Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,528,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I always respect your opinions, nmnita, and I agree with you to an extent here.

On the surface, the mainstream media definitely does appear to favor the left. Especially during elections. It's important to make the distinction, though, that that's during the election, because I'd say the media is quite critical of our President now that he's in his second term.

But I think the reason that the the media favors the left during elections is because that's the side that tends to hold more inclusive, less offensive positions, and part of the medias job is to appeal to as many people as possible and across as many demographics as possible (that's how they make their money). The "best" candidates that the Republicans have put forth all have had very divisive opinions; and when the candidate himself didn't (McCain, Romeny), his running mate did (Palin, Ryan). Like it or not, this country is moving in the direction of becoming more socially liberal and accepting, so anyone who chooses to go against that is going to be scrutinized and lambasted. Hence why I continue to pray for the day that the GOP focuses on economics and our country's finances and disowns the religious right and extremists currently hijacking the Republican name.

As for attacks from the left, yeah it happens. But it definitely happens from the right on the left, too. I mean, "birther" is only a word because of Obama's campaign for president.
you are right about the word birther. I bet it will never appear in the dictionary. I will say, I might have been living in a shell in 2007 or 08, but I don't remember the birther issue being that big during the campaign, I remember it in full force after the fact. I remember a little talk, but not that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,586,904 times
Republicans fail to find good candidates because they are effectively split in two.

Had Romney run as Romney, he may have beaten Obama. The stuff he got hammered on was the stuff he adopted to seem more conservative.

Yet Tea Party conservatives say the key to winning is to run an ultra conservative. The problem with that is they simply wouldn't have the votes. Their only hope is to run an old fashioned Romney Republican and LET THEM RUN AS THAT. The pandering to the far right is what kills them every time. It makes the Tea Partiers lose respect for the candidate, and lets them label all independents or "RINOS" as wishy-washy, and convinces them that they need to get more conservative. And it makes the liberal republicans leave the party. Lose-lose.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,586,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Spare me the theatrics. It is a fact that academia is far more liberal than the rest of the country. Academia politicized itself a long time ago.

I really don't know what you mean by "you're losing mainstream support." I'm not running for anything and I don't work for any political party. If people are stupid enough to vote for one particular side because of a false and silly perception that the opposition is uncool (anti-academia in your case), then that person is too clueless and stupid to convince anyway. Best to move on.
The problem is far-right people don't question WHY academia is so liberal. It's because of this paranoia that prevents conservatives from supporting colleges or holding positions. The far right has essentially vacated the field by embracing an anti-intellectual stance. By making everyone doubt any kind of information handed down by an authority they've undermined everyone's credibility, including their own.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM

VM1138: did you pay any attention to what was being said this past weekend? Obviously not!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,941,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
The problem is far-right people don't question WHY academia is so liberal. It's because of this paranoia that prevents conservatives from supporting colleges or holding positions. The far right has essentially vacated the field by embracing an anti-intellectual stance. By making everyone doubt any kind of information handed down by an authority they've undermined everyone's credibility, including their own.
We know why they're liberal - they want bigger government so their salaries continue to go up and they keep getting government grants to do "research."

That's not paranoia, that's a fact. Conservatives don't view government subsidies as a way of life. Liberals don't mind it, and academia is filled with people who have spent their entire lives in college because they can't hack it in the real world.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,547,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Why?

I mean really Michelle Bachmann, Romney,Perry, Rand, and all those other idiots.

LOL!

I don't think we could persuade Bill Clinton to run as a Republican to suit your taste.

At least this time around, there isn't a RINO anywhere near the front runner, like the last two cycles.
We may make the media actually place a Conservative Constitutionalist, on the ticket. To see if it plays out in Hilarys favor.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,189,452 times
If the GOP would come up off their increasingly irrelevant social conservative policies, stop cosigning/pushing for racism/misogyny, and actually make good on their completely fabricated legacy of fiscal conservatism, they would actually gain traction. Repackaging the same horseshyt won't do anything but insult people's intelligence. GOP is dumber than it thinks, and consequently so is their perception of millenials.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
If the GOP would come up off their increasingly irrelevant social conservative policies, stop cosigning/pushing for racism/misogyny, and actually make good on their completely fabricated legacy of fiscal conservatism, they would actually gain traction. Repackaging the same horseshyt won't do anything but insult people's intelligence. GOP is dumber than it thinks, and consequently so is their perception of millenials.
why does the word race or racism come into every discussion when a liberal is talking. sounds to me we know who the racist really are. As for the rest of your response, it the GOP followed your advise, they would be considered liberal Democrats; why not just have one party then, ran the way you think it should be run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections