Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) - Responsibility for stopping illegal immigration belongs to the federal government and not to cities, states or businesses, Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani said Tuesday.

Giuliani told small-business owners he would not punish them for unwittingly hiring illegal immigrants.

Federal officials are "trying to put the responsibility for this on employers, on city government, on state government," the former New York mayor said during a conference call arranged by the National Federation of Independent Businesses.

Giuliani: Illegals Are a Federal Problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:15 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I agree-it is a federal issue.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
It may well be a federal issue but when states refuse to cooperate we've got a problem. We need all levels of government to work together to get this problem under control, starting on the federal level.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:37 AM

382 posts, read 954,343 times
Of course its a Federal problem, however, the only reason that states and cities are taking the lead against illegal immigration is because our federal government is inept and/or doesn't care, or both, about handling this problem. The states and cities are the areas that live and deal with the problems that this issue causes; in contrast, the federal government, and our "representatives", sit in DC and get fatter. It's like any issue that needs something done about it; someone, true leaders, have to take the lead no matter who's responsibility it is. We have fat cat bureaucrats in DC not leaders. It's also not a democrat, republican thing, its the entire federal system that is deaf to the wants and needs of the American people.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,422 times
No, it is a state problem. The federal government is not the answer to everything. And they haven't been the answer either. They will not take the law into their own hands, therefore cities and states have to themselves.

It it high time that us as Americans stand up for what is right and make these illegals feel unwelcome in this country. Encourage local businesses, politicians, lawyers etc to pass legislation fining businesses HEAVILY for hiring illegals. If people in your state care enough, organize groups together similar to the minuteman. This issue will not be solved by the federal government, it will only be solved by individual and group action. I foresee a future where a revolution will take place. Not neccesarily violent, but a revolution in thinking none the less. Most Americans are sick of the double standards and hypocrisy in the law.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
No, it is a state problem. The federal government isnt the solution for everything
California is shortchanged in federal spending to the tune of $50 Billion compared to what we pay to DC in the form of taxes.

Sorry but from our viewpoint, the fed hasnt been able to really solve anything-perhaps they can at least handle this.

You think?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) - Responsibility for stopping illegal immigration belongs to the federal government and not to cities, states or businesses, Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani said Tuesday.

Giuliani told small-business owners he would not punish them for unwittingly hiring illegal immigrants.

Federal officials are "trying to put the responsibility for this on employers, on city government, on state government," the former New York mayor said during a conference call arranged by the National Federation of Independent Businesses.

Giuliani: Illegals Are a Federal Problem
I think the Federal Government should take sure and consistent action to deal with this problem. However, I do not agree with Giuliani. The problem is not just a Federal problem. It is far too vast to be contained at one level of government. It is a state and local government problem too. At least the local level is where I feel it the most. English is the official language of the Federal Government, but at the local level in many cities and states that is not supported or enforced. This problem is too big to say Oh the responsiblility is all on the Feds. Clearly, it will take a coordinated effort from all government at every level. Americans have to speak and act as on on this issue or it will never be resolved. I find it disturbing that Giuliani does not understand the gravity of this issue or either he is saying what he thinks is the popular, most politically advantageous thing to say. I don't like this guy...I don't trust him. All that being said he may not be any worse than any other politician. I hope this is not the case though

Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times
Default Saying it is FEDERAL PROBLEM is just a way to do nothing

I notice that many of the open borders people who do not want to do anything about illegal immigration are using the same comments over and over (its a federal issue.. its a federal issue!!) I think they know that the federal government is not going to do much about illegal aliens so by insisting it is a federal issue they are successful in continuing the status quo.

I believe all parts of government needs to help arrest and deport as many illegal aliens as possible and make life incredibly difficult for the rest who are not arrested. It is a local and state issue too.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I think its an issue for everyone. All levels of government need to be involved, all should be working together to put a stop to this epidemic.
The fed Gov should be backing all levels of gov and prosecuting and deporting as fast as possible. Even if it means setting up 24 hour courts in strategic locations, preferably at an airport to facilitate quick departures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections