Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

I too would not like to see a 12 year old take a pregnancy to term even if she had sex because she wanted to. the trouble with allowing abortions for "this" but not "that" is it becomes subjective. who gets to be the one to judge? what is a good answer for convenience? is going to school and getting in the way of an education "convenience"? it's subjective. what if a woman thinks she is too poor to have a child, or is already taking care of as many children she thinks she can care for? this is why it should be up to the woman who is pregnant to pick for herself the choice she makes, for her life and her values.

as for adoption I think many women do not want to take the pregnancy to term, labor and deliver a child so adoption isn't a choice for them. other women I think find it easier to abort than to give birth to a child and give it up for adoption. adoption isn't for everyone it takes a special woman to be able to let their child go. I know several who have and they spent a life time wondering if they did the right thing and if their baby was well loved and taken care of. in one case it was not. this is why the choice should be left up to the woman who is pregnant and no one else.

like you and most people I have my own feelings about when abortion is ok and when it isn't. I am in favor of the laws and restrictions we have now. at 20 weeks I think the only way to get a legit abortion is if the mother has or the baby has serious medical issues. it takes 2 doctors to sign off on it in the small number of states that do late term abortions. I feel terrible for any woman who has to face the thought of a late term abortion as these are wanted children. it is not my call to make.

I would never call any woman who has an abortion a murderer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I too would not like to see a 12 year old take a pregnancy to term even if she had sex because she wanted to. the trouble with allowing abortions for "this" but not "that" is it becomes subjective. who gets to be the one to judge? what is a good answer for convenience? is going to school and getting in the way of an education "convenience"? it's subjective. what if a woman thinks she is too poor to have a child, or is already taking care of as many children she thinks she can care for? this is why it should be up to the woman who is pregnant to pick for herself the choice she makes, for her life and her values.

as for adoption I think many women do not want to take the pregnancy to term, labor and deliver a child so adoption isn't a choice for them. other women I think find it easier to abort than to give birth to a child and give it up for adoption. adoption isn't for everyone it takes a special woman to be able to let their child go. I know several who have and they spent a life time wondering if they did the right thing and if their baby was well loved and taken care of. in one case it was not. this is why the choice should be left up to the woman who is pregnant and no one else.

like you and most people I have my own feelings about when abortion is ok and when it isn't. I am in favor of the laws and restrictions we have now. at 20 weeks I think the only way to get a legit abortion is if the mother has or the baby has serious medical issues. it takes 2 doctors to sign off on it in the small number of states that do late term abortions. I feel terrible for any woman who has to face the thought of a late term abortion as these are wanted children. it is not my call to make.

I would never call any woman who has an abortion a murderer.
I am sorry, I can't not, in a million years begin to understand your thinking: it is ok to take a life of a baby because that selfish women didn't use birth control but doesn't want to carry the baby and give it up: how selfish is that? I am in a total shock anyone would even think that way!!!! And please don't tell me, women sometimes get pregnant while using birth control...I wasn't born yesterday...Oh sure, there are very rare cases of failure, only abstaining altogether prevents any chance of getting pregnant, and we are not living in the 19th century.

As for making the call being subjective: are you aware of the law Reagan signed regarding abortion while he was governor. Maybe you should do some research, it wasn't subjective, it was clearly spelled out.

Let me also point out, very few abortions are the result of a poor women who can not afford to have another child. Most of those women choose to have their babies. Most abortions are college girls or young professional women. Again, I am not going so far as to say, never is the abortion choice made by those with no funds, but it is extremely rare!!! People who support abortion will come up with any excuse to justify it: you obviously are one of them. So, we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sorry, I can't not, in a million years begin to understand your thinking: it is ok to take a life of a baby because that selfish women didn't use birth control but doesn't want to carry the baby and give it up: how selfish is that? I am in a total shock anyone would even think that way!!!! And please don't tell me, women sometimes get pregnant while using birth control...I wasn't born yesterday...Oh sure, there are very rare cases of failure, only abstaining altogether prevents any chance of getting pregnant, and we are not living in the 19th century.

As for making the call being subjective: are you aware of the law Reagan signed regarding abortion while he was governor. Maybe you should do some research, it wasn't subjective, it was clearly spelled out.

Let me also point out, very few abortions are the result of a poor women who can not afford to have another child. Most of those women choose to have their babies. Most abortions are college girls or young professional women. Again, I am not going so far as to say, never is the abortion choice made by those with no funds, but it is extremely rare!!! People who support abortion will come up with any excuse to justify it: you obviously are one of them. So, we will have to agree to disagree on this.
I never said it was "ok" I stated what I think could be their reasoning. a woman having an abortion is on her, her life her values. not my life and not my values should dictate to any woman she should carry to term, labor and deliver a baby she doesn't want.

the reasons women have for abortions and if they are "justified" are subjective. your emotions are hindering your ability to understand my posts.

again, not your body, not your choice. why do you think your values be put on a woman you don't know? "selfish" is subjective.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I am sorry, I can't not, in a million years begin to understand your thinking:
it is ok to take a life of a baby...
Fix your thinking. You can start right there with that "baby" stuff.
The rest isn't really all that hard either.

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once the diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds even if/when available HI might pay something)

The right to make a choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
(which has been the strategy they have been attempting to implement since Hyde)

Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Bingo, the anti-choice crowd always likes to try and spin themselves positively and label themselves as pro-life. I always wonder how many pro-life people also support things like the death penalty.
An awful lot, I'll bet. Remember, Texas conducts the most executions of any state.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
first of all, many abortions are performed after 12 weeks (not 3 months btw) and even if it is in the first trimester, that baby has all its organs, its heart is beating and it is very much a baby. No, it can not survive without the support of its mother, but you must think it is a baby as well or you would not have said; without it's mother...BTW, I am on the fence when it comes to first trimester abortions, but I am still pointing out the hypocrisy of pro abortion but anti capital murder and again stress this works both ways. Why can't you must admit it?
I didn't say abortions don't happen after 12 weeks, I said most happen before that and typically the ones that happen after 12 weeks are for medical reasons. Who wants to carry a fetus for 20 weeks or so just to abort it.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I didn't say abortions don't happen after 12 weeks I said most happen before that

and typically the ones that happen after 12 weeks are for medical reasons.
and/or because of how difficult it was made for them to deal with it all far sooner.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
and as I have already stared: we will just have to disagree on this one. I will always have a problem with abortion except in rare situations. this does not mean I would turn my back on a friend or relative that decided to abort, but I would still think they were 100% wrong unless there was a very good reason.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I will always have a problem with abortion...
Fine. You're allowed to.
No one will attempt to tell you that you're wrong for feeling that way.
And no one will interfere with your right to have or exercise that choice in the matter.

Get it?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Turns out that Wendy Davis was 'for' the ban before she was 'against' it. She is in favor of the 20 Week abortion ban that she famously filibustered in her pink tennis shoes as long as the ban defers to the choice of the woman and her doctor. That's like saying that I'm in favor of a 65 mile per hour speed limit unless my car and I decide we want to drive 75 miles per hour.

Wendy Davis backs 20-week abortion ban that defers to women - Dallas Morning News

I'm guessing things are continuing to go downhill for Ms Wendy - she does more flip flopping that Kerry and Obama do. She is not gaining any Republicans or Conservatives with her revolving stories, but a lot of Democrats and Leftists are getting peeved about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections