Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM

602 posts, read 571,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Did Clinton go AWOL?? Did Clinton completely disappear that his own staff had no clue where the hell he was??
Did Sanford lie under oath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,761,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
So we see a glimpse of 2014...
yep, he got 10% less points than Romney in the same District. World's ending for the GOP....

Number play at its best!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,472,899 times
Oh, well, surely plenty of people in S. Carolina would rather vote for a pineapple over a Democrat any day.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM

8,850 posts, read 5,316,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
yep, he got 10% less points than Romney in the same District. World's ending for the GOP....

Number play at its best!
They appeared a bit traumatized on the Democratic side as well ...... wasn't it about a million dollars they flushed trying to beat him? Oh well, I'm sure a few Hollywood folks will make it up.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Apparently it is okay because he boinked someone of the opposite sex and apparently espouses guns. A good ole white man in the south having a mistress is an asset to repubs.
It would seem better an asset to the Republicans than one for Democrats.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
They appeared a bit traumatized on the Democratic side as well ...... wasn't it about a million dollars they flushed trying to beat him? Oh well, I'm sure a few Hollywood folks will make it up.
I don't think traumatized is the right word. A more appropriate one would be disgusted.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,341,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is my district. For so many of you going on and on about the Christian right and how you are shocked Sanford won due to that, well that's not this district. We are on the coast, in the metro area of Charleston, and the district runs up to through Pawley's Island and to the southern end of Myrtle Beach.

This district is very right. However, it is NOT a Christian right area. It is quite affluent, has an enormous small business presence, and has consistently voted Republican. During this election, it actually got quite irritating to the residents here. Once the big Democrat money flowed in, it was negative from Busch 100% of the time. She never, not once, stated her own positions and instead sent out mailers, had commercials, and any other means to slam Sanford. It got to the point that people were talking about how petty it had become. She ended up alienating the very people she was trying to sway.

This district is less about the whole family values thing that the Christian right supports (which, by the way, I think is STUPID to expect from ANY politician), and more about the financial aspect of the Republican platform. The general consensus here was that a vote for Busch = a vote for the Pelosi/Obama agenda. It became a point of go with what you know.

So, for those wondering how this district voted for him? It was really more about economics than anything else. As an aside, we're a highly educated, very affluent area and have been rated one of the best areas for small business in the United States. We are not ignorant, illiterate, or any of the other narrow-minded characteristics that seem to be an assumption by those that have never been here.

Sometimes, it's just about a candidate's platform. Sanford, we knew, would be very conservative fiscally. Busch, we only knew she wanted to beat Sanford.
So red state capitalists will vote for anyone, regardless of the content of their character, as long as they promote the right-wing agenda.

It will be interesting to see what occurs in the red states as the country becomes more polarized between regressive/pro-income inequality and progressive. The red states I've visited appear to have a lot of poor areas. The fact is that they elect people of low character like Sanford, and thus this poverty does not surprise me. LBJ lamented that the Democrats lost the South due to the Voting Rights Act, but the South has devoted itself to the dark side for many, many years.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think traumatized is the right word. A more appropriate one would be disgusted.
I think traumatized is the right word.

I can't really see how a party that supports the likes of Ted Kennedy can be overly disgusted with Sanford. Are they contemplating the return of Anthony Weiner as well?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
So red state capitalists will vote for anyone, regardless of the content of their character, as long as they promote the right-wing agenda.

It will be interesting to see what occurs in the red states as the country becomes more polarized between regressive/pro-income inequality and progressive. The red states I've visited appear to have a lot of poor areas. The fact is that they elect people of low character like Sanford, and thus this poverty does not surprise me. LBJ lamented that the Democrats lost the South due to the Voting Rights Act, but the South has devoted itself to the dark side for many, many years.
Way to not understand what I wrote at all. My point was that this particular district is NOT poor. We are also NOT Conservative Christians either. We are actually fiscal conservatives. The point was that of the two, only Sanford supported the same things (small business, low taxes, reduced fed gov't spending, etc) that the voters in this district supported. Did not help Busch that she supported the NLRB against Boeing either. When it came down to it, Sanford, even with his past, was a vastly superior candidate to Busch. Her entire platform was that she wasn't Sanford. That clearly did not work out for her.

By the way, median income for our area is over $70K and poverty rate is below 3%. So, it appears that we must be doing something right.

ETA: We have also been named one of the top five cities in the country for small business. The constituents will vote for the candidate that represents the things they consider most important. That's pretty much the way its always been.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to say, I am a little surprised. I guess some people will vote for a candidate based on what they consider qualifications and forget their personal life.
In other words, the right quickly forgets about their allegedly cherished family values when it's a Republican candidate. The GOP, encouraging selective memory whenever it suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections