Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,011,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Many things are introduced in the classroom, distasteful though they may be. Atlas Shrugged was a rather boring book but Rand did offer up some interesting ideas. Exposure to them is not going to hurt students. They might actually learn critical thinking skills.
I agree with you - people need to be warned about this type of crap and understand how and why people will use impressive sounding philosophy to confuse and manipulate others. All I was getting at is that Rand's world views should *never* be presented as an actual, proper moral compass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,222,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No, just someone who pays taxes like everyone else but whines about it more.

You seem to think your government is responsible for keeping you happy, and that you shouldn't have to pay taxes on the grounds it makes you sad. You are wrong. The government is not your mommy, its job is not to keep you from being sad.
Please remind the millions of voters out there of this fact who think government exits primarily to keep them happy.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,245,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You keep telling you that while your wealthy overlords stand on your backs enjoying the philosophy of Ayn Rand and all the people willing to let them stand on them in the hopes of one day being rich like them too.
Why are they LETTING anyone stand on them????

Waiting for others to care for them???

Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,618,642 times
Quote:
If you want it, work for it, and take advantage of everyone around you, the me, myself, and I way from Ayn Rand.
So you think we don't have scammers that will take advantage of you now? Obama and his administration did away with all that? LOL

Important: Don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of. At minimum understand your personal finances, be smart.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,245,208 times
Quote:
I have heard of both, neither I would put on a resume when asked for education credentials.
You must be very proud.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I agree with you - people need to be warned about this type of crap and understand how and why people will use impressive sounding philosophy to confuse and manipulate others. All I was getting at is that Rand's world views should *never* be presented as an actual, proper moral compass.
Obama needs to tell students to "reject those voices". It might loosen his hold on the poor.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,011,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama needs to tell students to "reject those voices". It might loosen his hold on the poor.
What? You do realize that the poor were poor before Obama came into power and will still be poor after he leaves. The idiotic decisions that led this nation into an economic mess have little to nothing to do with him specifically and everything to do with sell-outs on both sides of the aisle and the corporate stooges that control them.

And, for the record, Rand's mindset HAS been involved in the destruction of this nation's economy. Alan Greenspan, architect of the Housing Bubble, is a huge fan of Ayn Rand, and every Wall Street crook out there who laughs at the "little people" when they lose their homes and jobs is, effectively, following her mindset and beliefs.

I know - you want to blame it all on "liberals," "Obama," and "those poor people sitting on their porches in the morning," but those are not the facts.

So, you can either accept reality, quite whining about "taxes make me a slave, whah!" or move someplace where you can be "free" - at least until the local warlord stops by and asks for some protection money. I assume you're man enough to tell him to his face that "paying protection money makes me a slave" right?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,766,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You're right, I don't get it. How could anyone take Ayn Rand seriously? It baffles me.
My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue.

Government cannot be moral, society should be. She didn't agree with that.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM

13,817 posts, read 5,527,336 times
Quote:
Because her philosophy is at the root of almost every problem in this nation, even if the people who are behaving selfishly don't realize it.
So wrong it's hard to know where to begin attacking it, but whatever.

Which problem exactly is rooted in anything actually written anywhere by Ayn Rand? I'd love to know, really.
Quote:
The key tenant of Objectivism can be boiled down to "being selfish is okay." In short, do whatever you want if it makes you happy.
That's not the key tenant of Objectivism. Absolute adherence to reason is the key tenant of Objectivism. As far as you being wrong about "in short, do whatever you want if it makes you happy"...let's let the author answer you in her own words:
Quote:
She argues that selfishness, properly understood, does not mean doing whatever you feel like doing or exploiting others, and that altruism does not mean benevolence or goodwill but the opposite.

"The Objectivist ethics holds that the actor must always be the beneficiary of his action and that man must act for his own rational self-interest. But his right to do so is derived from his nature as man and from the function of moral values in human life — and, therefore, is applicable only in the context of a rational, objectively demonstrated and validated code of moral principles which define and determine his actual self-interest. It is not a license “to do as he pleases” and it is not applicable to the altruists’ image of a “selfish” brute nor to any man motivated by irrational emotions, feelings, urges, wishes or whims."
But by all means, keep laboring under your delusions and false narratives about an author you've clearly never read.
Quote:
With all the problems this nation faces, I don't see how anyone could support introducing her philosophy into schools except as a warning - in short, teaching it the same way people are taught about the Nazis. The last thing we need is more selfish "makers" trying to stick knives in the back of everyone else, who they (of course) consider "takers."
People should be warned about laissez faire capitalism, individual rights, and being morally rational and productive? Really? Read the 25 Points of the NSDAP (Nazi party) published in 1920, and your desire to "warn people" about the evils of capitalism would have made Der Feurher proud.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM

37,939 posts, read 17,766,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Ayn Rand was a total phony. When she was elderly she received Medicare. And she was an atheist. Maybe somebody should tell Mr. Brat that in between his constant quoting of the Bible.
She paid into the system. Why is it greedy for wanting to keep your money but not greedy for others to take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections