Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:36 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
tokens. any straight white male that would cast a vote for a democrat is a self loather.
Straight white male votes Democrat, but not a self loather....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
How about a summary or highlights for those of us that don't have an hour to watch a show on Idaho politics.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
tokens. any straight white male that would cast a vote for a democrat is a self loather.
And how would you know that?
You don't. You just made it up.

Don't be so silly.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 PM

This primary is relatively tame in comparison to the last one.
Harley and Walt aren't even in the major league of nutbaggery; one of our finest, who changed his name legally to Pro Life, decided to run as an independent this time. In the last primary Pro Life's main campaign point was that beating children should not have criminal penalties.

There's a lot of controversy here about the debate. Gov. Butch Otter would not agree to the debate unless all the candidates were invited. The Idaho PBS station used to deny the candidates who had not been appearing at other debates, rallies and other party events debate time, but Butch said he promised the biker, Harley D. Brown, who's a perennial candidate, debate time in the next one after Harley raised a fuss in the TV studio during the last primary.

Challenger Fulcher says Otter rigged the debate to make it look like a fiasco. A lot of people think Otter did, but to limit the time Fulcher could go after him on serious questions and points. A tactical move.

If it's true, it worked. Fulcher and Otter tangled a few times, but the time ran out before either landed a serious blow against the other. As far as it goes, it looked like Fulcher was enjoying the antics as much as Otter was.

This is the only Gubernatorial debate of the primary. for sure, the Idaho GOP has yet to learn to control the Klown Kar debates of 2012.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
How about a summary or highlights for those of us that don't have an hour to watch a show on Idaho politics.
It was kinda boring. I saw the first 20 minutes or so.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This primary is relatively tame in comparison to the last one.
Harley and Walt aren't even in the major league of nutbaggery; one of our finest, who changed his name legally to Pro Life, decided to run as an independent this time. In the last primary Pro Life's main campaign point was that beating children should not have criminal penalties.

There's a lot of controversy here about the debate. Gov. Butch Otter would not agree to the debate unless all the candidates were invited. The Idaho PBS station used to deny the candidates who had not been appearing at other debates, rallies and other party events debate time, but Butch said he promised the biker, Harley D. Brown, who's a perennial candidate, debate time in the next one after Harley raised a fuss in the TV studio during the last primary.

Challenger Fulcher says Otter rigged the debate to make it look like a fiasco. A lot of people think Otter did, but to limit the time Fulcher could go after him on serious questions and points. A tactical move.

If it's true, it worked. Fulcher and Otter tangled a few times, but the time ran out before either landed a serious blow against the other. As far as it goes, it looked like Fulcher was enjoying the antics as much as Otter was.

This is the only Gubernatorial debate of the primary. for sure, the Idaho GOP has yet to learn to control the Klown Kar debates of 2012.
I always loved debates it is one good thing that comes out of democracy and that Iowa debate was a interesting one. I think I might agree that Otter let in the other 2 to limit his real only challengers time because Otters record sounded like it sucked and the condition of the state the same. Fulchers main point was for the state to wrestle land from federal control so it can be mined and drilled. It beats Idaho's present condition of leading the country in min wage jobs which of course leads to poverty where the state is 3rd.

The biker is a certifiable nut case but has personality and is likeable, the other guy is one of those 2 issue voters, he is pro life and he wants to kill a bunch of wolves.

If I was in Idaho[thank god I am not] and if I was not voting 3rd party I would give Fulcher a good look.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I always loved debates it is one good thing that comes out of democracy and that Iowa debate was a interesting one. I think I might agree that Otter let in the other 2 to limit his real only challengers time because Otters record sounded like it sucked and the condition of the state the same. Fulchers main point was for the state to wrestle land from federal control so it can be mined and drilled. It beats Idaho's present condition of leading the country in min wage jobs which of course leads to poverty where the state is 3rd.

The biker is a certifiable nut case but has personality and is likeable, the other guy is one of those 2 issue voters, he is pro life and he wants to kill a bunch of wolves.

If I was in Idaho[thank god I am not] and if I was not voting 3rd party I would give Fulcher a good look.
There was a time when Butch was just like Russ Fulcher, but that was before he became Governor and the fiscal realities of this state slapped him hard in the chops.

Idaho's constitution requires the budget to be balanced every year. That's getting harder to do these days with things as they are here.

If Fulcher was elected and actually succeeded in getting all our Federal lands becoming state owned, the costs of just one bad fire year could cripple the state for a decade.
The last bad forest fire year here was only 2 years ago, and the cost was over $240 million to fight them. Idaho's share, as Butch pointed out, was only $14 million, well within the budgeting for fires. That's only one of the huge expenses the feds pick up here.

Idaho is completely controlled by the Republican party from top to bottom, and every single one of them has the same mantra: No New Taxes. For years, they have been whacking down the taxes that are already in place.

Fulcher's thoughts are shared by a lot of folks here, and it's true- Butch hasn't been exactly hard working on the job for the past 8 years. But he is a charming guy and appeals to the sensibility of most Idahoans, so he's been able to skate by in all of his former positions from being a state Legislator, a Congressional Representative, a Lt. Governor, and now the Guv. A 30 year political career.

Russ could well win this time, and a primary win is almost a guarantee he'll become Governor if he does. If he wins, he's gonna get hit with the same hard realities that hit Butch, and there simply is no way he can accomplish his agenda without our taxes going through the roof. The alternative is state bankruptcy or bowing to the realities, both equally distasteful to his supporters. It will be a perfect storm of ideology vs. reality at it's strongest.

I decided I'm voting for Harley. Since he has it on good authority that God directs him, I'm hoping the Big Guy Up There will show his chosen the way. But I sure wish he would start wearing a helmet. God's record on preventing brain damage from riding motorcycles ain't so hot.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
That is a harsh reality Fulcher would have to face where does the state get that kind of money to cover a big fire? Does he or anyone in the state have a idea on that problem? The only idea I can think of is having the mining/oil companies share cost in insuring the states land. And that would be after wrestling it away from the feds.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,829 times
Quote:
it obviously offended people to the point that they complained. I am assuming you are one of the people. it's quite comical. I forgot to mention that liberals love the lily white pacific northwest. does the truth hurt senior?
Except that wouldn't be the truth. Consider Washington State. It is only about 72% white, which is about average.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Straight white male votes Democrat, but not a self loather....
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections