Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 AM

29,167 posts, read 22,137,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Are NeoCon views still considered legitimate in Wyoming?

I suspect the recent attacks on Senator Rand Paul by the likes of Rep. Peter King show that in most parts of the US the NeoCons are in their final death throes.
Maybe neo-con views are not popular in Wyoming, but Cheney still is. He's probably more popular now that he's out of politics than he was before. But that does not mean is popularity will rub off on his daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,060,720 times
Default Liz Cheney, wrong for Wyoming and wrong for America

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe neo-con views are not popular in Wyoming, but Cheney still is. He's probably more popular now that he's out of politics than he was before. But that does not mean is popularity will rub off on his daughter.
Do the people of Wyoming want someone representing them who is bought and paid for by the big oil companies and the Military Industrial Complex? If so that's what they'll get from Liz Cheney. Her blind ambition has emboldened her to challenge a popular incumbent from her own party and to marginalize her own kid sister. What do you think Liz will do to her constituents who know what kind of monster her father is yet would still support her?

My home State of North Carolina is now a train wreck for embracing ideas which cater to the well connected, rich and powerful at the expense of everybody else. A vote for Liz Cheney as Senator would mean that Wyoming wants to follow down that very same path.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Do the people of Wyoming want someone representing them who is bought and paid for by the big oil companies and the Military Industrial Complex? If so that's what they'll get from Liz Cheney. Her blind ambition has emboldened her to challenge a popular incumbent from her own party and to marginalize her own kid sister. What do you think Liz will do to her constituents who know what kind of monster her father is yet would still support her?

My home State of North Carolina is now a train wreck for embracing ideas which cater to the well connected, rich and powerful at the expense of everybody else. A vote for Liz Cheney as Senator would mean that Wyoming wants to follow down that very same path.
I don't think Wyomingites care much about big oil or the military industrial complex. Both have been major forces in the state before it was a state. Remember Teapot Dome?

Even though I've lived next door to Wyoming all my life, and have spent considerable time there, all I can really say is: The west is mostly personal politics. How a person votes is not as important as how the person is liked.
In a state that has just over half a million citizens, politics is all about family connections, friendships, back scratching and the LDS church. Dick Cheney, however monstrous he is, came from them, was formed by them, thinks like them and stuck with them even when he left long ago. He still has deep roots, but his daughter does not.

Liz should have moved back to Wyoming at least 2 years ago with pronouncements that she was home for good if she seriously wanted to win. It takes much, much more to be a Wyomingite than a summer home and a cowboy hat. That is true in Idaho, Montana, and most of the west as well.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
I don't think Wyomingites care much about big oil or the military industrial complex. Both have been major forces in the state before it was a state. Remember Teapot Dome?

Even though I've lived next door to Wyoming all my life, and have spent considerable time there, all I can really say is: The west is mostly personal politics. How a person votes is not as important as how the person is liked.
In a state that has just over half a million citizens, politics is all about family connections, friendships, back scratching and the LDS church. Dick Cheney, however monstrous he is, came from them, was formed by them, thinks like them and stuck with them even when he left long ago. He still has deep roots, but his daughter does not.

Liz should have moved back to Wyoming at least 2 years ago with pronouncements that she was home for good if she seriously wanted to win. It takes much, much more to be a Wyomingite than a summer home and a cowboy hat. That is true in Idaho, Montana, and most of the west as well.
what about Hillary and NY back in 2000? How do you explain that?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what about Hillary and NY back in 2000? How do you explain that?
New York ain't Wyoming. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,060,720 times
Default Daughter of the Dark Side

The people of Wyoming may not care that Liz Cheney was spawned by the devil himself then suckled on black milk and that she is now ready to fulfill her destiny by becoming death, the destroyer of worlds but they have to hate the fact that she's stepping on a popular incumbent's toes.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 09-02-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 AM

Yup, Griz.
Your post pretty much says it all.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
New York ain't Wyoming. It's as simple as that.
My point is based more on the fact: they were or are, both pretty much carpet baggers. It has little to do with what state they are representing.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My point is based more on the fact: they were or are, both pretty much carpet baggers. It has little to do with what state they are representing.
Maybe it doesn't make much difference to either woman, but it means everything to the citizens of the states they chose to carpetbag.

Mrs. Clinton was accepted by enough New Yorkers to elect her, but it remains to be seen if Liz will be accepted similarly.

Makes perfect sense to me; New York is neither as Republican, Libertarian, or LDS as Wyoming. 2 entirely different traditions in states 3000 apart.

Idahoans aren't any more amenable to carpetbaggers than Wyomingites. In the 2010 primaries, the Idaho GOP's party wheeler-dealers chose to run a carpetbagger. The guy was born in Idaho, but moved away, had a military career, and moved to Washington D.C.
His qualifications looked good on paper, but the voters believed he was helicoptered in and resented the big shots for using a carpetbagger.
The guy did himself in as well; he did a couple of great sounding speeches that turned out to have been plagiarized straight from Obama speeches. Between the plagiarizing and the carpetbagging, he was run over and lost big. He left and never came back.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 AM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Those three people had respected last names but Liz Cheney's last name is a liability given what a train wreck the Bush/Cheney administration turned out to be. Granted, in the world of Citizens United Liz has nearly unlimited campaign funds but her dad's legacy is tough to overcome in legitimate political circles. Especially if she's running against a respected incumbent.
Clinton is a "respected" name? One of them was impeached!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections