U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,347,616 times

Advertisements

Can we tae that as a message that the citizenry wants a divided government? That they no longer want change? What would be your take?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

10,716 posts, read 4,467,107 times
The VP gets a lot of attention. He will be in the Senate whenever there is a vote taken.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,271,325 times
I think that means that the voters are not embracing the Democrats, but they are not embracing the GOP either. It still means that the Democrats control the Senate on account that VP Biden is a Democrat and he will be the one casting the tiebreaker. I still think, because of redistricting, the structure of the House and Senate are not going to change. I don't see the GOP gaining control of the Senate this year

Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM

19,071 posts, read 15,548,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think that means that the voters are not embracing the Democrats, but they are not embracing the GOP either. It still means that the Democrats control the Senate on account that VP Biden is a Democrat and he will be the one casting the tiebreaker. I still think, because of redistricting, the structure of the House and Senate are not going to change. I don't see the GOP gaining control of the Senate this year

Redistricting only impacts the House, not the Senate. With that being said I don't see the GOP gaining the Senate. The Democrats do have more seats to defend and there are more competive Dem held seats. While the GOP liekly picks up seats, it will likely need to be a 2010 type wave for the GOP to pick up the Senate and there is no indication at this point that will happen.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,100,677 times
it depends on who the gop nominates. if they nominate guys like the one in florida who wants to execute obama, then it'll be the same as the last go around

Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,346,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Redistricting only impacts the House, not the Senate. With that being said I don't see the GOP gaining the Senate. The Democrats do have more seats to defend and there are more competive Dem held seats. While the GOP liekly picks up seats, it will likely need to be a 2010 type wave for the GOP to pick up the Senate and there is no indication at this point that will happen.
There is every indication it will happen. The President's popularity is mired in the high 30s and early 40s and the map favors the GOP.

Recent polling in places like deep blue Michigan, Minnesota, and Oregon indicates that those seats are in play.

But if it makes you feel better to believe the fantasy that there's no chance the Senate goes Republican, go ahead!

I can tell you six seats the Republicans win sitting here today, assuming no major changes between now and November: West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisisana, Alaska, North Carolina and South Dakota.

If you don't believe me, maybe this will help you understand:

Obama's Job Approval Points to 2014 Trouble for Democrats | RealClearPolitics

Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,334,196 times
I'm not sure how much difference it will make who controls the Senate until 2016. You generally need 60 votes anyway, Anything the Senate does, also has to get though the House, which will almost certainly be R-controlled after 2014. And anything that gets through both, has to be signed by Pres. Obama. We'll have essentially a Mexican standoff until Jan, 2017. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,216,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
There is every indication it will happen. The President's popularity is mired in the high 30s and early 40s and the map favors the GOP.

Recent polling in places like deep blue Michigan, Minnesota, and Oregon indicates that those seats are in play.

But if it makes you feel better to believe the fantasy that there's no chance the Senate goes Republican, go ahead!

I can tell you six seats the Republicans win sitting here today, assuming no major changes between now and November: West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisisana, Alaska, North Carolina and South Dakota.

If you don't believe me, maybe this will help you understand:

Obama's Job Approval Points to 2014 Trouble for Democrats | RealClearPolitics
I don't believe you about North Carolina. For several reasons.

1. Obama's job approval has been on the upswing for the past few weeks. It is unlikely that will change.
2. Kay Hagan has made a lot of friends while as a Senator, such that she already has NAR going to bat for her. Expect more of that when it gets closer to election day.
3. The GOP is going to get nailed again when the legislative session starts up again. They are going to have a hard time controlling their back benchers since the entire legislature is relatively inexperienced and moral monday's is going to hit them hard in the summer and fall, because of it.

The GOP just didn't recruit well for the race, they will lose.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,368,456 times
Biden will have something to do besides washing his Trans-Am on the White House lawn.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,271,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know how Senate elections are at-large and not district. Excuse the lack of punctuation for that error.

Anyway, I agree. I think nothing is going to change, again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or