U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cross party lines in a general election?
I'm a Republican, no I wouldn't. 14 18.42%
I'm a Democrat, no I wouldn't. 5 6.58%
I'm a Republican, yes I would. 15 19.74%
I'm a Democrat, yes I would. 14 18.42%
I'm an independent, and don't identify with a party. 28 36.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,062,556 times

Advertisements

I think that in this election in particular people that generally vote for one party will jump ship and vote for the other candidate. I would, assuming Richardson wins, I would vote for him over anyone but Ron Paul, and there are a few dems (all of them but Edwards and Clinton) I would support over Huckabee, or Guiliani. I think it is stupid to vote just for your party when someone from acroos the aisle might have better ideas. I voted Republican, yes I would.Please state your reason why or why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,196,346 times
Whats really stupid is the 2 party system that is shoved down our throat and the candidates being parred down by the media instead of the people. I would vote for any PERSON who I believe is the best candidate. So far, I voted for Bob Dole and GWB in 2000. Didn't vote in 2004 because GWB taught me a lesson. But I also didn't vote for Kerry because I thought he was just as useless. I will vote for whoever I think is the best candidate regardless of party and regardless of what their chances are according to the media. Never will I play the game of "the lesser of 2 evils", and until all of America does the same, we will keep getting stuck with who the media and corporate elites shill.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,697,501 times
I don't consider myself someone who votes along a party line. I have voted for people on both sides in the past. In recent years, the republican party candidates have been more consistent with my views than those put forward by the democrats. I would vote for a democrat that I liked, but I will not vote for any of those that are the frontrunners right now.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,697,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Whats really stupid is the 2 party system that is shoved down our throat and the candidates being parred down by the media instead of the people. I would vote for any PERSON who I believe is the best candidate. So far, I voted for Bob Dole and GWB in 2000. Didn't vote in 2004 because GWB taught me a lesson. But I also didn't vote for Kerry because I thought he was just as useless. I will vote for whoever I think is the best candidate regardless of party and regardless of what their chances are according to the media. Never will I play the game of "the lesser of 2 evils", and until all of America does the same, we will keep getting stuck with who the media and corporate elites shill.
Good post. I would like to scrap the parties and make people state their beliefs to earn votes.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I agree, what we need in America is a viable third party, I like the libertarian party, but what can you do?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,310,898 times
We're fortunate enough to have an open primary here in VT, so this isn't a hypothetical question - a considerable number of us here vote one party in the primary and a different party in the general election. And even those of us who don't, tend to be pretty independent in our voting to begin with...

Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
We're fortunate enough to have an open primary here in VT, so this isn't a hypothetical question - a considerable number of us here vote one party in the primary and a different party in the general election. And even those of us who don't, tend to be pretty independent in our voting to begin with...
We also have an open primary, but I'm talking about the general election, when you vote for whoever you want.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,685,605 times
Quote:
I really wish the Libertarian party would pickup more steam..

Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,310,898 times
For what it's worth, I've voted for Democrats, Progressives (they have major party status in my city - and a former progressive is presently our US Senator) Republicans and Libertarians

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,443,622 times
I'm independent but ill tell you one thing this man wont do: identify himself with the uber sleazy democratic party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or