Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

I could live with him IF he tells both parties to kiss-off and runs as an Independent but not if he panders to the GOP Kingmakers as he would have to do to get the party's nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,521 times
I wouldn't vote for Christie for the same reason I never considered Romney.

He hasn't been a particularly good governor.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I could live with him IF he tells both parties to kiss-off and runs as an Independent but not if he panders to the GOP Kingmakers as he would have to do to get the party's nomination.
Or tries to turn himself into a hard core rift wing extremist to win the Republican primary. Unfortunately, that is what most GOP candidates are forced to do these days.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And you think this is going to hurt him? He is very passionate about his state (probably about most things) and Clinton congratulated him for his reactions during Sandy. If anything Clinton's reaction to Christie might indicate Hillary isn't running so Clinton is turning toward Christie? No, I don't believe that nor think it, but I am pointing out what can be read into any article if one tries hard enough. The headlines are misleading and are coming from a very liberal blog, wouldn't you agree?
Gallup: Christie most popular GOP hopeful, least popular with GOP base - The Hill's Ballot Box

Quote:
Christie has made a number of moves in past months that have improved his standing with independent and Democratic voters at this expense of some popularity with his own party. The appearance with Clinton comes shortly after he angered Republicans by choosing a quick election to fill an open Senate seat in New Jersey rather than picking a Republican who could hold the seat for the rest of the term. Some Republicans remain angry over his close working relationship with President Obama on Hurricane Sandy relief, and his criticism of House Republicans after they delayed passage of relief funding.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...#ixzz2WImvYbNA
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
These days it seems "moderate" is a dirty word to the GOP.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
So far as I'm aware he has never articulated any ideas on what he would do as POTUS. On that basis how would anyone know wether to support him or not?
of course he hasn't. He hasn't even indicated he is or wants to run, anymore than most other possible candidates, but he has told us where he stands on gun control, amnesty, gay rights, etc. What more could he or should he have done at this stage? Most of us know enough about him to know whether we support him full hardily, somewhat or not at all.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
After 2001 I swore that as long as I walked upon the earth I would never ever again entertain the idea of voting for a Republican for any national office. And while I'm certainly not sure that I would vote for one in 2016 depending on the make up of the Congress, I do believe that I might be able to suffer a Chris Christie presidency or even vote for him... although if he is running against the usual batch of Republican idiots I would certainly work damned hard for him to win the nomination.

What say you folks.
No way. I had to hold my nose to vote for DINOs like Clinton and Obama, definitely not going hard-right with Christie.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who is he running against?
The question, if you hadn't noticed was hypothetical so you can plug any variable that one chooses, just as most contributors have up till now.

Quote:
And isn't it wonderful to be so patrician that you admit you would not vote for the other side.
Patrician? What is this an exercise of the word of the day? Nothing "patrician" about one citizen discussing with other citizens how they might cast their one vote in a democratic election.

Quote:
I am amazed at how many on the left feel this way, they would vote for anyone with a D next to their name, and never vote for an R, even if that person held all the same views or maybe the left doesn't really have views, they only look at the party name!!!!.
Your comment is a fail on so many levels so I will just point out a few. Your argument presupposes some fantasy Republican who has the same views and philosophy as a Democrat, such a candidate doesn't exist. Second as most have pointed out when considering a Christie nomination, it would heavily depend upon the composition of the Congress. Even if a Republican candidate who was a virtual Democrat if the Republican Party's strangle hold on the Congress came along with the package, we, Democrats, would be confronted once again with the inmates running the asylum without and a President beholden to a party of lunatics regardless of their own personal positions.

Quote:
Now will he even get the nomination, right now it is a toss up. He has a couple of seriously drawbacks but is very popular in other ways.
Duh!

Quote:
This has been discussed on this forum a million times and will continue to be discussed. OF the his mannerisms, might be his biggest drawback. The weight issue unless he really does get it under control is another and yes, thinks like his stand on gun control might hurt him, but he also really liked by a lot of people, including some of the Republican insiders. I don't think things like his reaction after Sandy are going to hurt him in the long run.
These are Republican problems, not ours. This is a thread for Democrats to discuss our views on the possibility of a viable Christie run for the Presidency.

But thank you for sharing.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:27 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,202 times
The only aspect I don't like about how Christie has been treated is the talk about his weight. It's appalling that that would even be used as an attack. Health is a factor but he is free to maintain whatever weight he wants; his behaviour and policies are fair game, yes. Given his anti-labour attacks/etc., would never vote for him.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
No way. I had to hold my nose to vote for DINOs like Clinton and Obama, definitely not going hard-right with Christie.
Christie might defect though, as some GOP members did in the past, because they didn't like what the GOP was doing and talking about, or the direction they're headed in.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Christie might defect though, as some GOP members did in the past, because they didn't like what the GOP was doing and talking about, or the direction they're headed in.
no one can ever say NEVER, or shouldn't but the chance of his defecting are pretty darn slim. Have you heard him and how he defends being a Republican. As I have said before, there is a difference in being a Republican and a conservative. Actually on some issues he is also very conservative, but regardless he isn't likely to change parties. What has he said about the party that would make you think this? We all, from time to time, if we are honest and have a clue, do not like something a candidate or our party has done or stands for. That doesn't mean we are anywhere close to switching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections