Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
What is incredible to me is that Bachmann is listed in the recent survey of possible GOP contenders, along with Sarah Palin, for 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So it's perfectly ok to attack women as long as Democrats consider it humor? Got it, thanks.

Don't get yer panties in a wad.Please note the two people i singled out.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What about Elizabeth Warren; if she would change her mind and run? There is a woman that would bring change - possibly too much change to ever get in the WH?
I don't believe Warren will ever run for President.
She's getting too old (I believe she's close to Hillary's age), doesn't want the job on 2016, according to her, and is very content being a Senator, where she can be a stronger liberal voice.

The Presidency is too much of a perpetual balancing act for someone like Warren, I think. The Senate is the place where she can push harder for her liberal agenda, and is better counter-balanced by the equally strong conservative Senators who push back. Warren is all about this kind of deliberation, and the Senate is where it happens most and most often.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
The best chance for a quality woman candidate the GOP has had in recent years was Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, who retired in 2013. She was a strong supporter of the GOP economic agenda and an articulate legislator. However, she was guilty of the unpardonable "sin" of being pro-choice, which did not sit well with the right wing evangelical extremists in power in the GOP inner circle who controlled the party platform during her time in Congress and still have great influence today. Her odds of being selected would have been very low.

She would have been a far better candidate than the four other GOP women mentioned in this thread IMO (Palin, Bachmann, Haley, and Martinez). Just my two cents.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The best chance for a quality woman candidate the GOP has had in recent years was Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, who retired in 2013. She was a strong supporter of the GOP economic agenda and an articulate legislator. However, she was guilty of the unpardonable "sin" of being pro-choice, which did not sit well with the right wing evangelical extremists in power in the GOP inner circle who controlled the party platform during her time in Congress and still have great influence today. Her odds of being selected would have been very low.

She would have been a far better candidate than the four other GOP women mentioned in this thread IMO (Palin, Bachmann, Haley, and Martinez). Just my two cents.
What do you know about Martinez? I am guessing very little and how about Haley? What makes you think they are not good possible candidates? Yes, Kaye Bailey Hutchinson was a good Republican and a good leader, but that was then. we are talking about the future and I have a gut feeling you are basing your views of the two that I mentioned, on nothing really...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you know about Martinez? I am guessing very little and how about Haley? What makes you think they are not good possible candidates? Yes, Kaye Bailey Hutchinson was a good Republican and a good leader, but that was then. we are talking about the future and I have a gut feeling you are basing your views of the two that I mentioned, on nothing really...
Well, KBH had political experience working across the aisle while maintaining strong GOP economic views and a reasonable view on some social issues. Merely expressing a preference for one person is not the same as dissing someone else. It was a missed opportunity by the GOP IMO and from what I have read and heard, the other four would not be as qualified IMO. Maybe the candidates will prove some of us wrong. Maybe they won't. I would not be surprised if Martinez and Haley ran, but am under no obligation to vote for them. I would be fine with a woman President, though. I do vote for women candidates (mayor of my city a decade ago and for some state and Congressional elections, too).

I remember hearing a speech by Martinez and not being impressed...probably was the GOP convention in 2012. Both Haley and Martinez oppose choice on abortion and are governors of small states (especially Martinez). However, so was Bill Clinton so that is not necessarily a deal breaker on its own, but does mean you have to work even harder and get even more financial backing generally speaking.

Your gut feeling is incorrect, but thanks for allowing me to clarify and I did mention something to support my view and maintain my opinion. You are free to support the candidate of your choice and I may disagree, but won't accuse you of supporting them for no reason or nothing...LOL. I am not trying to twist anyone's arm. Just sharing my viewpoint.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-25-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Well, KBH had political experience working across the aisle while maintaining strong GOP economic views and a reasonable view on some social issues. Merely expressing a preference for one person is not the same as dissing someone else. It was a missed opportunity by the GOP IMO and from what I have read and heard, the other four would not be as qualified IMO. Maybe the candidates will prove some of us wrong. Maybe they won't. I would not be surprised if Martinez and Haley ran, but am under no obligation to vote for them. I would be fine with a woman President, though. I do vote for women candidates (mayor of my city a decade ago and for some state and Congressional elections, too).

I remember hearing a speech by Martinez and not being impressed...probably was the GOP convention in 2012. Both Haley and Martinez oppose choice on abortion and are governors of small states (especially Martinez). However, so was Bill Clinton so that is not necessarily a deal breaker on its own, but does mean you have to work even harder and get even more financial backing generally speaking.

Your gut feeling is incorrect, but thanks for allowing me to clarify and I did mention something to support my view and maintain my opinion. You are free to support the candidate of your choice and I may disagree, but won't accuse you of supporting them for no reason or nothing...LOL. I am not trying to twist anyone's arm. Just sharing my viewpoint.
well, it sounds like you are basing your comments on your opinion and certainly not on any fact. I love it when people say: from what I hear, but don't tell us where you hear it or who said it: As for Haley and Martinez, my concern is they are both relatively new comers, which, as we have seen, in the past 6 years, this may not be a good thing.

You may not have liked Martinez's speech at the convention, but that is what has gotten her so much attention, and her popularity in NM has helped.

As for KBH, she never showed any desire to run for President, not to mention, by the time she left office her age was catching up with her. Had she been in office a decade later, her future may have been different. I am not questioning whether she would have been a good candidate, I am questioning your comments. I will say, you have now posted them as opinions, but before you posted them more as facts. You are pro abortion, that is your right and many agree with you. I happen to be on the fence, but I also would never support or not support a candidate based on one or two issues.

You are right about Martinez and a small state; yes, that would hurt her, but it still has nothing to do with her qualifications or your stating KBH would have been better.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well, it sounds like you are basing your comments on your opinion and certainly not on any fact. I love it when people say: from what I hear, but don't tell us where you hear it or who said it: As for Haley and Martinez, my concern is they are both relatively new comers, which, as we have seen, in the past 6 years, this may not be a good thing.

You may not have liked Martinez's speech at the convention, but that is what has gotten her so much attention, and her popularity in NM has helped.

As for KBH, she never showed any desire to run for President, not to mention, by the time she left office her age was catching up with her. Had she been in office a decade later, her future may have been different. I am not questioning whether she would have been a good candidate, I am questioning your comments. I will say, you have now posted them as opinions, but before you posted them more as facts. You are pro abortion, that is your right and many agree with you. I happen to be on the fence, but I also would never support or not support a candidate based on one or two issues.

You are right about Martinez and a small state; yes, that would hurt her, but it still has nothing to do with her qualifications or your stating KBH would have been better.
Anytime we choose our preferred candidates I believe we are stating our opinions. I stated my opinion assertively the first time, so if you want to parse hairs and say I said it as fact go ahead. I did mention a couple relevant facts about positions, but I don't post biographies on city data (LOL). If the election was a little closer, I may have been more detailed. It is two and a half years away and a lot can change.

I did not see anyone else post much detail about candidates prior to my post either. BTW, did you read the OP's original post simply saying Michele Bachman and Sarah Palin were a dream team? No detail and certainly less than mine, but you don't object to that. That was being assertive. That is her right. I disagree, but am not offended.

I respect both Haley and Martinez, but at this point I doubt I could support them for President and that is my right. I may change my mind as the election gets closer. I'll keep an open mind. It is your right to support them. Again, I never intended to prove beyond a doubt that mine was the correct choice and anyone else's was wrong. That would have been a little disrespectful IMO. The time for that is closer to the election when we know for sure who will be running. Too many question marks at the moment.

Again, I am tolerant of you supporting whoever you want and expressing your support in the manner you choose. I am fine with your opinion of KBH, too. Age probably factored in a little. Just asking the same of you. Nothing I said in my first two posts was offensive or disrespectful. (I read some truly rude posts every week that make these two seem tame by comparison). My communication style was clear and I did not diss anyone else. There is no requirement that what I post has to meet with your approval and vica versa. I stand by what I said.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-26-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 PM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Here is Michelle being blasted on Fox News of all places!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eswz4Fjrw20

Last edited by merv1225; 06-26-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 02:01 PM

This article with five audio excerpts of Susana Martinez is another reason to be concerned IMO. She insults teachers in one of them and calls someone a little ***** in another. Granted, Mother Jones is generally left of center, but the audio excerpts are a record of her behavior and communications style. I don't expect anyone to read the entire article. Just scroll about halfway down and they are on the right side of the page.

People can decide for themselves if it is cause for concern or no big deal.

Is New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez the Next Sarah Palin? | Mother Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections