Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

This ought to be entertaining ... A regular "One Liner" vs "One Percenter"..

Franken gets first Republican challenger in businessman McFadden - The Hill's Ballot Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
'He's concerned about the direction of the country', what, that it's not moving to plutocracy quick enough?

I would like to see more Democratic super-majorities as in California.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

125 posts, read 132,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
This ought to be entertaining ... A regular "One Liner" vs "One Percenter"..

Franken gets first Republican challenger in businessman McFadden - The Hill's Ballot Box
It's interesting -- all the potential Republican A-list candidates in Minnesota (Pawlenty, Coleman, Paulsen, Emmer, Kline, and a few others) are passing against the two candidates up in 2016 (Dayton and Franken) who won extremely close pluralities (Dayon by about 9000 votes; Franken by about 300 votes) and who the GOP had previously expressed eagerness to take on again (with periodic complaints of the elections having been stolen).

Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
I was disappointed that Al Franken was the Dem choice in 2008. Sometimes you have to acknowledge someone on your side is a total pill.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I was disappointed that Al Franken was the Dem choice in 2008. Sometimes you have to acknowledge someone on your side is a total pill.
Franken has been doing a great job.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I can't say that I was that thrilled either. The one thing I was looking forward to -- the debates -- were boring instead of amusing. In retrospect, Franken very nearly lost in a bigtime Democratic wave election. Norm Coleman even said as much. (Though to be fair, defeating an incumbent senator isn't usually easy. Coleman is a slimy, disgusting individual who became a senator only because Paul Wellstone died.)

However, he's kept his head down and done good work. I think he will be harder to defeat in 2014. (And by that, I mean good work for a Senator. Come on, the guy's a wealthy congressman, how good could it be? ) MN will have a relatively popular governor on the ballot too, so that should help him.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I can't say that I was that thrilled either. The one thing I was looking forward to -- the debates -- were boring instead of amusing. In retrospect, Franken very nearly lost in a bigtime Democratic wave election. Norm Coleman even said as much. (Though to be fair, defeating an incumbent senator isn't usually easy. Coleman is a slimy, disgusting individual who became a senator only because Paul Wellstone died.)

However, he's kept his head down and done good work. I think he will be harder to defeat in 2014. (And by that, I mean good work for a Senator. Come on, the guy's a wealthy congressman, how good could it be? ) MN will have a relatively popular governor on the ballot too, so that should help him.
I agree. I think in 008, a ey reason it was so close is many people (including Democrats) were unsure of how serious of a Senator he really was considering his background. However, when it comes down to it, regardless of your ideology, and whether you agree with him or not, Fraken has been serious, has worked hard, and ran to get something done not just so he can scream with a bunch of microphones in his face or get his name in the news (unlike a certain member of Congress from his state that is retiring)

Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 PM

125 posts, read 132,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I agree. I think in 008, a ey reason it was so close is many people (including Democrats) were unsure of how serious of a Senator he really was considering his background. However, when it comes down to it, regardless of your ideology, and whether you agree with him or not, Fraken has been serious, has worked hard, and ran to get something done not just so he can scream with a bunch of microphones in his face or get his name in the news (unlike a certain member of Congress from his state that is retiring)
The presence of Dean Barkley in the race was problematic for Franken as well; Barkley's positions are closer to those of the DFL than the GOP. And, let's face it, Franken had baggage. His tenure thus far, however, has been almost pitch-perfect for the Minnesota electorate.

As far as I know, Al Franken is the only person ever to defeat two United States Senators in a Senate election (he defeated incumbent Senator Norm Coleman and former Senator Dean Barkley).

I wonder if the possible entrance of Don Shelby into the MN-3 race might change Erik Paulsen's calculus on which office to pursue in 2014?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of Lime View Post
It's interesting -- all the potential Republican A-list candidates in Minnesota (Pawlenty, Coleman, Paulsen, Emmer, Kline, and a few others) are passing against the two candidates up in 2016 (Dayton and Franken) who won extremely close pluralities (Dayon by about 9000 votes; Franken by about 300 votes) and who the GOP had previously expressed eagerness to take on again (with periodic complaints of the elections having been stolen).

I have a hunch that the GOP has some numbers that tell them they have little chance in those contests.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I have a hunch that the GOP has some numbers that tell them they have little chance in those contests.
There will always be races that one side or the other know they have little chance of winning. This certainly isn't newsworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections