Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
When we have people more focused on the pressure groups than doing their jobs, we have ineffective representatives. Just look at the Repugs now. They have done NOTHING in 5 years. pathetic!
OMG, what are you talking about this time? They, referring to the GOP, have done nothing in 5 years, they have only held the house for 3 and haven't had control of the senate since the President was elected in 2008. Who has done nothing? Also may I ask what this has to do with term limits? The question is: why should their be term limits, not who has done what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
why should there be term limits?

To limit the tendency toward political corruption as much as possible. The longer they serve, the more corrupt. Along with losing touch with what the people they represent truly desire.
Like I said, corruption starts as soon as they show up to take office. Time served means nothing. The freshmen become just as corrupt as the seniors in no time.

If it was otherwise, why would the freshmen get so much lobbyist attention so soon? Do you think the lobbyists wait around for a few terms before they make a pitch?
Not so, Arjay. Not at all.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the people also have the choice to vote out the president if they want, which is why i dont understand term limits.

term limits means the public is too stupid to realize they need to vote out somebody, so its like they put on training wheels for us so we could be prevented from our own stupidity.

gimmie washington/lincoln/eisenhower/kennedy 3-5 terms over some of the presidents we've had.
We know the public is "too stupid" based on the last Presidential election.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,668 times
People have rights to vote and choose the president of their choice. seniority is must to the person who run the whole country

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
We know the public is "too stupid" based on the last Presidential election.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I can't believe that Romney got a single vote!

Amazing how stupid the public can be.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Like I said, corruption starts as soon as they show up to take office. Time served means nothing. The freshmen become just as corrupt as the seniors in no time.

If it was otherwise, why would the freshmen get so much lobbyist attention so soon? Do you think the lobbyists wait around for a few terms before they make a pitch?
Not so, Arjay. Not at all.
I think that if the congress critters even start by being non corrupt that the longer they continue in their position the more apt they are to succumb to the offers of lobbyists and the probably of increasing their personal wealth/power instead of concentrating on doing the jobs they were elected to do.

There is a learning curve to corruption in most cases. Hopefully.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There are term limits for the President. It's the House and Senate tripping over themselves to kiss lobbyist butt who need them.
I want to add to my original post. I'd be willing to forego every other year Representative elections if we could have term limits for the House and Senate. I don't think Representative should be constantly in campaign mode.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want to add to my original post. I'd be willing to forego every other year Representative elections if we could have term limits for the House and Senate. I don't think Representative should be constantly in campaign mode.
I agree. House member spend far too much time campaigning. They should probably get a 3 or 4 year term and be term limited to 2 or 3 terms.

Senators should already be getting no more than 2 terms as it stands now. 12 years in the senate is plenty, and a case can be made that even THAT is too long.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I agree. House member spend far too much time campaigning. They should probably get a 3 or 4 year term and be term limited to 2 or 3 terms.

Senators should already be getting no more than 2 terms as it stands now. 12 years in the senate is plenty, and a case can be made that even THAT is too long.
I agree they have to spend too much time campaigning, but I would be happy with 3 terms for senate and 4, 4 year terms for the hours of reps.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I think there's a lot of good and bad in a term limit. The good is it allows variety (not that having two parties fighting for power really qualifies as variety) and the bad is it can keep good presidents away. I think there shouldn't be a limit, but an expiration. Let me explain: Let's pretend it's 2008 and Obama wins. Four years later, he runs again with the automatic nomination from the Democratic party. Another 4 years, he runs again, but this time, he does not get the nomination. He has to actually campaign against his own party to get the nomination. This means that it's possible for a president to be president for longer times, but it isn't just a free ride and gives other members of the party a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections