all other currencies, espec the euro. Would Democratic policies lead to a stronger Dollar?
to keep it real?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Since I export most of my products.. I hope not..

Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
since we have no Gold standard, our money is based on the perception of our government. That is why gold is $700. Globalists can see that, while Wall Street is booming, our actual system is on the decline. Europe, on the other hand, has forged the most powerful economic alliance in history. To a globalist, one is doing much better.
A Democrat reads the economy beyond the Wall Street tickers. They, I believe, see the adverse effects of social stratification (go read the Mexican immigration forum for some good insight on that one), the declining housing market, the decline of real wages (and as a corollary, our consumer based economy) et. cetera. Believe it or not, our money is based on a foreign perception of our status. If we haven't noticed, the foreign perception of us has not been helped by the latest wave of Republicans.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
since we have no Gold standard, our money is based on the perception of our government. That is why gold is $700. Globalists can see that, while Wall Street is booming, our actual system is on the decline. Europe, on the other hand, has forged the most powerful economic alliance in history. To a globalist, one is doing much better.
A Democrat reads the economy beyond the Wall Street tickers. They, I believe, see the adverse effects of social stratification (go read the Mexican immigration forum for some good insight on that one), the declining housing market, the decline of real wages (and as a corollary, our consumer based economy) et. cetera. Believe it or not, our money is based on a foreign perception of our status. If we haven't noticed, the foreign perception of us has not been helped by the latest wave of Republicans.
Take that one step further. Our government funds programs through debt which further devalues the dollar through the addition of funds into our currency. It's not so much that a gold standard is required, it's that we don't create funds out of thin air. If we linked the currency to some measure, be it a percentage of our GDP, it would be better than what we have now.

But that takes away the power of the silent tax from the government. Why raise taxes for additional federal programs when we can deflate our currency and pass it off as inflation? Inflation doesn't hurt the rich very much, but it strangles the poor.

What's funny is that you really only hear one candidate talk openly about this. Ron Paul has been fighting this for years... he's one of the few who has always held the federal reserve chairman's head to the fire on every possible occasion.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Very true. It is just a conservative example of Weimar Germany. We can't have it both ways, most growth in this nation has been artificial. Cities built without water, fortunes made without tangible substance, et. cetera. At least China undervalues their currency on purpose. We just do it out of ignorance.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,145 times
Both republicans and democrats spend spend spend. And in order to do this spending, they create more money. So no, under a democrat nothing will change. Under a republican nothing will change. I think temporary, short term change is possible no matter who you elect. But thinking longterm, I see the only thing changing going on in this country is revolution or radicalized thinking.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Quote:
Will a new Democratic president lead to a higher Dollar?
Hard to tell.

The strongest I've ever remembered the Dollar being in my lifetime (against the German Mark, French Franc, Japanese Yen, and British Pound) was at the height of the Reagan era—around 1984-87.

But one thing I sure can guarantee: a new Democratic president will lead to higher TAXES!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
Will a new Democratic president lead to a higher Dollar?

I don't know...but I do know it'll lead to higher taxes. Yikes!!! As Lancasternative said. BINGO!!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM

Your taxes have little to do with the value of the US Dollar. There are many nations with higher taxes that have higher valued currencies. There are even more low taxed states with lower values currency. Both Democrats and Republicans spend (it is an general expectation of our government no matter who you vote for). Pres. Bush has given us more debt than all previous presidents combined. That degrades the value of the dollar much more than his tax cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections