Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

If you could re-run the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections using the projected electorate that will be voting in 2016 (70% white voters), George W. Bush would never have been elected. In 2000, Bush lost the popular vote by about a half million votes but won the Presidency by carrying Florida by 537 votes with an electorate that was 81% white. In 2004, Bush was re-elected by about 3 million votes nationally, but won by narrowly carrying Ohio by about 110-120 thousand votes, with a national electorate that was 77% white. 2000 would have a clear loss for Bush and 2004 a likely one just because of demographic change.

The GOP simply has to broaden their appeal to win in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
But that is thing, we know enough about both of them, in order to make corrective decisions, unlike before. Imagine a presidency that is working for you, because we have all the needed information from before.

I don't care if Al Gore makes money from the Global Warming. At least he is making an effort to talk about something that actually matters, and was the future problems we are facing right now.

John Kerry a warmonger?? and sympathizer?? How and why? I have not seen any news about him, being for the current wars at all.

Think about it like this. What more harm could they do the American people? I want blasted privacy and rights that was stolen from our beautiful nation at least before 2001, and I want the war to end already. It has been proven already.

Personally the way I see things, the nation is divided by two halves. One are people who care about money, and one are people that wants the goverment to spend more money. The people who want the goverment to spend money do not mind it so, because they are already paying taxes, and the people who want less taxes do not want to spend money, because they are happy with the way things are. I guess we call those people consevertives ( tax payers with investments ) and liberals ( the working class living on the edge ). However both agree they do not like people, not working at all. Meaning they want to abuse people who do not work, or look like if they are too happy. I call those people proverty striken, and free minided yuppies. Then to make things worst nobody really cares about rights at all, and they make excuses.

If the world is going to end, I prefer to have at least one of these two at helm. So USA can truly move on. I do not really see any canidate standing up for the privacy and the rights of the American people. Part of the reason why we have so much nostalgia for the 19XX years. Nobody really accepts the current position of the nation, and wants to progress not regress.

Before we can truly progress I want the nation to give back all the rights and privacies the people were stripped of, since 2001. That would be the first step in many smaller steps. Their is so much crap going down in goverment and we are just sitting around like arseholes on armpits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I want whatever the OP is smoking coming up with that tripe.
Think about it like this. If I am complaining about how things are, their must be something wrong with the current status of the nation. We are building more jails everyday, limiting peoples understanding, and dumbing down everybodies point of view.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Those two rich bastards, couldn't even beat dumbass Bush.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
They're both too old.
I can agree with some of your thoughts, but the fact is Americans like fresh faces better than failed re-treads. There are a lot of good candidates in the past who ran twice for the job and were never elected, but it's been a long time since any loser tried again, all the way through the long process we have now.

Some of them could have been better possible Presidents than the ones who were elected, but that's only a matter of conjecture. And they mostly came from an earlier time, when a Presidential candidate was settled by the party's convention, not the long primary campaigns and debates.

These days, the only contenders who try a second time are those who dropped out early on the first go-round. Reagan was the ground changer; he didn't expect to be nominated over Ford, the incumbent, in 1976. But he used the fewer primaries of the time and the convention to build up his base, knowing full well the Republicans wouldn't abandon an incumbent, to his advantage 4 years later. Reagan was very careful not to alienate Ford's base while opposing him. Their race was much more polite than any we have seen since, and Reagan was very graceful in defeat. He also immediately began campaigning hard for Ford.

2016, with no incumbent, will be a much different picture, I'm sure. I see none of Reagan's careful preparation happening right now in either party, and I don't expect to see much Reagan's civility or respect for his competition coming from any of the present possible contenders.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Al Gore and John Kerry is the only choice left?

Two losers on the same ticket?

What could go wrong?
Ask McCain/Palin or Romney/Ryan.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Al gore....No thanks I don't want a carbon tax.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Gore and Kerry couldn't beat the weakest candidate and incumbent maybe ever.
1.Bush being the weakest candidate is an opinion

2. Gore did win the popular vote.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:07 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If you could re-run the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections using the projected electorate that will be voting in 2016 (70% white voters), George W. Bush would never have been elected. In 2000, Bush lost the popular vote by about a half million votes but won the Presidency by carrying Florida by 537 votes with an electorate that was 81% white. In 2004, Bush was re-elected by about 3 million votes nationally, but won by narrowly carrying Ohio by about 110-120 thousand votes, with a national electorate that was 77% white. 2000 would have a clear loss for Bush and 2004 a likely one just because of demographic change.

The GOP simply has to broaden their appeal to win in the future.

The Dems have not exactly been endearing themselves to the hearts of Americans these past 6 years.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The Dems have not exactly been endearing themselves to the hearts of Americans these past 6 years.
The above is your opinion,and you are free to have it, but it has nothing to do with the post you are responding to.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1.Bush being the weakest candidate is an opinion

2. Gore did win the popular vote.
He couldn't even win his home state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections