Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I would argue that a specific group of married women tend to hold the cards. Married, suburban women are not the base of the Republican party but the vote that swings elections towards or away from the Republicans. It took historic minority turnout and historic minority rejection of the GOP for the President to win reelection. Those married women in the suburbs are who put both Clinton and Bush 2 in office. During the 90s they were politically referred to as soccer moms and during Bush they picked up the tag security moms.

If the 2016 nominee comes close with that vote and does marginally better than Romney with minorities it would take Electoral jujitsu on par with Bush 2000 for a Dem to win.
nope.

Barack Obama lost security moms in 2012, and won re election by 120 electoral votes and 5 million individual votes.

If a Democrat loses in 2016, it means they are losing far more than the security moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Women are not a strong Democrat constituency. Single women are, because they see the government as a substitute for the husbands they don't have.

Married women are the base of the Republican Party in America.
Are "single women" a different gender than "women" ?????

Also, i think the reason they vote Democratic is that they are their own bread winners, and there for want equal pay.

and saying they want Gov to be a substitute for their Husband is the same as saying married women couldnt fend for themselves if not for their husbands.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Scott Walker? The Man who looks like Paul Ryan with down syndrome? [Sorry, I know that's insensitive, but it's true.] I don't know much about Suzanne Martinez, other than that she's gov of NM. I hope she's not a token candidate because she's a Latina; that won't go over well. Would the base even accept her?
Nice cheap shot! The man has won 3 elections in 4 years and managed to turn the budget around in Wisconsin and lowered property tax rates. He has faced challenges from nationalized union groups and still won. As far as Suzanne Martinez, she also has turned her states budget around. She has won as a republican in a democrat state, not once but twice. Her being a Latina is actually a asset rather than a liability.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Nice cheap shot! The man has won 3 elections in 4 years and managed to turn the budget around in Wisconsin and lowered property tax rates. He has faced challenges from nationalized union groups and still won. As far as Suzanne Martinez, she also has turned her states budget around. She has won as a republican in a democrat state, not once but twice. Her being a Latina is actually a asset rather than a liability.
New Mexico has alternated the parties that control the governors Mansion since 1983, its not a big of a feat as you are claiming it is.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
New Mexico has alternated the parties that control the governors Mansion since 1983, its not a big of a feat as you are claiming it is.
No, what her big feat is, turning the budget in the state around and making the state solvent. Plus, she's likeable (at least she gives a friendly, inviting impression). I like the woman all in all..

Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
No, what her big feat is, turning the budget in the state around and making the state solvent. Plus, she's likeable (at least she gives a friendly, inviting impression). I like the woman all in all..
you said she won in a blue state twice, as if that was some giant accomplishment, that is the part i responded to.

Also wondering how her turning the state budget around is an a big feat in your mind ?How many states didnt have a budget deficit after the economy crashed in 2008 ? And further more, New Mexico is a Democratic state, Democrats have controlled the House and Senate for the last 2 years, And the budget goes through them, not her.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
you said she won in a blue state twice, as if that was some giant accomplishment, that is the part i responded to.
Where did I say it was a great accomplishment. I stated a fact that she had won twice in a blue state, which is a fact. That you ascertained that I was making it a giant accomplishment is your own interpretation.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Where did I say it was a great accomplishment. I stated a fact that she had won twice in a blue state, which is a fact. That you ascertained that I was making it a giant accomplishment is your own interpretation.
The very fact that you put it in your post is proof of what you meant, the very purpose of your post was to show why she would be a good candidate.

If you didnt think it was an accomplishment, then you wouldnt have even mentioned it.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:32 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,334 times
Quote:
Within the last 15 years, NM has not only a Republican and a Democratic gov, but also a libertarian. Most of what I've read indicates it's very much a purple state. It's a decent sign that she can win there. However, since the pop is so small it's not really a prominent state. Maybe a little more now, since Breaking Bad was filmed in Albuquerque.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Within the last 15 years, NM has not only a Republican and a Democratic gov, but also a libertarian. Most of what I've read indicates it's very much a purple state. It's a decent sign that she can win there. However, since the pop is so small it's not really a prominent state. Maybe a little more now, since Breaking Bad was filmed in Albuquerque.
Most people do not realize that even though he was a registered Republican Johnson has always been a Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections