Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We will know Paul's intentions next year. He still has over 18 months to leave the Senate, and that's more than enough time to hold a special election or a Gubernatorial appointment to replace him.

Personally, I don't think he'll run for Prez. He's still a freshman senator, and I think he's more likely to be properly cautious and seek another term first, then make a run in 2020 after he knows if the winds have shifted in his favor.

But anything is possible at this point. I'm sure he is not the only Senator pondering 2016.
He is a first term senator but he sure has made a lot of noise and maybe this would be a better time when his ideas are fresh. Who knows? I do agree, there is time. I do not expect anyone to make a serious announcement til after the 2014 elections. The part about waiting til 2020 is: we are a nation that genally elects a Pres for 2 terms. So we might be looking at 2024. Maybe he would be a good VP candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post

Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman both ran for VP and the Senate in the same years.

On the other hand, Senator Thayer believes Paul can run for both offices without a law change.

Rand Paul 2016

No one runs for VP. They get picked at the last minute.
I see Ted Cruz, picking Rand at the last minute, to make the Progressives heads roll. Locking in 16 years of Constitutionalist leadership.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Personally, I don't think he'll run for Prez. He's still a freshman senator,

That didn't stop you from latching onto the biggest failure as a President of the USA, since Jimmy Carter.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No one runs for VP. They get picked at the last minute.
I see Ted Cruz, picking Rand at the last minute, to make the Progressives heads roll. Locking in 16 years of Constitutionalist leadership.
If Ted is nominated, the Democrats win by 10 or more points.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If Ted is nominated, the Democrats win by 10 or more points.

Yep!

Reggie

Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't think he'll run for Prez. He's still a freshman senator, and I think he's more likely to be properly cautious and seek another term first, then make a run in 2020 after he knows if the winds have shifted in his favor.
I don't think he'll run either, but mostly because he doesn't appeal to me, an aging baby-boomer. However, both my older voting kids love the guy and would vote for him. My 25 yr old son and his buddies loved his father and they love Rand Paul too. It is an interesting generational difference.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't think he'll run either, but mostly because he doesn't appeal to me, an aging baby-boomer. However, both my older voting kids love the guy and would vote for him. My 25 yr old son and his buddies loved his father and they love Rand Paul too. It is an interesting generational difference.
I was watching Huck last night and he had 3 young people from College Republican groups. One guy actually mentioned the importance of more Republicans visiting the college campuses, especially Rand Paul. He feels Paul has the answers many young people are interested in. He say, regardless of how young people might say they are Democrats, etc. many have very conservative views, but want the freedom to make their own choices. As for the kids in our family and yes, grandkids: none of them like Ron Paul, even those born and raised in Texas. With the exception of my one sil, they are all talking Rand Paul. The range in age form mid 50s to mid 20s; all are Republicans, some very conservative.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That didn't stop you from latching onto the biggest failure as a President of the USA, since Jimmy Carter.
Says you. The majority of us don't see him as being quite the failure as you do.

But it doesn't matter now anyway, because President Obama is nearing the end of his career, and the subject in this topic is Rand Paul, not Barak Obama. Deflection gets no points for Paul.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
The law looks like he can't run for both offices in the same year, meaning he would have to choose whether to run for President or Senate. The governor wouldn't have appoint anyone to his Senate seat, it would just have an open election with no incumbent running in November (if the law stands as it is).

He would not have to quit the Senate, however, to run, just would have to not seek re-election. And furthermore, it wouldn't have to tip the Senate back into the hands of Democrats, as the Democrats control the Senate. So, unfortunately, your post is quite flawed.
And blood red Kentucky would vote a different Republican into office. Kentuckians like their local democrats because they are all a bunch of DINOs, but nationally, they will take a conservative Republican if having to decide between the two, although they would prefer a libertarian. The state with more churches than any other type of establishment does not embrace the national democratic political platform.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Your son and his friends have heard Paul's "libertarian" soundbites about Fourth Amendment concerns, not getting involved in foreign entanglements, and the War on Drugs. I have several friends who are also RAND PAUL fans for the same reasons. But a little scratching the surface beyond the soundbites reveals Paul to be a giant hypocrite that says a lot of inconsistant stuff regardless of his depth of knowlege on a subject. The fact is he has become a political celebrity despite not having an policy thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections