Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It's been my experience that most GOP consider themselves Christians who have little tolerance for atheist and other religions. They also come off as anti abortion, anti immigration, anti social services for the poor, anti gay marriage, anti global warming, anti gun control, anti minority, etc, etc. If they think half of America are welfare bums and then insult or put off even more people by focusing on policies which stem from their religious beliefs instead of focusing on economics, fiscal responsibility, small government, lower taxes for all (not just the rich), etc, how do they ever expect to win another election? In the last 21 years, we've had 6 elections. Republicans only won the popular vote in 1 of those (Bush 2004). Yes, G. Bush won it in 2004 but by only 3 million votes which was the smallest margin since 1978 when Jimmy Carter won the by only 1 million. Everyone hates Obama, but even he won by 9.5 and 5 million in the last 2 elections. I also do not think that Bush would have won again if not for 911.

It's honestly not looking to good for 2016 either, and that's not just my point of view. Many popular GOP blogs and news sites have hinted to the same. I think that the fall of the Republican party began when they started mixing church and state and continued to decline even father when they appear to insult the poor and middle class. They just seem like a party of elitist who just about dislikes everyone who isn't an American born, Christian God fearing, financially secure, white American. Why don't they stop focusing so much on social and religious issues and go back to their core values...
now go back to the 1980s and tell us about 3 elections in a row: who got the popular votes then? If you think the Republicans are anti abortion, anti immigration, anti helping the poor, anti atheist, and anti all the rest now, go back to the 80s and take a good look. Oh and btw, what is anti global warming? I didn't know anyone could be pro or anti global warming. The party isn't nearly as anti anything as you seem to think it is.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ah, yet another Hallucinatory Expository from the Loony Left (HELL). At least you did not drone on forever like so many of them tend to do. I was actually able to read it all the way thru. Good job!
I'm a loon because I'm critiquing Republicans? You insult be without offering any kind of coherent rebuttal? I want to vote Republican and believe in what old school Republicans stood for. I'm for less government, less taxes, the 2nd Amendment, fiscal responsibility, self reliance, etc... Todays Republican party is all about social issues and religious issues, and they have forgotten what they stood for. I'm in the middle, but would like to lean right because I think that's what we need right now, but I can not do so for. I believe in the philosophy of your party, but not the reality and what it's become...

Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now go back to the 1980s and tell us about 3 elections in a row: who got the popular votes then? If you think the Republicans are anti abortion, anti immigration, anti helping the poor, anti atheist, and anti all the rest now, go back to the 80s and take a good look. Oh and btw, what is anti global warming? I didn't know anyone could be pro or anti global warming. The party isn't nearly as anti anything as you seem to think it is.

Yes, that would be over 30 years ago, but in the last 20+ years, America has been leaning Left. It's been an ongoing trend up until today, and I do not see what point is made by bring up what the outcome was in 3 elections before the current 2 decade and counting tend started. Even if you look at the Electoral Map, Democrats start out with a huge lead as well. Republican are painting themselves into a corner.

Being anti global warming mean that a lot of Conservatives do not believe that it exist at all which may bother some nature and environmentalist minded folks.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
you are repeating the democrat talking points. LOL

1) Is not republicans bringing the gay issue to the courts and making it a national issue. The majority in the states have voted to NOT accept gay marriage including CALIFORNIA and the gay community with the backing of the media, liberal forces and Hollywood are pushing this to have the courts force it on the majority.

2) How do you secure the Hispanic vote while enforcing our immigration laws and not giving amnesty.......we are a nation of LAW and Order. If you want to sell out this country for cheap labor then lets make the 2 parties the same.

3) Obama won because he was more likeable than the other guy according to polls, had more money to run a better campaign and had the media on his side and you have a lot of white guilt in this country that didn't want the world to label the U.S. racist by voting OUT the 1st black president.

2016 is a new ball game.......the candidate who is more likeable, has the most money and runs the best campaign and the media on their side will probably win.

it has nothing to do with issues and the truth, its who can manipulate the electorate and paint his opponent as the devil with half truths and lies. That's why the spend billions of dollars. That's our politics and its sad.
It's about Republicans becoming more moderate on guns, gays, and abortion.

The abortion issue is a done deal. Roe v. Wade will not be overturned. It's a ridiculous waste of votes to continually dredge up a court decision from three decades ago.

Most young voters do not see any issues with gays marrying. That is also a generational comfort level that older people will have to get over. Gays are not going back in the closet. That is also a done deal.

As for guns, after the mass shootings of innocent people, the majority of Americans favor background checks.

How are three issues worth fighting to continually lose the center left and right moderate white votes?

The Republican Party was high jacked by a group of what? I don't know. Evangelical Christians? Deep Southerners? White people who are more socially conservative than they are fiscally conservative? It's an odd party. We know what they are against, but we don't know what they stand for. What is their platform? Family values? That's a joke. Less government spending? That's a joke, too.

They can't dare speak on issues like reforming social security or Medicare because their constituents want those entitlements.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
It's about Republicans becoming more moderate on guns, gays, and abortion.

The abortion issue is a done deal. Roe v. Wade will not be overturned. It's a ridiculous waste of votes to continually dredge up a court decision from three decades ago.

Most young voters do not see any issues with gays marrying. That is also a generational comfort level that older people will have to get over. Gays are not going back in the closet. That is also a done deal.

As for guns, after the mass shootings of innocent people, the majority of Americans favor background checks.

How are three issues worth fighting to continually lose the center left and right moderate white votes?

The Republican Party was high jacked by a group of what? I don't know. Evangelical Christians? Deep Southerners? White people who are more socially conservative than they are fiscally conservative? It's an odd party. We know what they are against, but we don't know what they stand for. What is their platform? Family values? That's a joke. Less government spending? That's a joke, too.

They can't dare speak on issues like reforming social security or Medicare because their constituents want those entitlements.
Although I disagree that background checks would have stopped any of the mass shootings or that there's any correlation with mass shootings period and I disagree that gun owners are against background checks as a whole, I agree that the Republican Party don't stand for much. The only thing they talk about and fight for has to do with what they hate about personal choices that others have made. They are no long in body the family values, less government, and less taxes persona that they once had. Their party has been hijacked and they have no problem with it.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

396 posts, read 365,006 times
spoken like a true democrat that you are and repeat the same talking points non-sense.

1) what can be more moderate than let the people of the states decide on the definition of marriage based on culture and tradition? If is not in the federal constitution then its up to the states decide and last time I look gay marriage is not in the federal constitution. California voted on this and the majority of Californians didn't want GAY MARRIAGE. It was the gay community, liberal judges and the democrats that want to force GAY MARRIAGE on the majority with the courts. Let each state decide the definition of marriage

2) on guns? what more gun laws the democrats want? that is not going to bring crime rate down. Chicago is the perfect example. Its the democrats who always exploits a tragedy to try to pass more gun control that would do nothing to bring crime rate down but they always play with the emotions of the nation after a tragedy.

3) Abortion is another issue the states can regulate and limit and the Supreme Court has ruled the states can do. For millions of Americans abortion is killing a life and doesn't want federal tax dollars for funding it and to tell them to ignore that and accept it is living in fantasy land.....its their right to believe what they believe and support. For many republicans they could care less if you have 1,000 abortions, just don't use federal funds to pay for it....how is that extreme?.....but for democrats if you are against their agenda and spending then you are extremist.

4) Of course nobody can't speak of reforming social security and medicare because the democrats will demonized anybody of the opposition while the system goes bankrupt with the status quo. Their tax the rich solution is a joke and will not solve the problem.

again if the nation is against everything the Republican party stands for explain how the got a majority in congress and have 30 governorships over 20 for the democrats for the whole nation?........if the nation rejects everything the republican stands for then the GOP would be the minority party at the local, state and federal levels.

Democrats are funny, they want the Republican Party to turn in a democrat party on their issues....LMAO!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
spoken like a true democrat that you are and repeat the same talking points non-sense.

1) what can be more moderate than let the people of the states decide on the definition of marriage based on culture and tradition? If is not in the federal constitution then its up to the states decide and last time I look gay marriage is not in the federal constitution. California voted on this and the majority of Californians didn't want GAY MARRIAGE. It was the gay community, liberal judges and the democrats that want to force GAY MARRIAGE on the majority with the courts. Let each state decide the definition of marriage

2) on guns? what more gun laws the democrats want? that is not going to bring crime rate down. Chicago is the perfect example. Its the democrats who always exploits a tragedy to try to pass more gun control that would do nothing to bring crime rate down but they always play with the emotions of the nation after a tragedy.

3) Abortion is another issue the states can regulate and limit and the Supreme Court has ruled the states can do. For millions of Americans abortion is killing a life and doesn't want federal tax dollars for funding it and to tell them to ignore that and accept it is living in fantasy land.....its their right to believe what they believe and support. For many republicans they could care less if you have 1,000 abortions, just don't use federal funds to pay for it....how is that extreme?.....but for democrats if you are against their agenda and spending then you are extremist.

4) Of course nobody can't speak of reforming social security and medicare because the democrats will demonized anybody of the opposition while the system goes bankrupt with the status quo. Their tax the rich solution is a joke and will not solve the problem.

again if the nation is against everything the Republican party stands for explain how the got a majority in congress and have 30 governorships over 20 for the democrats for the whole nation?........if the nation rejects everything the republican stands for then the GOP would be the minority party at the local, state and federal levels.

Democrats are funny, they want the Republican Party to turn in a democrat party on their issues....LMAO!!!
I'm asking that the Republican Party turn Republican. Part of being a Republican was to be for less government. That means that government should not be telling people who to marry, trying to push their religious agenda on the public, and not dictating on whether a woman can have an abortion or not. Those are all Christian social issue... Go back to the core Republican values and maybe the majority of the county will start to go back to Republican Party.

Last edited by DoniDanko; 09-08-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It's been my experience that most GOP consider themselves Christians who have little tolerance for atheist and other religions. They also come off as anti abortion, anti immigration, anti social services for the poor, anti gay marriage, anti global warming, anti gun control, anti minority, etc, etc. If they think half of America are welfare bums and then insult or put off even more people by focusing on policies which stem from their religious beliefs instead of focusing on economics, fiscal responsibility, small government, lower taxes for all (not just the rich), etc, how do they ever expect to win another election? In the last 21 years, we've had 6 elections. Republicans only won the popular vote in 1 of those (Bush 2004). Yes, G. Bush won it in 2004 but by only 3 million votes which was the smallest margin since 1978 when Jimmy Carter won the by only 1 million. Everyone hates Obama, but even he won by 9.5 and 5 million in the last 2 elections. I also do not think that Bush would have won again if not for 911.

It's honestly not looking to good for 2016 either, and that's not just my point of view. Many popular GOP blogs and news sites have hinted to the same. I think that the fall of the Republican party began when they started mixing church and state and continued to decline even father when they appear to insult the poor and middle class. They just seem like a party of elitist who just about dislikes everyone who isn't an American born, Christian God fearing, financially secure, white American. Why don't they stop focusing so much on social and religious issues and go back to their core values...
You're right in saying that the GOP has an anvil chained to their leg while trying to swim for their lives, but it has little to do with the "social issues" that the left obsesses with or anything else mentioned above.

It is the fact that they, much more so than the Democrats, are associated with and blamed for the economic decline in America resulting from the exportation of our jobs and wealth by large corporations. It is a stigma that they have earned and the main reason Romney didn't have a chance - even against a candidate as weak as Obama.

They have only to begin working for and with America's regular middle-class and working class folk instead of wall street and the corporate elite to get back on track and regain national prominence.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM

215 posts, read 297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're right in saying that the GOP has an anvil chained to their leg while trying to swim for their lives, but it has little to do with the "social issues" that the left obsesses with or anything else mentioned above.

It is the fact that they, much more so than the Democrats, are associated with and blamed for the economic decline in America resulting from the exportation of our jobs and wealth by large corporations. It is a stigma that they have earned and the main reason Romney didn't have a chance - even against a candidate as weak as Obama.

They have only to begin working for and with America's regular middle-class and working class folk instead of wall street and the corporate elite to get back on track and regain national prominence.
The right equally obsesses over those three social issues (guns, gays, abortion). It's very easy for politicians on both sides to stir up the base on those issues. Until Sarah Palin was McCain's running mate in 2008, I never heard the term "the base" in reference to Republican voters.

The Romneys of the Republican Party had to appeal to "the base," and economic issues were secondary. The liberal media did a great job of portraying Romney as Thurston Howell III.

I voted for Romney, and I am a registered Republican. I would simply like for Republicans to change tactics and support the social issues that the Democrats are obsessing over. Pull the rug out from under them. It's their only tactic for garnering any white moderate votes.

I think that poor people believe they will always be poor, and so they vote based on their ideologies and social issues, more than the economy. They don't see the economy as improving.

Anyone who believes that Bill Clinton single-handedly left a surplus, and GWB single-handedly threw the country into an economic free fall, is kidding themselves.

I edited this to add, that Republicans have been trying to warn the American people about the costs of Obamacare and how businesses will start turning jobs into 1099 contract or part time work. They have tried explaining to people how government regulations place disincentives on entrepreneurs for starting businesses.

Last edited by curly_Q; 09-08-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
The right equally obsesses over those three social issues (guns, gays, abortion). It's very easy for politicians on both sides to stir up the base on those issues. Until Sarah Palin was McCain's running mate in 2008, I never heard the term "the base" in reference to Republican voters.

The Romneys of the Republican Party has to appeal to "the base" and economic issues were secondary. The liberal media did a great job of portraying Romney as Thurston Howell III.

I voted for Romney, and I am a registered Republican. I would simply like for Republicans to change tactics and support the social issues that the Democrats are obsessing over. Pull the rug out from under them. It's their only tactic for garnering any white moderate votes.

I think that poor people believe they will always be poor, and so they vote based on their ideologies and social issues, more than the economy. They don't see the economy as improving.

Anyone who believes that Bill Clinton single-handedly left a surplus, and GWB single-handedly threw the country into an economic free fall, is kidding themselves.

I edited this to add, that Republicans have been trying to warn the American people about the costs of Obamacare and how businesses will start turning jobs into 1099 contract or part time work. They have tried explaining to people how government regulations place disincentives on entrepreneurs for starting businesses.
Their only hope is to embrace the stark-raving madness that is the "progressive" left? And then stand for what?

Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections