Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am still trying to figure out the appeal of Huntsman to lefties. Supposedly he had a pretty conservative record as Utah Gov. Pro-gun, anti-tax, pro-life, etc. The only real negative thing I ever saw about him was that he jettisoned support for school vouchers under pressure from the teachers' union. What is the appeal?
He believes wholeheartedly in science and is not afraid to admit it. The Republicans in the last election could not say they believed in evolution, so they were either pandering to the religious right, or simply do not believe in science, in which case I would question their intellectual intelligence and ability to separate state and religion. I would vote for a moderate Republican, but never for one who does not believe in evolution.

Jon Huntsman, the lone voice of scientific sanity in the US Republican Presidential race – Telegraph Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I would/would have voted for Joe Leiberman no matter what party he was in. I just like the guys ideas. I'm registered as an Independent and I vote for the person not the party.
you don't really fit into this discussion though: it is about crossing over, not how, as an I you would vote. BTW, I would have been tempted to vote for him as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He believes wholeheartedly in science and is not afraid to admit it. The Republicans in the last election could not say they believed in evolution, so they were either pandering to the religious right, or simply do not believe in science, in which case I would question their intellectual intelligence and ability to separate state and religion. I would vote for a moderate Republican, but never for one who does not believe in evolution.

Jon Huntsman, the lone voice of scientific sanity in the US Republican Presidential race – Telegraph Blogs
well you did give a reason, I will give you credit for that, but I am not quite sure what you are getting at: Do you think God is not for real, making you an atheist or are you saying he is one? Do you really think, a Republican can not believe in evolution? Has it occurred to you, some of us believe in both, creativity and evolution? Are you also saying, one issue can make a difference on how you vote? I am really confused on what you are saying. Not all conservatives are religious extremists and as for church and state, I happen to feel our forefathers were simply saying, we have the right to practice any religion we choose and not to be forced to practice just one. They were not saying a person can not share their views with other, whether that person is an elected office holder or just a neighbor. The important thing is: they do not let their religion influence how our country is run. This doesn't even mean you can not have a prayer in school: it means, no one should be forced to take part. Liberals use church versus state as a crutch.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well you did give a reason, I will give you credit for that, but I am not quite sure what you are getting at: Do you think God is not for real, making you an atheist or are you saying he is one? Do you really think, a Republican can not believe in evolution? Has it occurred to you, some of us believe in both, creativity and evolution? Are you also saying, one issue can make a difference on how you vote? I am really confused on what you are saying.
I am not sure why you are confused. No, I do not believe a Republican cannot believe in evolution. But during the last election, Republicans were asked if they believe in evolution and Huntsman was the only one who came right out with a definite yes. The others hedged their bets with religion. So it is not they cannot believe in it--it is that they do not believe in it or at least will not say that for fear of upsetting the base. No, I don't vote on one issue, but if the candidate is going to govern by the Bible, which I consider a book of mythology, I have no confidence in their critical thinking abilities. I believe the universe and human beings evolved through scientific events, and I do not believe that 'a god' created any of this because I do not believe in magic, and no theology has ever presented any evidence that a god created anything. I tend to believe more in Buddhism as a philosophy than any strict religion. Of course I vote for people of any religion, but only if they separate church and state, that is not a "crutch," it is a belief. We obviously interpret "the separation of church and state" as meaning different things.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I am not sure why you are confused. No, I do not believe a Republican cannot believe in evolution. But during the last election, Republicans were asked if they believe in evolution and Huntsman was the only one who came right out with a definite yes. The others hedged their bets with religion. So it is not they cannot believe in it--it is that they do not believe in it or at least will not say that for fear of upsetting the base. No, I don't vote on one issue, but if the candidate is going to govern by the Bible, which I consider a book of mythology, I have no confidence in their critical thinking abilities. I believe the universe and human beings evolved through scientific events, and I do not believe that 'a god' created any of this because I do not believe in magic, and no theology has ever presented any evidence that a god created anything. I tend to believe more in Buddhism as a philosophy than any strict religion. Of course I vote for people of any religion, but only if they separate church and state, that is not a "crutch," it is a belief. We obviously interpret "the separation of church and state" as meaning different things.
I do not think many politicians would govern based on his/her religious views. Even if he/she was inclined to, there are 3 branches of government, and for good reason.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've read your posts in other threads in addition to this one.

You'd vote for Huntsman right up until the day he declared he was running. Then you'd find a reason (you don't like his position on gun control because you're afraid you'll be shot {that is an incredibly idiotic statement, by the way}, or you don't like his position on something else or you don't like his tie) to not do so.

As I said, just be honest and admit you wouldn't vote for any Republican instead of trying to rationalize why you wouldn't.

The bold would indeed be an idiotic statement if i had said it, but since i didnt what is the point of you claiming I did other then perpetrating a lie ?

so again, back your claims up.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
I can barely hold my nose long enough to vote for Democrats, there's no way in hell I could vote for a Republican.

Has there been a Republican candidate the last 40 years that has cared about workers in this country? Has there every been a Republican candidate to stand up for all full time workers to get vacation time(something every worker in every industrialized country in the world has)? Has there every been a Republican candidate that supported overtime laws? Has there been a Republican candidate since Reagan that didn't believe in trickle-down economics BS?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do not think many politicians would govern based on his/her religious views. Even if he/she was inclined to, there are 3 branches of government, and for good reason.
Umm WHAT?? THE VAST MAJORITY of your party wants to govern based on their religious views.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The bold would indeed be an idiotic statement if i had said it, but since i didnt what is the point of you claiming I did other then perpetrating a lie ?

so again, back your claims up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I can answer your question............................

Also Democrats are not anti-gun or Pro-tax ,we just believe that you should have the right to live your life without fear of being shot. And for taxes, we simply believe in spending responsibly. You can not cut taxes, spend more and assume more revenue will be created ,because when that happens, you get 8 years of deficits instead of 8 years of surpluses.

from 2002 to 2009( THE Bush Budgets), Revenue only met expectations 2 times.

simple not acting like an @.$.$. goes along way. Im just giving you an honest opinion.

You really didn't remember posting that?

I'm not even going to respond to your "Democrats spend responsibly" nonsense.

Look, I don't give a rat's ass why, or why not, you vote for someone. Just don't lie and say you would except for ____________________. No one believes you (although I do honestly believe that you believe it and are internally relieved when you find a reason to not do so. As I mentioned earlier, you didn't like his tie so you couldn't support him is ok. Shallow, but ok. Just stop pretending.).

Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Umm WHAT?? THE VAST MAJORITY of your party wants to govern based on their religious views.
You have your ideas on this: I have mine: just look at the Republicans in office now, do you think the majority are so stuck on religion they are voting based on their personal religious views? yes, there are extremist in every party, but I do not think they vote based on religion totally or even partly; at least not most of their voting. A person can be opposed to something personally, but not let that interfere with their vote. Look at Bush, as an example: he had every opportunity to attempt to overturn Roe versus Wade, including a conservative supreme court, but did he make any attempt to do so? Nope!!! How many have you seen attempting to return to prohibition days because they do not believe in alcohol? Many Republicans (too many) are opposed to gay marriage, but not strictly based on religion. The only true religious issue that seems to be based on religion happens to be abortion. And there are only a handful of states that want changes, even most of them, do not want to see it outlawed, they just want some limits put on when and how it should be handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections