Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Lee Atwater was not a historian.
Do you realize that Atwater was the architect of the racist 'Willie' Horton campaign and apologized for it? The man's name was not 'Willie' but this is what he was called to sound more ethnic. If the perpetrator is going to admit the act, you don't need an historian.
Quote:
Mcain complained no such thing about W Bush.
Actually he did. I remember him complaining about what happened in the SC primary.
Quote:
McCain, in his 2002 memoir, Worth the Fighting For, wrote (without going into much detail), “There wasn’t a damn thing I could do about the subterranean assaults on my reputation except to act in a way that contradicted their libel.”
The Trashing of John McCain | Vanity Fair

He knew from where the rumor emanated.

Now, try to deal with the big picture: Republicans have had a habit of playing the race card for the last three decades and before. Two fact emerge:

1. The GOP is not trying to attract minority voters.

2. The GOP believes that racist appeals work with its constituency.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
McCain has too much class to have talked about it publicly, but I tend to believe it happened, although it would no doubt have been a ploy of the classless Rove rather than Bush himself.

P.S. IMO, McCain would have made a far better POTUS than W.

But there was no evidence that Rove had anything to do with it. If you have the evidence, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm no fan of Rove. I'm even less of a fan of making s*** up about people. Supply your evidence that Rove was responsible...I'm all ears.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
But there was no evidence that Rove had anything to do with it. If you have the evidence, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm no fan of Rove. I'm even less of a fan of making s*** up about people. Supply your evidence that Rove was responsible...I'm all ears.
I have full faith if McCain's campaign manager were not telling the truth, JM would have been the first to publicly challenge the story. He didn't.

Unlike a court of law, we are ALL entitled to believe who we choose to in a he said/she said (this is analigious). If you want your beliefs to be respected, you need to respect others who believe differently than you.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
I have full faith if McCain's campaign manager were not telling the truth, JM would have been the first to publicly challenge the story. He didn't.

Unlike a court of law, we are ALL entitled to believe who we choose to in a he said/she said (this is analigious). If you want your beliefs to be respected, you need to respect others who believe differently than you.
OK sure, we can all believe what we wish. We can believe that he moon is made of cheese, or that David Duke is a most superior human being, but what is the evidence? Sorry but I am not going to respect such beliefs. YMMV.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I am not going to respect such beliefs. .
I feel the same way regarding your head in the sand perception of reality.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
The GOP has nominated and elected minority candidates all over this country and leftist trash who control the Democrat party promptly attacks them for selling out to their race or "Toming around".

Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I feel the same way regarding your head in the sand perception of reality.
It appears if people do not agree with you they should just give it up and not even bother to vote, or bother to discuss politics because you seem to know it all. Sorry, but that is how you come across. Can't we have a debate and try to understand "the other side" ?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times

I think a moderate GOP hispanic candidate can do well but both parties need to stop thinking immigration is the biggest issue for hispanics. Immigration isn't even the biggest issue for all Americans.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It appears if people do not agree with you they should just give it up and not even bother to vote, or bother to discuss politics because you seem to know it all. Sorry, but that is how you come across. Can't we have a debate and try to understand "the other side" ?
I was trying to. My reply was a response to his snarky reply. Now if you wish to condone what Bush did to McCain, that is your decision. I need not concur.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
In general though Personally I'd like to see the GOP try to make more of an effort to win over black voters (so the Dems would have to make more of an effort to get the black vote), but I don't see it happening, there are just too many racists in the party. For every attempt to "reach out" to the black community, there's another Cliven Bundy or racist newsletter somewhere.

Plus, they need to think of something better than that tired "Republicans freed the slaves" and "MLK was a Republican" BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections