Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 05:00 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Thanks for that interesting link.
The question of Cruz' citizenship is indeed a complicated one, especially if he is also a qualified Cuban citizen.
i just looked it up. cruz was/is eligible for cuban citizenship but would need to have applied ( which seems highly unlikely to have happened.... or will happen ).

Quote:
In practical terms, I don't think Cruz will be the Republican nominee in 2016 or in 2020.
agreed. i do think he will be in the primary and expect one of the existing birthers ( my money is on larry klayman ) to file a challenge to his eligibility. if the court does support cruz's eligibility ( which i imagine they will ) then i seriously doubt there will be "cruz birthers" among the democrats in any significant numbers.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i just looked it up. cruz was/is eligible for cuban citizenship but would need to have applied ( which seems highly unlikely to have happened.... or will happen ).

agreed. i do think he will be in the primary and expect one of the existing birthers ( my money is on larry klayman ) to file a challenge to his eligibility. if the court does support cruz's eligibility ( which i imagine they will ) then i seriously doubt there will be "cruz birthers" among the democrats in any significant numbers.
Senate Republicans led by McConnell were given a mandate in November; Get off your butts and get some work done.

By 2016, Cruz may be nothing but an isolated extremist, locked out of all the doors that lead to power. Now that he has command, McConnell is the guy who will lock him out.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think they probably will. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a far-left liberal, and mentioned that I was leaning towards Ted Cruz 2016. "You know that he's a Canadian," came the response, followed by a litany of reasons why Cruz could not run for POTUS.

According to the left-leaning Politifact:
Is Ted Cruz, born in Canada, eligible to run for president? | PolitiFact

Will that stop the left from going full-birther in 2016? I doubt it. If Cruz does run, which I hope he does, it's going to make the birtherism of WND, Trump, etc look like a play toy. We're going to get birtherism from NBC, ABC, CBS, and the NYT. We're going to get birtherism espoused by the Katie Courics, the Charlie Gibsons, and the elite of the elites.
What I think will happen is that the doubt of his eligibility will impact his ability to raise money.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It will be right wing republican who go full birther on Cruz. The Democrats would love to see him nominated.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:25 AM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It will be right wing republican who go full birther on Cruz.
birther report is resurrecting the herb titus "natural law" theory of "natural born citizen". cruz would not meet the requirement under this definition.

Take Note Media: Record Set Straight On Who Is Eligible To Be President Under Article II - BirtherReport.com

Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Democrats are going to have a tough enough time covering for Hippo butt to worry about Cruz.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:52 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Democrats are going to have a tough enough time covering for Hippo butt to worry about Cruz.
Hippo butt. Ah, yes, infantile name calling--the refuge of small minds.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Thanks for that interesting link.
The question of Cruz' citizenship is indeed a complicated one, especially if he is also a qualified Cuban citizen. The U.S. does not currently recognize Cuba, so that throws another knot into his tangled citizenship.

In practical terms, I don't think Cruz will be the Republican nominee in 2016 or in 2020. It's always possible, but as long as big money is so involved in our election process, it's doubtful Cruz will ever be the guy.

You guys quit trying to make Ted prove you wrong.
I need him right where he is, fighting for my state of Texas, on the Hill.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It will be right wing republican who go full birther on Cruz. The Democrats would love to see him nominated.
I agree.

I have many, many issues with cruz, his birthplace doesn't even make the top 100.

And I think his it would be pretty easy to make him look non-presidential to that vast horde of voters in the middle.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What I think will happen is that the doubt of his eligibility will impact his ability to raise money.

He didn't need money to get to where he is, beating the chosen Big Money backed David Dewhurst.
All he needs is a message and someone to argue with. The guy is brilliant, when it comes to arguing a point.

Now leave him alone. He is fine right where he is. I cannot afford to lose him as my Senator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections