Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

Politically speaking, 2016 is lightyears ahead of us, and trying to predict what will happen is foolish.

The GOP is not dead and the candidate may very well be someone we least expect. Who knows? Maybe the ultra-conservative core of the GOP, tired of what they call RINOs, will nominated Rick Santorum in '16.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Politically speaking, 2016 is lightyears ahead of us, and trying to predict what will happen is foolish.

The GOP is not dead and the candidate may very well be someone we least expect. Who knows? Maybe the ultra-conservative core of the GOP, tired of what they call RINOs, will nominated Rick Santorum in '16.
If the GOP nominates Santorum expect them to only win less than 100 electoral votes in the General Election. Santorum would do worse among young voters than McCain or Romney did, and Hillary has support in the South that Obama did not have.

If Hillary runs I think the GOP will have trouble in Arkansas and Louisiana and may even have to defend Texas.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM

125 posts, read 132,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
According to the new PPP polling from the last week in the state of Iowa, Rand Paul has now pulled ahead in the polls

Paul, Clinton lead in Iowa for 2016 - Public Policy Polling

Hillary still leads when it comes to dems.

Really wish Brian Schweitzer would get his name out there more, Andrew Cuomo as well
At this point, these polls mostly reflect name-recognition and wish-lists. The only thing that really stands out is Clinton's massive lead. I doubt any previous potential primary candidate, excluding incumbent Presidents, has ever had such a formidable lead 3+ years out.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM

125 posts, read 132,470 times
Quote:

Given Santorum's performance in 2012, his nomination in 2016 would not be surprising. He won Iowa, after all, and he did so despite being massively outspent.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/buzzfeed-exclusive-how-much-did-the-republicans-w

True, he faded after Iowa. But then, Romney was declared the winner until several weeks later, depriving Santorum of a major boost in exposure and the resulting financial backing. And while he won't play well politically in much of the northeast, he will in the south and the more blue collar states, and he can probably hold his own in parts of the conservative west.

Factor in the experience he's gained now that he's run once, and the fact that he's been vetted, if he runs he's going to draw much more financial support simply because he has proven that he can go much farther on a dollar than the other candidates. Toss in the fact that the GOP frequently nominates the candidate who came in second in the nomination race before (Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan) and suddenly Santorum in 2016 doesn't look at all surprising as the GOP candidate. And consider that like Romney in 2008, Santorum in 2012 won 11 states, and did it on a shoestring budget (whereas Romney threw over $40 million of his personal fortune at his '08 bid). And he won more states than McCain did in 2000, than Dole did in 1988, and GHW Bush did in 1980 - and they all went on to win the nomination the next time they sought it.

I don't think Santorum is a lock by any means, and I certainly don't suggest that he'd be a good strategic choice as a nominee. But at this point in time I would consider him the single most likely nominee for the GOP in 2016.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:

Santorum did finish 2nd in the 012 primaries and speaking on the GOP, the guy who finishes 2nd seems to get the nomination in the next go around. At least that was the case for McCain and Romney. But at this point if I had to take a bet, I would bet on Paul Ryan.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I remember many years ago cutting my teeth on here swearing up and down that this Obama guy was going to beat Hillary and get the nomination. Oh, I am such a fool I was told.

All I can say this far out is that the Dems will win. Maybe I'll look like a fool? Who knows!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If the GOP nominates Santorum expect them to only win less than 100 electoral votes in the General Election. Santorum would do worse among young voters than McCain or Romney did, and Hillary has support in the South that Obama did not have.

If Hillary runs I think the GOP will have trouble in Arkansas and Louisiana and may even have to defend Texas.
They are not going to go with Santorum, anyone who thinks they are needs to get really serious. No, AR will not go for Hillary I don't think; 20 years ago, which was a different AR than now. Certainly she isn't going to get Texas. I lived in Texas when Bill was president. For the most part he was not liked or respected my hardly anyone. I can't speak for LA

Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They are not going to go with Santorum, anyone who thinks they are needs to get really serious. No, AR will not go for Hillary I don't think; 20 years ago, which was a different AR than now. Certainly she isn't going to get Texas. I lived in Texas when Bill was president. For the most part he was not liked or respected my hardly anyone. I can't speak for LA
The Clintons are still beloved in Arkansas. Not really in the NW part of the state which never even voted for Bill, but in Little Rock and the eastern parts of the state the vote will go heavily for Hillary. That should be enough to carry the state.

Hillary will not likely carry Texas vs a strong Republican, but she probably would against Santorum.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
The Clintons are still beloved in Arkansas. Not really in the NW part of the state which never even voted for Bill, but in Little Rock and the eastern parts of the state the vote will go heavily for Hillary. That should be enough to carry the state.

Hillary will not likely carry Texas vs a strong Republican, but she probably would against Santorum.
If Santorum ran against Hillary, he'd win AL, MS, MT, LA and if the growth continued to occur the way it is here in Texas between now and 2016, he would not win Texas. Nearly 3 million new people will have moved to Texas by 2016. They tend to lean Republican, but not Perry Republican. Santorum Republican? No way in hell.

I'm already predicting Greg Abbott will lose the primary.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

Well remember, for the first time since the civil war, all the house reps are republicans and we have 1 Republican senator with a good possibility of 2, by next year. and also remember NWA is where the strong voting population is. Little Rock could go either way, the rest of the state just isn't that important for a candidate to win. In the 90s when Clinton was running NWA didn't have the population they have now. I am not basing my opinion only on the views of those living here, but others I have talked to throughout the state and articles in the paper as well as watching AR weekly on PBS every Friday night when we are home. So, I don't think anyone can say she is a shoe in to win AR. Had she moved back here, after they left office, it would have been a very different story. Now against Santorum, that is a different story but he isn't going to be the nominee I don't think. What happened last year, in my view, a lot of Republicans were looking for anyone, other than Romney. As one on top of another, the candidates drooped out, Santorum gained in popularity. Why? Because so many just didn't want Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections