Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you predict to be the next Governor of Texas?
Greg Abbott 36 47.37%
Wendy Davis 40 52.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I was agreeing with the rankings, not the the 3rd world statement.

I think it's pretty embarrassing for Texas to be performing so poorly.
I think it's embarrassing for you to not understand why. Couldn't have anything to do with the illegal as well as legal immigrant population now could it?
People who come into this country, as a whole, don't have the knowledge of the "American way".
You're in Dallas and don't know or didn't think that was important to acknowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think it's embarrassing for you to not understand why. Couldn't have anything to do with the illegal as well as legal immigrant population now could it?
People who come into this country, as a whole, don't have the knowledge of the "American way".
You're in Dallas and don't know or didn't think that was important to acknowledge?
Illigegal Immigration is not a problem that can be solved at the state level, and bringing it up is off-topic to this conversation.

If you want to talk about illegal immigration go to that forum.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Illigegal Immigration is not a problem that can be solved at the state level, and bringing it up is off-topic to this conversation.

If you want to talk about illegal immigration go to that forum.
I said legal and illegal. That is the main reason for the education levels being so low which addresses your own post. (You really butchered the word illegal too, lol.) When the OP brought up changing demographics, I believe that means the people coming into the state. I don't think it's the same people changing parties.

Communication is the key and when the child and/or parent are not fluent in the language used to educate how can they learn? A persons family can be here for 100 years and if they don't learn the language that is a huge barrier to becoming educated and successful here.

technically the post u responded to as well as yours and mine are off topic then

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 03-27-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But, that is the main reason for the education levels being so low which addresses the OP.
Communication is the key and when the child and/or parent are not fluent in the language used to educate how can they learn? A persons family can be here for 100 years and if they don't learn the language that is a huge barrier to becoming educated and successful here.
blame your republican boy rick perry handing out free tuition to illegals.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Abbott will win handily in Texas as no one outside Texas will have a vote as in this. Republicans have taken even many local democratic areas in recent years.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
The vote is tied 24 to 24 ?

Who is voting in this thing ?

Greg Abbott is going to have about 53% of the vote. Davis will do better than previous Democrats, but thats about it.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I don't think Wendy will win. I do think the democrats will fair better. I actually hope Texas never turns solid blue. I also dislike Texas being solid red. Purple is what's best to me.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The vote is tied 24 to 24 ?

Who is voting in this thing ?

Greg Abbott is going to have about 53% of the vote. Davis will do better than previous Democrats, but thats about it.
I think Abbott will get an easy win.
Huff Po has it
In the governor’s race, Abbott would beat Davis 47 percent to 36 percent in a general election held today, with 17 percent of registered voters saying they have not made up their minds about which candidate to support, according to the poll.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
blame your republican boy rick perry handing out free tuition to illegals.

Thanks to liberals that deem you a bigot if you dont give out anything free

Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I still wouldn't call Texas a 3rd World country. Despite the booming economy and high quality of life in metro areas, I do agree that Texas does have poor rankings in environmental pollution, education, poverty, the number of uninsured population, and the gap between rich and poor.

I love Austin and Texas despite the fact that the state clings on religion and guns.
and does just about every state in the union. There will always be poor, rural communities that are lacking behind the urban areas. But let me assure you, I have driven through and in a few cases talked to people in rural areas in many states: NM, CA, AR, Mississippi, LA, AZ, and a few others, even small communities in the NE. They all have their share of gaps. OR is another example. It is more obvious in states like Texas because the state is one of the largest. You are not going to get the same variation in a state like DE or VT, they are so very small, with little true rural living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections