Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which contender would you pick?
Rand Paul 26 39.39%
Rick Perry 13 19.70%
Neither 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:32 PM

553 posts, read 595,795 times

Advertisements

Rick Perry has five items on his resume that Republicans like to see in their Nominees:

1) He ran before and lost. This has been a trait of every Republican Presidential Nominee since 1968.

2) He has a track record of Successful Leadership. Republicans like Generals, Businessmen, and Governors.

3) He has served in the Military. Only one Republican Nominee since 1952--Romney--did not serve in the Military.

4) He's the butt of everybody's jokes when they can't explain his Successful Leadership.

5) He has a sence of humor about himself and about the world in general. When combined with a take-charge type personality this is the hallmark of a natural born leader for it instills confidence. It's a combination that terrifies the Left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Rick Perry has five items on his resume that Republicans like to see in their Nominees:

1) He ran before and lost. This has been a trait of every Republican Presidential Nominee since 1968.

2) He has a track record of Successful Leadership. Republicans like Generals, Businessmen, and Governors.

3) He has served in the Military. Only one Republican Nominee since 1952--Romney--did not serve in the Military.

4) He's the butt of everybody's jokes when they can't explain his Successful Leadership.

5) He has a sence of humor about himself and about the world in general. When combined with a take-charge type personality this is the hallmark of a natural born leader for it instills confidence. It's a combination that terrifies the Left.
Unfortunately if he gets the nomination, he'll lose the election by a greater margin than we've seen in several election cycles. I think America is about tired of Texan men in the White House. He has been a good leader, but he's had his fair share of bad planning to as well as success that would've happened with or without him. His military record, while nice, isn't necessary. The POTUS is a civilian position. And the left isn't scared of him, they laugh at the thought of him. I still remember the commercial where he said its sad hays can serve openly but kids can't pray in school (he needs to open his mouth wide to insert that foot) which I would just like to note u can pray in school, it's just silent since people have different religious views and your prayer is between you and God. It's also an adult that seems like he wants the nation to become a theocracy. I'm sorry guys, he's just too far right to win a general election.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post

Well I can tell you, Perry will never run this country. Ever. He's way too extreme and his policies just don't make sense. And with the way things are changing, ten years from now Texas might wouldn't even pick a man like Perry.
I said the saem things about BOH in 2008. He has yet to run the country - preside - as a person elected to the office might traditionally but he is a rock star. From your posts you seem to like a hip young guy who is moderate to the point of liberal and gay marriage is very important to you.

This country needs a firm hand on the tiller and Rick Perry could be that hand. He won't back down when BHO and his cronies want to go at him and while he is serious about the immigration problem on his border, BHO could care less. BHO won't man the border or execute the laws he swore to uphold.
You fail to recognize the need for stronger leadership, you tell as much in your posts.

Rand Paul is not his father - Ron Paul should have been POTUS 16 years ago. Rand can only pick up that torch and learn to run with it as his father once did.

Your poll was pointless. The citizens of this country are so polarized at present they don't know what kind of leadership they have, what they need or what they want. They don't know what would be in the best interest of the country. They only know what the media tells them and that is truly sad.
For instance...would a strong financial platform or strong civil rights platform benefit the country now?

Would you rather work or marry your same sex partner? Which is for the greater good of the nation?
A working America is a prosperous/healthy America. How about balancing the budget or attempting to do so? How about avoiding a deficit? Paying down the debt?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Well I can tell you, Perry will never run this country. Ever. He's way too extreme and his policies just don't make sense. And with the way things are changing, ten years from now Texas might wouldn't even pick a man like Perry.
Honestly, Perry says stupid things, but the majority of HIS(key word) policies dont really match that.

You can blame him for signing dumb laws(some of which he has vocally disagreed with), but you cant blame him for the legislature in texas writing those dumb laws.

I wouldnt call him a moderate, but i also wouldnt call him a far right winger either.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I said the saem things about BOH in 2008. He has yet to run the country - preside - as a person elected to the office might traditionally but he is a rock star. From your posts you seem to like a hip young guy who is moderate to the point of liberal and gay marriage is very important to you.

This country needs a firm hand on the tiller and Rick Perry could be that hand. He won't back down when BHO and his cronies want to go at him and while he is serious about the immigration problem on his border, BHO could care less. BHO won't man the border or execute the laws he swore to uphold.
You fail to recognize the need for stronger leadership, you tell as much in your posts.

Rand Paul is not his father - Ron Paul should have been POTUS 16 years ago. Rand can only pick up that torch and learn to run with it as his father once did.

Your poll was pointless. The citizens of this country are so polarized at present they don't know what kind of leadership they have, what they need or what they want. They don't know what would be in the best interest of the country. They only know what the media tells them and that is truly sad.
For instance...would a strong financial platform or strong civil rights platform benefit the country now?

Would you rather work or marry your same sex partner? Which is for the greater good of the nation?
A working America is a prosperous/healthy America. How about balancing the budget or attempting to do so? How about avoiding a deficit? Paying down the debt?

All those attacks on Barack Obama and yet you chose to close your statement by talking about debt and deficits. The first deficit under President Obama was 1.2 trillion, the 2014 fiscal year deficit has been projected at 492 billion by the CBO and 568 billion by the White House.

Either way, its dropping, both in real numbers and as a percentage of GDP.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
Quote:

Since when is it 'either or'?

We can have both, can't we?

Strong civil rights are good for the economy and vice versa.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:

That's funny because from early on I knew he would and I knew he would be re-elected so perhaps we have different perspectives. And while I do believe we need a tight financial grasp, we need to be smart about it as we still have lingering needs. There's certain places we could cut that would bolster where we need while still having a surplus. Perry to me actually comes across as a liberal spender.

Oh and yes, marriage would be a bigger issue for me since I have a good job and the economy is seperate from marriage, I don't think one must be sacrificed for the other.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
What does Rand Paul have experience running? He's a senator. He was never a governor (like Perry), he's pretty much on the same level (leadership-wise) as Paul Ryan.
He ran his own practice which means he had employees, a budget to create and execute and decision-making experience.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
I agree that having the primaries start in the same states year after year is bad for business. Ever heard the story about insanity being try the same approach and expect a different result?
Surely, you aren't speaking of McCain and Romney being conservative.

Quote:
If they Perry, Cruz, Santorum, etc were to get the nomination, you could kiss the POTUS possibility goodbye because I would vote for Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden before either of them and I imagine most would. As much as they might appeal to the extremist, they distance moderates, independents, and won't get any of the liberal vote.
If I see liberals sniffing a Republican, I won't vote for them.

Are you saying Rick Perry, the longest serving governor in Texas history, who was elected 3 times for Governor, was elected lieutenant governor, was a captain in the Air Force, and was elected state agricultural commissioner twice is an extremist? Yeah, right. Maybe in Progressive Land.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post

Rick Perry has 3 items on his resume than Republicans do not like to see in their nominees:
  1. He was a life-long Democrat who only became a Republican in 1989;
  2. He was a strong supporter of HillaryCare in 1993;
  3. He has repeatedly demonstrated that he is anti-Life, anti-Liberty, and anti-Pursuit of Happiness, just like his anti-American liberal freak buddies.
While he may get nominated, he stands as much chance as Romney or McCain in getting elected, which is to say, none at all. I would certainly never vote for such a RINO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections