Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times

Advertisements

Who said Al Gore??? I have a better chance than Algore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This still means absolutely nothing. I think you are smart enough to know that. You can't get an accurate poll, by having several choices. and you can't begin to predict something like this when no one has even entered the race or given much indication if they are going to. Plus most of these polls are a sample of very few and may or may not be taken country wide. And I don't care which poll it is. I am betting right now, if it were Paul Ryan and Hillary she would do better than a tie, but if it were, say, Rand Paul she would not fair as well. Remember it has to do with name recognition, as much as anything. I don't think anyone in his/her right mind really believes any candidate is going to win by 20% or the popular vote.
Of course no candidate is going to win by 20% of the popular vote - did I ever say they WOULD.
The claim that it means "absolutely nothing" however is nonsense. It means a great deal - it shows what the country is thinking/feeling TODAY.
Is TODAY the election?
Of course not - it's just a starting point - but it IS a starting point and I'm sure ANY politician would rather be starting out +20 in such a poll than -20 in such a poll.
It is what it is - a snapshot of public attitudes TODAY.

Ken

Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Of course no candidate is going to win by 20% of the popular vote - did I ever say they WOULD.
The claim that it means "absolutely nothing" however is nonsense. It means a great deal - it shows what the country is thinking/feeling TODAY.
Is TODAY the election?
Of course not - it's just a starting point - but it IS a starting point and I'm sure ANY politician would rather be starting out +20 in such a poll than -20 in such a poll.
It is what it is - a snapshot of public attitudes TODAY.

Ken
no, you didn't say 20% but you did keep saying this shows a landslide. That was my point; You also need to remember, everyone is saying Hillary or polling before she has even declared. How she handles her campaign could change many minds. The 20 point lead has more to do with name recognition than anything else. and yes, anyone would rather start with a 20 point lead, no one would argue that. I just don't think, in reality, she really has a 20 point lead. Remember, pollsters now are asking the question, based on what ifs. What ifs are not what will count 2 or 3 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections