U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 AM
 
3,624 posts, read 2,712,685 times
Reputation: 1497

Advertisements

Long, but good read.

How the GOP became the “White Man’s Party” - Salon.com

 
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Vermont
9,586 posts, read 9,520,689 times
Reputation: 11741
I thought this was very interesting. It makes me want to read the book.

What I didn't know that I learned from this article is how far before the Civil rights Act it went. Very important lesson in history and how we got where we are today.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM
 
12,164 posts, read 6,024,395 times
Reputation: 7131
Salon is a left-wing rag, and I couldn't get the link to work.

Nonetheless, I think both the GOP and the modern day left is responsible for the predominance of white men in the Republican Party.

The Democrat Party has essentially walked away from whites, particularly males, in that it embraces identity politics. The way the left wins elections is by using wedge issues. These wedge issues typically pit whatever minority group the Democrats are courting against "the bad guy," which is implicitly or explicitly white, conservative males.

The GOP has merely refused to play identity politics to the same extent as the Democrats, which makes it a more attractive party to us white men, who the Democrats view as the enemy to the special interest groups that make up their coalition.

It really is too bad that the Democrats have splintered the country along racial lines like they have, but their core constituencies demand the wedge issues, and so it goes. The truth is the the GOP has allegiance to principles and not demographic characteristics. As long as the various special interest groups continue to insist that their elected officials vote based on their niche identity issues, then the GOP isn't going to be attractive to the special interest voters.

In other words, the special interests that make up the Democrat Party require politicians to pander to their narrow interests. Once the GOP decides to do that, and it may in time, then it truly will be no different from the Democrat Party.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM
 
10,326 posts, read 5,858,567 times
Reputation: 4888
Has Salon.com become the idiot's daily source of BS?

Yes, apparently it has.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,828 posts, read 12,846,731 times
Reputation: 4364
It's also the white women's party. (Romney won 55% of white women.)
 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: DFW
2,246 posts, read 2,531,125 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's also the white women's party. (Romney won 55% of white women.)
Don't waste your time commenting on a liberals thread; these people need help.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 PM
 
34,808 posts, read 16,037,560 times
Reputation: 10551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Salon.com ->>> Liberal Lies

Really? I am a white woman and feel Republicans stand way more for my rights and beliefs than Democrats. I certainly don't want to be looked at, pandered to and treated as if I am some weak minded who needs government to survive. If there is anyone that has a war on women it is Democrats. I couldn't believe Democrats actually sold that BS. Me and my friends laughed at it.

By the way, I used to be Independent, maybe center right, Obama and democrats pushed me further right.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM
 
4,110 posts, read 1,390,581 times
Reputation: 1795
Whether Republicans agree with the rhetoric in this book is immaterial. It remains a fact that the Republican Party rode to power in 1968 and won 5 of the next 6 elections by appealing to Southern whites, and an overall white backlash to LBJ's Great Society in general and the civil rights acts in particular. By winning the southern white vote, the GOP became the dominant party, but the party of Lincoln became the party of Strom Thurmond.

In the final analysis, did the Republican Party win and transform the South, or did the South win and transform the Republican Party from a big tent moderate/conservative based party that flourished everywhere but the Deep South, into a party that has become so rigidly conservative that it has virtually disappeared in more moderate parts of the country that it used to dominate or at least was competitive in presidential elections?

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-23-2013 at 05:20 PM..
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM
 
12,164 posts, read 6,024,395 times
Reputation: 7131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Whether Republicans agree with the rhetoric in this book is immaterial. It remains a fact that the Republican Party rode to power in 1968 and won 5 of the next 6 elections by appealing to Southern whites, and an overall white backlash to LBJ's Great Society in general and the civil rights acts in particular. By winning the southern white vote, the GOP became the dominant party, but the party of Lincoln became the party of Strom Thurmond.

In the final analysis, did the Republican Party win and transform the South, or did the South win and transform the Republican Party from a big tent moderate/conservative based party that flourished everywhere but the Deep South, into a party that has become so rigidly conservative that it has virtually disappeared in more moderate parts of the country that it used to dominate?
Considering the GOP holds governorship in 30 states, including places like New Jersey, Wisconsin, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Mexico and Maine, I'd say your analysis is severely lacking, to put it mildly.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 PM
 
313 posts, read 327,986 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Salon.com ->>> Liberal Lies

Really? I am a white woman and feel Republicans stand way more for my rights and beliefs than Democrats. I certainly don't want to be looked at, pandered to and treated as if I am some weak minded who needs government to survive. If there is anyone that has a war on women it is Democrats. I couldn't believe Democrats actually sold that BS. Me and my friends laughed at it.

By the way, I used to be Independent, maybe center right, Obama and democrats pushed me further right.
Congrats, you're in the minority. Most women don't feel the same way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top