Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Hmm, it's interesting that several of these "Blue Wall States" are also states that often have much more diversity in state politics - e.g., Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania are simultaneously purple states and and part of the blue wall. They are considered purple or "contestable because they are usually relatively close (within 10 points) but they have consistently gone blue in POTUS races (Wisconsin since 1988; Michigan and Pennsylvania since 1992). Republicans have been successful in these states in gubernatorial or senatorial races but usually when they occur it's in off year elections when turnout is considerably lower.

Quote:
I think it is absolutely foolish to consider any state a Red/Blue Wall State in the ever evolving state of our national politics.
Actually, you can already color in about 38 states on the map for the 2016 election. Do you really think the Democrats have a shot in Idaho or Wyoming?

Quote:
Show me this same map every 30-40 maps in US politics.
???

Quote:
I also think it is a very foolish venture to consider that, for example, Latinos will always vote for Democrats. What, there aren't conservative politicians and policies in Central/Southern America? Silly.
No one is assuming that Latinos will ALWAYS vote Democratic, but there is a very clear established pattern of Latinos favoring Democrats in recent electoral history. At some point their voting patterns may change, but without policy changes by the GOP it's more than likely the established pattern will remain the same, while at the same time, larger numbers of Latinos vote with each passing election cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania are simultaneously purple states and and part of the blue wall. They are considered purple or "contestable because they are usually relatively close (within 10 points) but they have consistently gone blue in POTUS races (Wisconsin since 1988; Michigan and Pennsylvania since 1992). Republicans have been successful in these states in gubernatorial or senatorial races but usually when they occur it's in off year elections when turnout is considerably lower.

This is what Pa is to the GOP: This time, Lucy will let him kick it (2012). No, she won't. Pa is where the GOP wastes money chasing the winning Powerball ticket that will never come again.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Three of the blue wall states are also listed as "purple" states since their D margins have generally been less than 10%; Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Of those three, I think Wisconsin may be the best bet.

Our conservative friends are likely to avoid this thread like the plague, on the theory that if you're don't talk about an unpleasant subject, it will just go away.

I'll bite as a conservative.....true, there are some whoppers in there....but, those union entrenched states are overtly po'd about his promises.....nothing rattles them more than the threat of downsizing and layoffs....now, that they see he has not delivered, he is closer than ever to losing. If the Republicans can just kill the super majority to within a few votes say, 53-47, you might see some movement.

Of course, having a Republican president could help thins a bit. It's up in the air and unlike my counterparts, you have made good points. The Dem's hold on to quite a few states of lethargy....California, despite it's brutal beating on benefits is still Democrat. NJ, NY and so on are NOT going to change. Not so long as the goodies keep rolling.

It's going to be tough this fall. The Republicans have a very, long uphill battle to take over the Senate. If they can do that, the president is not likely to get much done for the next two years.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

Of course, having a Republican president could help thins a bit. It's up in the air and unlike my counterparts, you have made good points. The Dem's hold on to quite a few states of lethargy....California, despite it's brutal beating on benefits is still Democrat. NJ, NY and so on are NOT going to change. Not so long as the goodies keep rolling.

What goodies? NY, NJ, CT, that corridor pays over $1.30 to the Feds for every dollar it gets back. The Southeast pays about 75 cents per $1 received.

The goodies from the government disproportinately roll to the red states.

Maybe the GOP should, just once, try a message that resonates with high income, high tax-paying states. Oh, I'm sorry, I'm being logical.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I am not so sure that the Dem advantage cannot be beaten. Had Romney never said his 47% remarks, he would have won the election. A moderate, charismatic Pub could breach the blue wall enough to win. I don't see such a horse in their stable atm though. Then again, the Pubs are not about moderation anymore.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Which offer the best opportunity with the right GOP message of ever becoming at least "toss up"?
We talk of them a lot, but I thought it would be nice to post them, see them, and discuss them.

Holding Democratic 'blue wall' was crucial for Obama victory - CNN.com
Don't see much hope in that map for the GOP, maybe Wisconsin and/or Pennsylvania. Everything else stays solid Blue.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am not so sure that the Dem advantage cannot be beaten. Had Romney never said his 47% remarks, he would have won the election. A moderate, charismatic Pub could breach the blue wall enough to win. I don't see such a horse in their stable atm though. Then again, the Pubs are not about moderation anymore.
I don't think the 47% cost him the election. Might have had some movement in a some states as a result, and perhas a couple of states could have flipped asa result, but not enough to elect him.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
There is literally nothing the Republicans can do to win another national election.

The problem with the GOP is their gerrymandering has shifted the party too far right. Democrats are more likely to compromise and have actually shifted right of center with their constant appeasement of the GOP. Therefore, all the moderate right-leaning folks are closer to the mainstream Democrats than their own Tea Party bretheren. This leaves mainstream Republicans without a base.

Virginia and Florida are now solidly blue... and North Carolina will likely drift blue in 2016 as it did in 2008, because the GOP goons have alienated the state with their extremist policy. This is also happening in Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Gerrymandering won them representation, but these moderate purpleish states do not resonate with the hard-right GOP platform!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am not so sure that the Dem advantage cannot be beaten. Had Romney never said his 47% remarks, he would have won the election. A moderate, charismatic Pub could breach the blue wall enough to win. .
No, MR might have added a state or two, but the GOP has been losing ground in the Blue Wall every cycle. That wall makes 270 a walk in the park for the Dems.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Our conservative friends are likely to avoid this thread like the plague, on the theory that if you're don't talk about an unpleasant subject, it will just go away.
You were spot on. This is a painful truth for conservatives. But ignoring reality is never going to work in their behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections