Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,623,396 times

Advertisements

Can someone give some factual insight on what he stands for/plans to do for America if he wins?

I am completely turned off by HC and Obama and Guiliani....I am a registered Republican but am also fed up with the current President.

I am quite conservative.

I am big on the environment and immigration issues and health care-am against government controlled health care like Canada has.

I am hearing from 'some' that Ron Paul is an extremist....namely my husband has that impression. Can someone clarify/dispute this opinion?

I need some hard and true facts about RP as I am trying to decide soon who I am even leaning toward. Right now, I am clueless....except for the 2nd sentence statement I made above, THAT I am sure of...I don't like those runners....and if I have to, I will write-in my dog instead of giving them a vote.....

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:47 AM

791 posts, read 2,217,460 times
Ron Paul is a Physician, former Libertarian now Republican. Wiki has a fair 'overview' for a quick read.

Congresspedia has additional info.

I'll vote for him in the primary but I won't vote major party ticket in the general election.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,154,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Can someone give some factual insight on what he stands for/plans to do for America if he wins?

I am completely turned off by HC and Obama and Guiliani....I am a registered Republican but am also fed up with the current President.

I am quite conservative.

I am big on the environment and immigration issues and health care-am against government controlled health care like Canada has.

I am hearing from 'some' that Ron Paul is an extremist....namely my husband has that impression. Can someone clarify/dispute this opinion?

I need some hard and true facts about RP as I am trying to decide soon who I am even leaning toward. Right now, I am clueless....except for the 2nd sentence statement I made above, THAT I am sure of...I don't like those runners....and if I have to, I will write-in my dog instead of giving them a vote.....

Thanks.
Well I can certainly understand why a Republican would be turned off by Rudy Giuliani, as he is a lot like Hillary in some respects and does not represent the Republican party as much as he represents the war party of Neoconservatives.

As to Ron Paul being extremist, well I suppose to some he may be seen that way, but many others also feel that contemporary politics have become extreme in the fact that they have so far strayed from the US Constitution. Ron Paul could easily be considered a Constitutionalist, as his basic platform is for a strict adherence to it and for some, our Constitution is something only used by extremist.

The links posted are a good place to start, you may also want to check out his website, or check with Rock the Vote to view his voting record on various issues. I suppose the first place to start is to ask yourself, what are the top three things you are hoping for and then see if that candidate aligns with that position well enough for you to vote for them.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,699,564 times
This is one of the best videos to gain perspective on Ron's views:

YouTube - Candidates@Google: Ron Paul

Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,367,200 times
Factual, issue related reasons why I could never vote for Ron Paul

Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Default hey...

Please keep the info coming , guys. Glitch-could you please clarify the bolded areas....sorry, I am political-ease illiterate!
  • He voted against imposing sanctions against Iran.
  • He votes against almost every appropriation bill.
  • He opposes virtually any form of domestic energy policy that would reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Including opening ANWR.
  • He also voted against extending the moratorium on imposing taxes on Internet access.
  • He voted against the Religious Liberty Protection Act, but voted for a constitutional amendment that would permit states to display the 10 Commandments.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,502,710 times
Quote:

I am quite conservative.

Thanks.
You sound a lot like me. Take a good look at Fred Thompson. He has all of his views laid out on his website fred08.com. He is more conservative then Guilani and Romney and more electable then Paul IMO. I like his tough stance on immigration and he's a 2nd amendment rights kind of guy. All of his agenda looks pretty much old fashion Republican back to basics smaller government type of guy.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,367,200 times
Quote:
Please keep the info coming , guys. Glitch-could you please clarify the bolded areas....sorry, I am political-ease illiterate!
  • He voted against imposing sanctions against Iran.
Ron Paul voted against the Iran Counter-Proliferation Act of 2007 which would've increased the economic sanctions on Iran and to allow the President to determine if the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps should be considered a foreign terrorist organization. It still passed the House 397 to 16, despite Ron Paul's opposition.

Quote:
  • He votes against almost every appropriation bill.
Under Article I, Section 7, Clause 1 of the US Constitution "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills." Except for a small handful of exceptions, Ron Paul has voted against every appropriation bill for the last 10 years.

Quote:
  • He opposes virtually any form of domestic energy policy that would reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Including opening ANWR.
ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, located in the northeastern corner of Alaska. ANWR is the location of the second largest oil find in the US. Since it is on federal lands, only Congress has the authority to determine whether or not the oil companies can be allowed to produce more oil and thus reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Ron Paul voted against opening ANWR in 2005.

Quote:
  • He also voted against extending the moratorium on imposing taxes on Internet access..
The Internet Nondiscrimination Act of 2000 extended the ban against state and local government imposing taxes on Internet access that was enacted by the Internet Tax Freedom Act of 1995. Ron Paul voted against this act. Despite Ron Paul's opposition the bill passed the House 352 to 75.

Quote:
  • He voted against the Religious Liberty Protection Act, but voted for a constitutional amendment that would permit states to display the 10 Commandments.
The Religious Liberty Protection Act of 1999 limits the government's ability to intrude on the religious practice of US citizens. In this case, I was demonstrating Ron Paul's duplicity by voting against religious liberty while voting for a constitutional amendment that would permit states to display the 10 Commandments.

My two biggest problems with Ron Paul are; 1) that he claims to be for "free trade", but he has voted against every free trade agreement proposed in the last decade, and 2) he voted for the "War Against Terrorism" while voting against funding the military to accomplish the task he helped authorize.

Ron Paul is an anti-military, isolationist, hypocrite.

Last edited by Glitch; 10-31-2007 at 12:27 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM

ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, located in the northeastern corner of Alaska. ANWR is the location of the second largest oil find in the US. Since it is on federal lands, only Congress has the authority to determine whether or not the oil companies can be allowed to produce more oil and thus reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Ron Paul voted against opening ANWR in 2005. Thanks....for clarification. For me, this one is big, I am huge into the 'environment'.......... enough is enough. Leave what's left-ALONE.

The Religious Liberty Protection Act of 1999 limits the government's ability to intrude on the religious practice of US citizens. In this case, I was demonstrating Ron Paul's duplicity by voting against religious liberty while voting for a constitutional amendment that would permit states to display the 10 Commandments. I need to clarify this some more, because I am very much a Christian-and our 'freedom of speech' is quickly enough-being whittled away.........this is another biggie 4 me.

One more ?-what does he propose 4 our health care dilemma?

My two biggest problems with Ron Paul are; 1) that he claims to be for "free trade", but he has voted against every free trade agreement proposed in the last decade, and 2) he voted for the "War Against Terrorism" while voting against funding the military to accomplish the task he helped authorize.

Ron Paul is an anti-military, isolationist, hypocrite.[/quote]

I am a bit baffled by ur remark above. And so, can I ask, is HC, Obama, JE,or Giuliani 100% perfect and squeaky clean? The 3 words u used sound pretty minimal to me......when the other runners could probably have many more 'negatives' applied to them (including the above 3 words!).

If u could/would 'bullet' a list of negs for the other 'guys'....would u have many less 'issues' with them??????????

Thanks, Glitch

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,154,861 times
Quote:

Ron Paul is an anti-military, isolationist, hypocrite.
I am a bit baffled by ur remark above. And so, can I ask, is HC, Obama, JE,or Giuliani 100% perfect and squeaky clean? The 3 words u used sound pretty minimal to me......when the other runners could probably have many more 'negatives' applied to them (including the above 3 words!).

Thanks, Glitch [/quote]

Well twowolves, you would not be the only one baffled. Consider that Ron Paul has a higher percentage of supporters and donations from the military than any other GOP candidate, it would seem contrary to him being, "anti-military", would it not? People in the military sure seem to support him.

If anything, those people who support war are the ones who are isolationist, as we engage in asymmetrical warfare in more and more places, fewer nations trust or support us, lessening and restricting our choices of business and travel.

After 9-11 and during the early Afghanistan campaign when the vast majority of the world and even most Muslim nations supported us, Americans were welcomed freely around the globe and people could sympathize with the trauma our nation had experienced. Since the Iraq war, the view towards Americans has plummeted making it far more risky for Americans to travel and do business abroad.

Ron Paul is far from perfect and certainly has his share of flaws but I challenge you to provide another Presidential candidate that has a more consistent voting record in Congress or government in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections