Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I absolutely never said that or anything similar. I did say no one much had heard of Obama until he decided to run and yes, his color certainly got him attention. This is not saying that blacks get to where they are because of color. And yes, anything unusual will help an individual move ahead in many cases. This isn't good or bad, just simple fact. Obama had not made a huge impression due to merit when he decided to run for Pres. He really had done nothing particularly impressive. Do you deny that? If you do, you are not being totally honest.
No, you're right.

Misunderstood what you meant, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, Mia. Run, Baby, run.

I like Ms. Love. She's well spoken and has good libertarian leaning values. She'll be good representation for her district.

I'll rejoice...
Too bad the people in her district don't agree with you.

Oh well, maybe she can run for governor of Alaska

Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, you're right.

Misunderstood what you meant, that's all.
hey, it isn't the first time someone misunderstood me and what do you want to bet, it won't be the last. I do the same, probably too often..

Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Too bad the people in her district don't agree with you.

Oh well, maybe she can run for governor of Alaska
could I ask, what is it you have against her? Is it her party affiliation, her color, her being a female, what? Yes, she lost, candidates lose all the time and turn around to win. She barely lost, against a very popular candidate and someone that was very well known. I always find it amazing how people can gloat about someone's loss. Do you really know much about Mia Love or are you just happy to see one less Republican in office?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
could I ask, what is it you have against her? Is it her party affiliation, her color, her being a female, what? Yes, she lost, candidates lose all the time and turn around to win. She barely lost, against a very popular candidate and someone that was very well known. I always find it amazing how people can gloat about someone's loss. Do you really know much about Mia Love or are you just happy to see one less Republican in office?
no and yes...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Utah

I should have posted this a couple months ago, but better late than never.

I'm glad to see that she is not giving up. She's still only 37 and I see her as Lady Thatcher. We could use one of those right now.
I like her a lot!! Utah should be ashamed for not sending her to DC!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
It was a close race, however this is a very Republican seat (it is the most Republican seat held by a Democrat, the GOP doesn't hold any seats that are as Democratic as this district is Republican). To top it off the GOP tried to gerrymander there way into getting this seat and they still couldn't do it.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It was a close race, however this is a very Republican seat (it is the most Republican seat held by a Democrat, the GOP doesn't hold any seats that are as Democratic as this district is Republican). To top it off the GOP tried to gerrymander there way into getting this seat and they still couldn't do it.
I would agree with you 100% if it were not for the candidate she was running against. I think that has been pointed out over and over, specially by those knowing a lot about Utah. He wasn't just a unknown or somewhat known Democrat, he was well known and very well liked. This certainly had an affect wouldn't you say?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
IIRC she lost by about a third of a percent, which is actually less than the normal margin of error in US elections. Back in 2000, I remember hearing that the normal error rate in elections is about .5 percent, or 1 in every 200 votes.

Anyone who tries to characterize this as a poor showing by a rookie candidate against an incumbent (incumbent re-election rate is around 90%), has probably fallen victim to a bout of wishful thinking.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
IIRC she lost by about a third of a percent, which is actually less than the normal margin of error in US elections. Back in 2000, I remember hearing that the normal error rate in elections is about .5 percent, or 1 in every 200 votes.

Anyone who tries to characterize this as a poor showing by a rookie candidate against an incumbent (incumbent re-election rate is around 90%), has probably fallen victim to a bout of wishful thinking.
She can't even beat a Democrat in a very conservative district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections